The best mellophones I've ever heard in a show are:

My personal favorite though, is SCV 1992. Those mellos in the Fiddler show were just plain SICK.

Good call. An oft-neglected show, but the mello ornaments in the opener were ridiculous.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

When I heard PR's mello line this year in Rockford, I knew I was hearing one of the best Regiment mello lines ever, if not one of the best ever in DCI.

I'm an admitted pit kid but also a music teacher so only have minimal experience and could never dream of being a drum corps mello player. BUT to my ears, the mello runs in PR 03 in the Canon reprise were some of the most amazing things I've ever heard.

Edited by Iplaytimpani

Star always had great mello lines, too. '91 in particular. Wow.

The two shows that made me want to play mellophone were both from '86: VK (four measures in "Goldfinger") and BD ("Spanish Fantasy").

I was thinking Star of Indiana 1991 before I even read your post! :worthy: Their entire horn book was written around their 16 (yes, 16, I was there at Finals and I counted) mellophones!

And thanks for the VK '86 plug, but honestly, do you really think we sounded that good?? :grouphug: I think half of us where playing whatever note we could hit! :worthy:

IM not sure if they were the best I have ever heard, but SCV in 1985 had four mellophones. thats it and they balanced with the rest of the line!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Santa Clara Vanguard had only 4 mellophones from at least 1985 - 1991 or 1992! The remainder of mid voices were french horns (8 of them). << See avitar :)