pittsburg kansas show fiasco

Where the hay do you live?

Bracebridge, Ontario - Canada Which is exactly halfway between the equator and the North Pole <santa>

Edited by DrumCorpsMom

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree. If you have 4 hour blocks without the mental unwinding you become mentally stronger and able to focus throughout the entire rehearsal. You can mentally unwind during the 3rd week of August :P

what he said. :)

I'm not sure that it should fall to the corps level to provide for "wellness " professionals but maybe DCI needs to ensure that professional, or at least qualified people are made available to the corps in times where member health and wellness issues come to the forefront. Filling a staff with recent age outs isn't exactly my idea of setting a corps up for success both on and off the field.

Scott Sines

First, I join in wishing well to all of those who were affected by the weather.

Second, I totally agree with you about self-imposed restraint in adverse conditions. Having managed, I know how easy it is to be so focused on the immediate task and lose sight of the environment around you.

Third, when at a contest site (as opposed to a camp or rehearsal) it falls to the show sponsors and the association to make the right call, even at the risk of the gate revenue. How many 2004 Allentowns or 2005 Bostons will we have before there's a tragedy. Thank God for the Foxboro F.D. last year and apparently the Pittsburg F.D. tonight.

I also send my my thoughts and prayers to those kids affected by the heat today. I hope and pray that there will be no lingering effects for these young people. It definantly puts everything in perspective doesn't it? I'd like to say that it is going to get cooler for all these students as they come our way to Texas, but it is predicted to be near 100 for the entire week with no rainful in the central portions of the state.

I know that BK was one of those corps in '98 that changed our rehearsal times to early morning sleep in afternoon, and ensemble in the evening. This was mostly for Florida which if you've never walked around in Orlando in August, don't try it!! Ouch, the most humidity i have ever felt. Although being a native Texan i''ll never forget that hottest place I ever stayed at. Lake Mills, Wisc. It was 105 and 100% humidity. We had a similiar situation that arose like today with many members getting sick, passing out, and even an allergic reaction to a bee sting. All in al it was in preperation for Whitewater and I had to hold up a younger member in the shower to keep him cooled off. Oh and did i fail to mention that both days we were there the tornado sirens went off. The first day we huddled in the concrete tunel in the middle of school with the town's people and the night of the performance we left because we were all fed up!! Best of luck to all and I pray for good health for the rest of the season.

Wes Perkins

BK '97 '98

Holy cow! I just finished doing some work and came to check on the show. Wow. Adding my voice to others in hoping that everyone is all right. Like everyone, I'm hoping that the corps are taking this heat very seriously. Nice to know that the school pools are being offered and used. Hope they do more indoors during the most extreme heat.

Although being a native Texan i''ll never forget that hottest place I ever stayed at. Lake Mills, Wisc. It was 105 and 100% humidity.

Wouldn't it have been raining if it were 100% humidity? :drool:

Wouldn't it have been raining if it were 100% humidity? :drool:

Funny you should ask, because as we got there the first day we had to postpone rehearsal for a couple of hours as it was raining Noah's Ark Rain. Grass field full of water plus 105 temp = lousy time at rehearsal. Plus I didn't say it, but when you have a tornado it usually rains!! :P

Wes P.

BK '97 '98