best skill to have

i asked this question in another thread and decided that it would be alright as its own thread. im going to try and rook out this next auditioning season. and im just wondering what is the best skill(s) to have musically to get into a top hornline. there are the obvious ones that I would assume for a normal audition to get into a school or something. but im just wondering if there is something that corps REALLY look for. timing? flexibility? musicality? i realize these are all important to being a well rounded player but what is the MOST important.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i asked this question in another thread and decided that it would be alright as its own thread. im going to try and rook out this next auditioning season. and im just wondering what is the best skill(s) to have musically to get into a top hornline. there are the obvious ones that I would assume for a normal audition to get into a school or something. but im just wondering if there is something that corps REALLY look for. timing? flexibility? musicality? i realize these are all important to being a well rounded player but what is the MOST important.

If I had to choose one single thing, it would be tone. In an audition situation, great tone will do more to get you into the hornline than anything else.

Good tone and a good understanding of music.

A great attitude willing to change, learn, and listen.

Other than that: Be in great shape!!!

I have a good friend who was cut from Regiment TWICE because he couldn't make the ten minute running requirement at the audition camp. He had made a 2 on music which would have let him in. He was told that he would have made it on music but his score was a 3 (cut)specifically from the running portion.

If I had to choose one single thing, it would be tone. In an audition situation, great tone will do more to get you into the hornline than anything else.

thats one of the things i figured lol so basically its just like auditioning for a music school? because i have been kinda freakin out cuz im a good player and have never not gotten accepted from one of my auditions in a situation like that but i was worried about this whole thing being different.

Members will be chosen on the basis of attitude, talent, ability to make rehearsals, and financial stability.

madison scouts

A lot of times they care a lot about marching. Because if you can't march, everyone will be able to hear your feet through the horns. In that case, mind as well throw out tone, intonation, articulation, precision out the window