Pittsburg, KS

7/18 - Pittsburg, KS

Weather: Freaking HOT. My thermometer was reading 102 F. The show had been promoted with a 7pm start time. Arriving at the stadium (after a 2 hour drive), I see signs posted everywhere saying that the show organizers have decided to delay the show until 8pm, presumably to alleviate the heat for the first part of the show. Guess what? It's still hot, and now we're waiting--in the heat--an extra hour for the show to start. I don't know if it was the smartest move, since we all waited in the heat anyway. But I didn't hear anyone complaining, so I guess it worked out okay.

My thoughts on the corps:

Blue Stars -- 6th place -- 75.55

The Blue Stars have added narration to their show since I saw them a few weeks ago. Something about freedom. Freedom of speech, freedom of religion, freedom of.........blah, blah, blah. I don't know if it added anything to their show, but as narration goes, it wasn't totally offensive, either. It just didn't do anything for me.

The corps is performing their show nicely. It's made up of a lot of familiar music: Simple Gifts, America the Beautiful, etc. This is probably the best corps the Blue Stars have had in a long time, but I don't see them making finals. If they clean up some ensemble issues, they should be a lock for Semis.

Capital Regiment -- 7th place -- 73.20

I honestly don't remember much about CapReg's show, except that on first read, it was hard for me to follow. I didn't connect with the music at all. At times the arrangements were hard to follow, especially in the battery. They're playing a very ambitious book, which sounds an awful lot like Casella's work (is he arranging for them?). They weren't bad, but I just didn't get into the show.

Colts -- 5th place -- 77.85

I absolutely love the Colts this year. They have a nice, big sound, and their show grabs you with some familiar melodies. Of the first four corps tonight, they were the only corps that I felt was really locked in ensemble-wise. I found myself watching their very competent guard numerous times, which is unusual for this drum guy. I just wish there was more space in the top 12 for them, because I think that any other year, this show would be a lock for finals. This year, I see it in 13-14th place.

INTERMISSION -- Do we really need a break after three corps?

Blue Knights -- 4th place -- 81.80

The Blue Knights are good across the board this year. They'll be a lock for finals. I just wish they played more. This show is very heavy on pit--the horn book seems like an afterthought at times. When they do play, they are good. I just wish they had more meat to work with. As usual, their silks are beautiful. I wonder if they still have them hand-painted like in years past? Good show--I see them in 10th place this year.

Santa Clara Vanguard -- 3rd place -- 82.70

Are you kidding me? This show is freakin' great! From the opening hit, this show never stops. I do not understand why they are scoring nearly 4 points below the Cadets. There is dirt to be cleaned, but this show has potential out the wazoo. This is sure to be another underappreciated Vanguard show, which is sad because I really feel that this is a great vehicle for them. The visual design is top-notch, which surprised me, knowing that Rosander was gone this year. I don't know who's writing their drill, but I like it a lot. There are some sets that aren't quite gelling yet, but give them a couple weeks. They now truly have something moving at all times, fulfilling their show title. And the tag on the ending is very tasty, too. I love how the cymbals do their "V" as the corps does their crazy file-off behind them. Classic. This is definitely my favorite show of the year, and I would love to see them make a late surge heading into Madison. I see them anywhere between 6th-8th place.

Cavaliers -- 1st place -- 88.40

Look out. The Green Machine is coming. The Cavaliers are cleaning up their "Machine" show and adding little touches that really enhance the theme. I was not expecting them to be this good, after seeing them earlier this year, but.......dang. If I were the Blue Devils, I'd be looking over my shoulder. I wouldn't be surprised to see this show taking the title this year, at the rate they're going. Their drill has cleaned up very nicely, and at this rate it should be spotless in a month. Jim Casella has done something with the drumline that I've never witnessed before. After making his mark and establishing his "sound" with SCV, he went to the Cavies and wrote a drum book that manages to sound like a classic Cavaliers arrangement, with his own style incorporated seamlessly. It is so distinctive in both respects, that if you took the uniforms off the drumline, a drum person could tell that they were the Cavaliers, and that Casella was the arranger. The man is a genius. :drool:

My only complaint with this show is the ending. It seems very abrupt, and doesn't quite establish itself before it's over. I'm sure they're working on a new one as we speak, and will have it in place shortly.

The Cadets -- 2nd place -- 86.45

Where do I start?

Two very strange things happened with this show tonight. As they were coming onto the field, I was observing all the props, listening to the mic checks (a mic check in a drum corps show? wow), and telling myself that I was going to hate this show. There was no way I'd like it. Everything the Cadets were doing to change this activity went against everything I held dear to my heart, and there was no way I was going to like their show.

I was wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't love their show. But it wasn't the worst thing I've seen on a football field, either. I found myself not really offended by any of the singing/talking (although I would prefer to do without it). I didn't care for the props too much, but I didn't hate them, either. As much as they tried to offend my sensibilities and insult my definition of drum corps, in the end I was neither offended nor insulted. Is their show "out there"? Yes. Is it for everyone? No, definitely not. But it's not nearly as bad as what some people are making it out to be. My biggest complaint was that those darned pink tables squeak and creak every time the get moved, and that gets distracting.

The Cadets can play (very well), and they can march pretty good, too. I don't think this is one of their strongest horn lines, by far. The sopranos/trumpets sounded a little thin at times. Their drums are obviously very talented, but tonight there were a couple VERY exposed passages that just weren't that clean (actually, they were pretty ugly). Definitely not as awe-inspiring as some have suggested. Frankly, I was a little disappointed with the execution of their show. But the show itself is entertaining, right up to the end.....which brings me to the second weird thing that happened.

As the Cadets finished their show, and Danni comes out of the door for the last time, they played the last note and.....there was silence. No one clapped. Not a soul. There was complete silence. <cue crickets chirping> It was what you'd call an awkward silence. And I really don't think it was an "Is it over?" silence. I just think people were a) dumbstruck, or B) not wanting to clap because they weren't really sure if they liked it or not. It was the strangest reaction I've ever seen to the end of a show. It was almost as if, after all the "traditional" shows the audience had just seen, the Cadets' assault on their senses just overwhelmed them. And then, as the audience finally did start to applaud, they only gave polite "golf" claps, and it didn't last long. Weird.

Anyway, the Cadets were pretty good in my book, even though it wasn't exactly my cup of tea (pun intended). I see them anywhere from 2nd-5th at Finals.

Overall, a great show in a nice venue. I'd like to see a show here again next year.

7/18 - Pittsburg, KS

Capital Regiment -- 7th place -- 73.20

I honestly don't remember much about CapReg's show, except that on first read, it was hard for me to follow. I didn't connect with the music at all. At times the arrangements were hard to follow, especially in the battery. They're playing a very ambitious book, which sounds an awful lot like Casella's work (is he arranging for them?). They weren't bad, but I just didn't get into the show.

Funny you mention that...Casella is not writing for Cap Reg, but Ralph Hardimon (of SCV fame) is. Casella marched in Ralph's lines at SCV late 80's/early 90's, and learned much of his writing style from Ralph, so a lot of Casella's writing has that Ralph hardimon influence/feel. And several of Cap Reg's battery techs are former SCV members, and if I remember correctly, Murray Gusseck consulted with the line 2 or 3 times during the early part of the season to help get them going in the right direction. Cool to see that SCV percussion influence.

Cap Reg has a very solid program and talented staff...look for some great things from them in the years to come as they move up the DCI Division I ladder.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't love their show. But it wasn't the worst thing I've seen on a football field, either. I found myself not really offended by any of the singing/talking (although I would prefer to do without it). I didn't care for the props too much, but I didn't hate them, either. As much as they tried to offend my sensibilities and insult my definition of drum corps, in the end I was neither offended nor insulted. Is their show "out there"? Yes. Is it for everyone? No, definitely not. But it's not nearly as bad as what some people are making it out to be.

This is exactly how I feel about this show. Every year I find myself thinking I won't like the Cadets (for some reason or another) and every year they find ways to make me admire them. This year's show, while "out there" as you said, has some unbelievable talent, and the judges seem to be able to take it all in and score them accordingly. I think their scores recently are about right, maybe even a tad high (out of respect?), but I see them finishing in 4th or 5th, behind or ahead of the Bluecoats.

I drove to the show last night - from Lenexa, KS. Several corps marched holes last night. I knew the Capital Regiment had 10 members go down earlier in the day due to heat exhaustion.

I am glad to see the Blue Stars back. They still had some alignment problems on linear forms. They have a full sound and decent guard. There were a couple timing issues in the guard. A pole got caught in one guard member's skirt and caused her to be off for several counts. Overall, this is a pleasant show to watch.

Colts have a solid show this year. Many alignment problems have been cleaned up since when I saw them earlier in the season. They have a strong guard, good drill, and big sound. Basic marching fundamentals have really improved in this corps.

Capital Regiment has improved since last year. I can see potential in their show. Their are timing issues in the guard and alignment problems to correct. However, I believe this corps is moving in the right direction. This is not an easy show.

The Blue Knights have a unique marching style at times and pull it off quite well. It reminds me of how the Star of Indiana's guard used to march (flexing the toe). It is effective. The corps has good field coverage and does a nice spiral for great effect.

Santa Clara Vanguard has a great show this year. I am surprised that they aren't scoring higher. The rifle line is unbelievable with their one-handed catches. The show has continuous motion. There were a couple spots holes tonight. This show has a lot of potential, especially when it is cleaned.

The Cavaliers have cleaned their show quite a bit since when I saw them earlier. Most linear forms are straight. I appreciate how audiance is brought into the show with some of their moves. The hornline, percussion, and guard all get to role-play robots in this show. The guard outfits fit nicely into this show and help bring out the theme. The ending of this show needs work. It seems to end too early. However, I know that they are making some changes in the coming weeks. This is a very strong Cavalier show this year.

I had mixed feelings about seeing The Cadets, especially from what I've read this year on DCP. However, I must admit that I enjoyed this show. I don't think anything in the show went too far. I did not know when the show ended. It just seemed to end. The people around me said the same thing. However, re-writes are now being done on the show. I was expecting The Cadets to do more with the pink tables with the guard. I would have preferred the guard to use rifles instead of sabres on the tables. I think rifles stand out more from that distance from the stands. In addition, I know The Cadets have a great guard so I would have liked to see more equipment work at times in the show. Personally, I would take the tables out of the show. I appreciated how the backdrops highlights the show and the back of the uniforms.

Overall, a very good show tonight despite the HEAT!

Just an FYI: The delay of the start of the show was due as much because of the many members of corps that had gone down as it was to protect the fans from the heat. At 6:15 PM, the field temperature was recorded at 135 degrees. NOT a very good thing to march on.

Personally, I think all the corps performed way beyond expectations after having practiced the whole day in 112+ degree heat indexes. I know the temperature hit 108 for the Blue Stars practice in Augusta, KS on Monday. These were a couple of brutal days for all the corps and they deserve alot of credit for their performances last night.

Edited by kansasDC

I heard that Capital Regiment had 10 members go down due to heat exhaustion during rehearsal prior to the contest. I believe the heat got to a lot of people. I believe that is why most of the corps performing had holes. However, the members put on an excellent show, especially when you consider the heat.

Does anyone know why The Cadets appear to have to fill more spots this year during the season than usual? They are currently looking to fill a contra spot. Staff members informed me that they have had more injuries this year than in previous years. I know of at least 4 horn positions that have come open during the season so far.

Here is the news story from the Pittsburg, KS paper:

Several fall to heat exhaustion

After more than a dozen band members taken to hospital, performance postponed an hour

By MATTHEW CLARK

Morris News Service

Between 12 and 18 members of bands involved with the Brass Spectacular Drum and Bugle Corps Competition were taken to Mt. Carmel Regional Medical Center with cases of heat exhaustion.

"It does not appear that any of those will be hospitalized," Mt. Carmel Regional Medical Center Community Relations Director Rob Poole said.

To curb the situation, officials with Crawford County EMS pulled every band off their respective practice fields and the competition was pushed back to 8 p.m. on Tuesday.

"We had so many go down and hydration is a problem," Crawford County EMS Director Joey Adams said. "Once seven or eight go down, that is time to get them out of the heat."

Adams said that EMS crews were stretched thin during the incident. Six of the seven EMS ambulances were in service at the Garfield W. Weede Gymnasium and there were two other calls for heat exhaustion and an injury accident in Pittsburg at the same time.

"We just have to do the best that we can," Adams said. "If we get too strapped, we'll tap Fort Scott, Labette County or as far as I need to go."

Pittsburg State University Associate Director of Bands Doug Whitten said he decided to push the competition back after he met with band directors, the Pittsburg Fire Department and Crawford County EMS.

"It is hot ... simply that ... We want to prevent any more heat injuries," Whitten said.

In order to cool those members that were coming off practice fields, the Pittsburg Fire Department set up their aerial truck as a mister so that band members could stand underneath to get cool.

"Our primary concern is getting them fluids and getting them cooled down," Pittsburg Fire Chief Don Elmer said.

Even Pittsburg Police and Pittsburg Fire departments were stretched thin because of the incident.

"We have all of our resources here at the Weede," Pittsburg Police Lt. Craig Farnsworth said.

Elmer said that the fire department was also stressed during the incident at PSU.

On the other hand, Poole said that Mt. Carmel was prepared with extra manpower for the situation.

"We are in the emergency business so we were not seriously taxed," Poole said. "We called people in and everything ran smoothly."

In addition to EMS crews, Poole said that Mt. Carmel Care Vans were on hand to take non-emergency cases to the hospital for evaluation.

"The kids and the sponsors did an excellent job under the situation," Poole said.

Since heat exhaustion takes time to set in, officials were worried that there may be more cases later in the day.

Farnsworth said that when Pittsburg Police arrived there were between four or five that were suffering from heat exhaustion.

"Then you had some of them come in and start to feel poorly," Farnsworth said.

Band members knew there was the potential for issues while practicing in temperatures that approached 100 degrees.

"Even drinking a lot of water, you are sweating up a storm," Jonathon Radwan, a member of the Capital Regiment, said. "Carrying a heavy drum doesn't make it any better."

Radwan said that he was practicing when EMS crews began to arrive at the Weede.

"When we came back from our food break, we noticed ambulances outside and people were gathering under trees ... the group there got larger and larger," Radwan said.

Bridget Milddaugh, Seattle, Wash., helps man the souvenir stand for the Cadets, the current champion corps. She also saw the EMTs working on those suffering from heat exhaustion. "One of the EMTs asked me if I was all right and tried to put a towel on my face," she said. "I said, 'I'm good, I'm just going to take a shower'."

"It's been a rough day," added Brian Matthews, Denver, Colo., a member of the Colts. He said that it gets hot in Denver "but the humidity is nothing like this."

"Our staff has been good, though," said Kevin Kahl, Allentown, Pa. another Colts member. "They've kept us drinking constantly."

They were both glad that the evening performance was delayed an hour, but said they would have been disappointed if it had been canceled.

"It was really too hot to have people sitting out there any earlier," Kahl said. "Performances are what keep us going through the summer. Without performances, it's just rehearsals, and that stinks."

Nice reviews to both of you. I enjoyed those. Must have been a real hot one for sure. I just hope the kids are all recovering and it sounds like the audience managed to deal with the heat as well.

Jonathan

I heard that Capital Regiment had 10 members go down due to heat exhaustion during rehearsal prior to the contest. I believe the heat got to a lot of people. I believe that is why most of the corps performing had holes. However, the members put on an excellent show, especially when you consider the heat.

Does anyone know why The Cadets appear to have to fill more spots this year during the season than usual? They are currently looking to fill a contra spot. Staff members informed me that they have had more injuries this year than in previous years. I know of at least 4 horn positions that have come open during the season so far.

I believe it is luck of the draw mainly.

Most of the time when an injury occurs it's just a preexisting injury creeping back up. As for the people who have gone home, 1 was due to stress fractures caused by running on asphalt during spring training, 1 was a quiet guy that apparently never talked to anybody who just went home after a show one night, and the recent tuba player had a hernia and needed surgery. Don't know about any others.