Madison to Milwaukee Airport

I need some help. My son is filling a hole for the Cadets which requires me to fly him back from Finals to Portand, OR on the 13th. Needless to say the one way flights remaining out of Madison this late are $650+. It's cheaper to have him fly out of Milwaukee. I need to know how long it takes to get from Madison over to the Milwaukee airport so I can get him there and then drive back to Madison to catch my plane that leaves around 11:00am. Given that it is Sunday morning I can't imagine that traffic would be bad. It looks like it's about 75 miles so I'm estimating about an hour and a half. Any local input I can get is very much appreciated! :)

It's about an hour and twenty minutes if you observe all the speed laws. Or an hour if an Illinoisan is driving...:P

Edited by mobrien

An hour might be a little optimistic. I've lived in SE Wisconsin my whole life, and unless you are doing 90+, I don't think you could ever make it from Madison to Mitchell Int'l Airport in Milwaukee in one hour. Hour and a half is more realistic, assuming you are driving "normally" (i.e. a little bit over the speed limit).

You're right about Sunday mornings though, it's the best time to be on Milwaukee freeways (very little traffic).

An hour might be a little optimistic. I've lived in SE Wisconsin my whole life, and unless you are doing 90+, I don't think you could ever make it from Madison to Mitchell Int'l Airport in Milwaukee in one hour. Hour and a half is more realistic, assuming you are driving "normally" (i.e. a little bit over the speed limit).

You're right about Sunday mornings though, it's the best time to be on Milwaukee freeways (very little traffic).

Give yourself 2 hours at a minimum. That'll give you a little "wiggle room" for pit breaks and getting lost.

Give yourself 2 hours at a minimum. That'll give you a little "wiggle room" for pit breaks and getting lost.

I work in Madison. Used to work in Milwaukee.

I'm with Bill on this and would give myself two hours. Ya wanna stop for coffee, right?

The online maps say 80 miles, but depending on where you are in Madison, construction can be an issue this summer.

I-94 is crawling with cops in the summer nabbing Illinoisans, so watch that. On I-94 as you get closer to Oconomowoc/Pewaukee (before Milwaukee), watch for cops sitting on top of the overpasses.

Also...

Be sure to use the I-894 bypass to get to the airport. Too much construction in downtown Milwaukee on I-94 that could set you back depending on lane closures or ramp closures.

I would also estimate 1hr 20min is about the best time that you could expect. I generally don't go over 75 at night on I-94 between Madison and Milwaukee because you run into a lot of county sheriff and small towns that like to sit on the interstate and run radar at night when they get bored.