best skill to have

i asked this question in another thread and decided that it would be alright as its own thread. im going to try and rook out this next auditioning season. and im just wondering what is the best skill(s) to have musically to get into a top hornline. there are the obvious ones that I would assume for a normal audition to get into a school or something. but im just wondering if there is something that corps REALLY look for. timing? flexibility? musicality? i realize these are all important to being a well rounded player but what is the MOST important.

I think there are a couple of skills you want that aren't on this list:

Flexibility and openness to instruction..

attitude.. (and I guess this falls into the above category, as well)..

I think if you look at attending your auditions as attending a master class.. soaking up as much information as possible and being as pliable in the hands of the instructors as you can.. you'll be high on their list of kids they want in their line.

I can't wait to hear "chapter two" in your drum corps life!!

Good Luck!

Stef

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there are a couple of skills you want that aren't on this list:

Flexibility and openness to instruction..

attitude.. (and I guess this falls into the above category, as well)..

I think if you look at attending your auditions as attending a master class.. soaking up as much information as possible and being as pliable in the hands of the instructors as you can.. you'll be high on their list of kids they want in their line.

I can't wait to hear "chapter two" in your drum corps life!!

Good Luck!

Stef

THANKS!! i dont know if you read my second question about good audition pieces ...i have a couple in mind but i want to have a great one...

I don't think the actual piece you play is as important as the skills you demonstrate in your performance. Even the most difficult of compositions can fail to impress if it's not played beautifully; conversely, if played well, the simpliest of tunes can demonstrate to the listener the best of your abilities.

To be honest, it depends on where you audition. Some drum corps will count your visual abilities for as much as 50% of your audition; others will not ask to see you march in the entire weekend. Some will take into account your physical condition regarding running and endurance, some will not. Some will take your physical appearance (i.e. weight) into consideration. Some will emphasize your tone quality, others your range.

You have to be more specific about where you are auditioning if you want a more coherent answer.

To be honest, it depends on where you audition. Some drum corps will count your visual abilities for as much as 50% of your audition; others will not ask to see you march in the entire weekend. Some will take into account your physical condition regarding running and endurance, some will not. Some will take your physical appearance (i.e. weight) into consideration. Some will emphasize your tone quality, others your range.

You have to be more specific about where you are auditioning if you want a more coherent answer.

as the name implys ...BD ;)

Members will be chosen on the basis of attitude, talent, ability to make rehearsals, and financial stability.

madison scouts

Ahh, now therein lies a post after my own heart. You'll notice that the first word was ATTITUDE! That is the FIRST thing that instructors look at, and don't let anyone tell you any different. You can play a horn like Maynard Ferguson in his prime, but if they don't think you can hang with their brass line through the long dog days of summer, they probably won't take you. I've seen kids get cut because of that. On the other hand, I've seen kids make the cut over people who were probably more talented, because the latter didn't have that "fire" in their belly. Madison has a kid in their Bari line this year who is at least partially deaf, but the Scouts took him on because they knew he could hang with them. He had the right ATTITUDE! If you have that, everything else will fall into your hands by itself.

I had a friend who was given a 3 for his audition at PR twice after failing to run for 10 min around a gym.

I think this is indicative of why many kids don't choose to, or are not able to participate in drum corps. One thing you could always count on back in the '70's and '80's is that every competitive corps had at least one or two "portly" fellows out there marching. When the drill demands weren't as physically demanding, more people could participate, and the "big" guy could be out there (I'm still amazed at the ability of the kids to play and march sikmultaneously as well as they do).

When I marched in the early '80's, my weight ranged from 140 to 155 lb (at 6 ft. 2 in.). Having asthma, and with the medications available back then, there's no way I would have been able to RUN for 10 minutes, and therefore would not have been able to march in a competitive corps, had the drill demands been what they are today.

I'm sure a lot of truly GREAT musicians are passed over and sour on drum corps, simply because they are overweight.

I think this is indicative of why many kids don't choose to, or are not able to participate in drum corps. One thing you could always count on back in the '70's and '80's is that every competitive corps had at least one or two "portly" fellows out there marching. When the drill demands weren't as physically demanding, more people could participate, and the "big" guy could be out there (I'm still amazed at the ability of the kids to play and march sikmultaneously as well as they do).

When I marched in the early '80's, my weight ranged from 140 to 155 lb (at 6 ft. 2 in.). Having asthma, and with the medications available back then, there's no way I would have been able to RUN for 10 minutes, and therefore would not have been able to march in a competitive corps, had the drill demands been what they are today.

I'm sure a lot of truly GREAT musicians are passed over and sour on drum corps, simply because they are overweight.

I think that's an accurate assessment. I always marched battery back in the 70's and 80's (if you want to call that marching). It was all basic back and forth, and as limited as possible because the perc instructors wanted their perc line to be as stationary as possible for execution purposes. But the choreographers eventually won out. Now they've got them doing wind sprints out there. It's gotten to the point where you don't go to Drum Corps to "get in shape". You ARRIVE "in shape", or you'll fail almost instantly. All candidates take notice.

i know you have to pick a piece to perform as well.

This is not actually true of every corps.