Blue Stars

Beer and pretzels? Well, that probably comes from the fact that we have a brewery in LaCrosse, and the favorite passtime of 18 yr old stars when I was in corps was to do the tours on our day off...Oh, remember Monday's off?

Beer and Blue Stars in the 60s and 70s...Like hot dogs a ketchup...

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beer and pretzels? Well, that probably comes from the fact that we have a brewery in LaCrosse, and the favorite passtime of 18 yr old stars when I was in corps was to do the tours on our day off...Oh, remember Monday's off?

Beer and Blue Stars in the 60s and 70s...Like hot dogs a ketchup...

I remember taking tours at the brewery. There was a girl from UW-L Marching Chiefs who was a bartender there and kept feeding us beer. It was not good beer, but it was free. I should really go on the tour sometime....not just sit there and drinking beer.

I also remember going to practice at the fest ground and stopping at the Artisan Well at Heileman’s to fill up our water jugs. JoeB, you were there.

Beer and Pretzels? My Blue Star coat still has an Old Style patch on it. I played Soularo for several years, but I would like to see tunes like Chicago, I’ve been searching and The Beatles, Norwegian Wood. I would love to see them break top 12 but I am also very proud of where they have placed so far. Great rebuilding effort!!! Don’t give up, you’re not out of it yet.

Hey Albs - I agree -- I hope the corps continues to program crowd-pleasing/accessible music -- this year's show is very accessible which is a good thing -- but I wouldn't mind seeing the corps program something other classical music -- the Blue Stars roots are in jazz/latin/rock -- it would be great to see them program something along those lines --

It would be nice to see a corps program a show for the audience instead of trying to impress the judges with how sophisticated their musical selection is --- go down that route and you're just another circle within the circle esoteric drum corps -- sure you have the respect of the judges but you'll never have the love of the audience.

Here's to the beer and hotdog fans!

Reed

They are outscoring 8 other DI corps right now, including quasi-perennial finalist Crossmen. I think that is dang good for a "first" year DI corps!

I have to agree--having seen the Crossmen earlier in the year and admiring their history--I'd have to say I'd be pretty proud to have my corps in this kind of company!

Since I live in Georgia, I've only been able to see one show so far this season (Powder Springs, June 23). During the Cadets' performance, the reaction of those sitting around me was unanimously negative. The guy sitting in front of me shouted, "NOT DRUM CORPS!!!!!" after the "History Repeating" section at the top of his lungs. During the percussion feature with all the talking, he kept shaking his head in disgust and explaining to his wife how he couldn't believe drum corps had decayed to this point.

your talking cadets and we are talking about blue stars both corps use amps but both are totally different shows

how are yah Mike?

in regards to my spelling problem....I don't see it as a problem, I can read it almost as well as I can write it....:) pfft

joeB

Did I bust on your spelling? Sorry Joe.

I agree with Reed on the music, but with one strong point...wasn't that the downfall of Madison in the early 2K's? I'm still a fan of Velvet Knights, I have an mp3 of the 87 show I listen to weekly. I can't say for sure that Blue Stars can or cannot do a crowd pleasing show and still be competitive. I know that is what I would like to see, but I really think I am in the minority anymore. Even when I marched, I think most people where music majors, but I wasn’t one. I liked BD, Madison, Older Cavies (Planets). Songs I actually knew.

Ok Back on topic…I will still be there cheering on Blue Stars if they have narrations or not, if I don’t understand the show, or I have the normal confused look on my face during the show. I will still be there for the members. I will still be proud to say I marched there. I still know how hard those guys are working, how huge the commitment is and how great all the performers are. Just because I don’t know the music, I can still see the great talent and drive the members have.

BTW, the first time I will see the BS show will be in Madison on Thursday afternoon, then Friday and hopefully Saturday. I know there are corps from 13-18 that are all really close score wise. I just wish BS the best of luck.

I remember taking tours at the brewery. There was a girl from UW-L Marching Chiefs who was a bartender there and kept feeding us beer. It was not good beer, but it was free. I should really go on the tour sometime....not just sit there and drinking beer.

I also remember going to practice at the fest ground and stopping at the Artisan Well at Heileman’s to fill up our water jugs. JoeB, you were there.

ahh the artisian well ahh :)

my fav memory is when ever I smell a brewery I think of marching basics in the early morning at the festgrounds

but man those mosquesto's that come out around run through time... man they suck

you always had 3rd st if you were 21 year old :)

ahh the artisian well ahh :)

my fav memory is when ever I smell a brewery I think of marching basics in the early morning at the festgrounds

but man those mosquesto's that come out around run through time... man they suck

you always had 3rd st if you were 21 year old :)

I always had trouble telling the difference between the Brewery and the Sewage treatment plant right by the brewery. Those hot days with a south wind...Argh!

But those were the days!