Members and injuries

I don’t remember there being the high incidence of injuries back in the day that we seem to be having today. We were way worse on nutrition and hydration, but we didn’t have the crazy direction changes and high tempo drills either. The injuries sustained in those days were more long term things – bad backs after years of carrying a tymp, etc. Today we think that was a bad idea, and rightly so.

So when is it not worth it? Should we be endangering the members for the sake of competitive edge and fulfillment of a design vision? Is it worth wiping out a season for a kid to get a “look”? Is this irresponsible?

I think one of the biggest questions is whether or not there are that many more injuries in todays drum corps than 20-40 years past. Is it that there are more, or is it just because of the internet we find out about them more often than we used to?

I am not sure that the passion of a young individual towards corps will allow them to not pursue the activity due to high risk of injury. Is it worth it? To most who love the activity, probably.

I don't think it is any different that young people pursuing athletics. The love of the game makes it worth the risk of injury. One example is a young woman on the University of Iowa basketball team. She has suffered 3 season ending ACL injuries since playing basketball at Iowa. Each year, she went through painful surgery, took the necessary time off, and made a comeback attempt, and each year following suffered another ACL. Her love and dedication to the game of basketball helped her through the pain, and kept her motivated throughout her rough times. I don't think Drum Corps is any different, as most people who do it seem to return the next year, even after the many bad times seen through the season.

Sprained ankles, heat exhaustion, headaches, torn ligaments, sprained wrists, sunburns, food poisoning, poison ivy, and many other negative events happen during the course of the summer, and yet the passion brings these young people together for many consecutive years.

I believe it is up to each individual member to decide whether or not it is worth it, with the advice of their parents, corps staff, and physician adding into the final factor.

I agree with the passion that is in the members - I was thinking more from the point of view of the show designers.

My thought would be if several members were getting injured, maybe they should look into rewriting some of the more dangerous drill. But before this, look into proper working out and exercising techniques and make sure everyone is prepared before attempting some of this drill.

of course I can't answer for other corps, but I know it seems there is more emphasis on conditioning, stretching and proper (re safe) technique now than twenty years ago.

I believe we are the probelm. We want faster and harder drill and music and thats what they give us. I've heard all year about a corps I believe in nortwest (I can't remember the name) who is playing a song that Cadets played but slower. Every comment has been "they need to play it faster" which means faster marching which leads to injuries.

Until we change the activity won't change.

My thought would be if several members were getting injured, maybe they should look into rewriting some of the more dangerous drill. But before this, look into proper working out and exercising techniques and make sure everyone is prepared before attempting some of this drill.

It may not necessarily be drill either. Contributing factors could also include things like...

Standing with toes together instead of apart (which is the natural position of the feet)

Straight-leg marching technique (extra impact on knees and hips)

Horn carriage, if elbows are too high (like Boston's parallel to the ground arm position)

Direction-change style (exagerated foot placement can put undue pressure on the knees. We had this problem initially when the placed-foot direction change style was pioneered at Suncoast Sound)

People wouldn't get hurt if their organs weren't being liquified by the amps.

*runs far, far away*

:P

I really do kid.

O.K. I'm having serious flashbacks.

For some reason I remember the Kilties in , I think '77. Seeing about 3 or 4 members entering the stadium on cruches and whole slew more with knee braces marching the show. Then it seemed a number more having to be carried of the field in Bolder. I still wonder how many of them were soccer players in disguise.

Even better it seemed that every two or three corps had someone faint during prelims. The nurse spent most of the day running back and forth from her tent taking care of the members dealing with the high altitude........... untill the Troopers came in.

They did the Civil war salute, with the Battle Hymm, flag presentation..... annnnnd shooting the "Bulgle Soloist". The highlight became watching the nurse try to figure out if he was really out or if it was part of the act. I think she scored some major G.E. points that day.