on the carelessness of the development of drill design

To the best of my knowledge, an individual rises to the position of drill designer through a very informal process involving not much more than marching and teachign in a particular drum corps. It appears that marching and teaching experience are the only qualifications required for the drill designer position. There is no degree, no formal education, no solid foundation of collective theory. It seems that drill designers take the position first and then later on perfect their craft through experience. Essentially, drill designers are learning on the job. They don't write a single set before actually coming into the position. It seems to me that there should be some system of practice, some theoretical analysis of drill to study before taking the position. The existing body of knowledge seems to reside in casual conversation between the specialized experts. Conventions that we take for granted never appear to be scrutinized or methodically studied. Where did the rotating block come from and why is it still here. When did the great minds convene to rationaly and objectively conclude that the rotating block is a worthwhile method? I fear that there is no great theoretical body, no real school of thought. I fear that the drill I watch and march is created by a few specialized individuals who are self-proclaimed masters. Let us painstakingly scrutinize the modern conventions and improve upon them through our intelect. Let us not be so trusting. Let us question the current custodians of the art.

I'm glan you know so much!! <**> <**>

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you sure you're not SILVERDOTS?!?!?!?!?!?

(You RAMD'ers that know Stuart Rice have GOT to remember SILVERDOTS!!!)

exactly...there the crux of it all...the fact remains, that any course you can take to learn the craft...it is far outdated, and what we do is more of a trade than anything else..with this you learn by doing, not by going to school, same with anything else visually in the activity, the best guard designers did not go to school to learn there craft, they learned by doing it and learning from other peers in the activity, now if the great masters(hehe) decided to teach a course at a university, than there would be a great cause to take a course, but as far as learning the art of drill design in a college type setting ...you must first look at the teachers of the course, to determine what you would be learning.....( those teachers have been out of the activity for a while)and the main point, let us all not forget that this is a cultish activity, and no one in the REAL world gives a darn about competative marching band and drum corps, we are lucky to have the talented designers that we do have and let us hope they continue to pass the torch to new and talented young designers to take their place...may the apprenticeships continue!

You say that no one in the REAL word cares about drum corps. I'd offer that our general lack of scrutiny with respect to the visual element helps to cause this indifference. The vast majority of people in the world do not associate with or recognize drum corps because it is perhaps too underdeveloped to capture the attention of the "REAL world." I agree that the dynamics of master and apprentice are crutial in producing artists and experts at the trade, but if the study and execution of the artform was taken more seriously perhaps we would start catching the attention of the "REAL world." That, I believe, is the true test. Perhaps drum corps is not a medium that has the potential of developing to the point of great literature or music. Perhaps its simply not possible to create something as beautiful and poignant with a drum corps than with canvas. I hope that it is and I have hope. I believe that we can move towards that point through an intellectual approach. Yes you need experience, but I also believe that formulaic study would greatly help develop the artform. Yes we are lucky to have the creative talent that exists now but we can imporve upon that. The way to make the "REAL world" appreciate drum corps is not through a defence of its merits but a display of its virtues. Lets show the real world how powerful drum corps can be. Lets take what we have and make it better.

Buddy, the real world digs Ashlee Simpson and American Idol.

Drum corps is more than a bit too "high brow" for 90% of Americans. And making all the drill look the same isn't going to change that.

The vast majority of people in the world do not associate with or recognize drum corps because it is perhaps too underdeveloped to capture the attention of the "REAL world."

Or perhaps quite the opposite...maybe drum corps takes itself too seriously and is overdeveloped to the point that it is beyond the comprehension of the "real" world.

Or perhaps quite the opposite...maybe drum corps takes itself too seriously and is overdeveloped to the point that it is beyond the comprehension of the "real" world.

:worthy:

Remembering when most of the crowd in the 1970s couldn't read a note of music and wasn't related to someone in a corps.

Today it's DC people playing to other DC people and their families and friends.

And what is wrong with that? Honestly, if drum corps was acceptable to the "real world" like most popular music or TV is, I would want absolutely nothing to do with it.

Popularity=lowest common denominator. I watch and listen to drum corps to get away from all of that garbage. I for one don't want it to be popular. Because it would probably be crap.

Edited by G-Cym

Buddy, the real world digs Ashlee Simpson and American Idol.

Drum corps is more than a bit too "high brow" for 90% of Americans. And making all the drill look the same isn't going to change that.

Yes, making all drill look the same will not attract 90% of Americans. I certainly hope that you did not get the impression that I want all drill too look the same. If anything I think more variety is needed.

Yes you are right. Drum Corps is too high-brow to attract the "market" I'll call it. But so is Shakespeare, Picaso, Bach, and Aristotle; yet these giants are essentially unanimously renowned for there artistic contribution. The majority of the population is not going to dig great art. That, unfortunately, is how it goes in Capitalistic societies where top ten songs are bought and sold by corporations rather than produced by artists. Drum Corps may not ever be as popular, or rather as consumable, as Ashlee Simpson, but I think it has potential to be as beautiful or artistic as other great art mediums.

You say that no one in the REAL word cares about drum corps. I'd offer that our general lack of scrutiny with respect to the visual element helps to cause this indifference. The vast majority of people in the world do not associate with or recognize drum corps because it is perhaps too underdeveloped to capture the attention of the "REAL world." I agree that the dynamics of master and apprentice are crutial in producing artists and experts at the trade, but if the study and execution of the artform was taken more seriously perhaps we would start catching the attention of the "REAL world." That, I believe, is the true test. Perhaps drum corps is not a medium that has the potential of developing to the point of great literature or music. Perhaps its simply not possible to create something as beautiful and poignant with a drum corps than with canvas. I hope that it is and I have hope. I believe that we can move towards that point through an intellectual approach. Yes you need experience, but I also believe that formulaic study would greatly help develop the artform. Yes we are lucky to have the creative talent that exists now but we can imporve upon that. The way to make the "REAL world" appreciate drum corps is not through a defence of its merits but a display of its virtues. Lets show the real world how powerful drum corps can be. Lets take what we have and make it better.

And I say It is improving every year !! what are you seeing?/ What can you bring to the table as a designer that will make it better??

Send in your resume of design and let's get you hired. Cause I will go to every show i can and buy the season pass to see what you create that will be SOOOO new , so fresh that all other designers will bow at your feet !! The new MAster has arrived and we shall follow our new " Golden Child " . We will drink the kool -aid as you show us the light !! Please !PLEASE !!! Be our beacon , our lighthouse out of the darkness !! Show me the way to enlightenment and i shall be your grasshopper !! LAy your creative hand upon my eyes so i can see the LIGHT . Please Master Please !!

:worthy: SHOW ME THE WAY , be my :angel: of hope , The one to save the visual world from the path of destruction !!

:worthy: I so see your way !! b**bs ^0^