Late Season Show Snafu's

Has anyone ever seen a top 12 corps have a major meltdown late in the season? Finals week or close to? Any famous stories?

I'm looking for MAJOR VISUAL show problems - something like 10 members taking a spill resulting in several sets being totally screwed up. Or, a large prop falling over making it impossible to manuver around? Has something ever happened that forced a corps to restart their show from the beginning?

I ask only because I've never seen anything like this happen late in the season. Early on, sure, but not anywhere near finals week.

One of the things I do remember in 99 Cadets had huge tarps set up on the field to represent New York. A wind gust came up that night and starting blowing these tarps around. About 10 people from staff and volunteers went out on the field to hold the mats down, otherwise could have been disastrous.

The only other big one I can remember abouta week before finals, Phantom Regiment had a horn player(contra I seem to recall) collide/fall when they were marching backwards, and caused a huge pile-up of about 10-12 members. I want to say this was in 98. I believe they had just changed their drill that week.

1988 -- BD sop soloist bowing his big moment on finals night!

1981 -- BD's snare line blowing MAJOR chunks during their percussion feature at finals!

1984 -- Phantom Reg pit equipment falling over (listen to recording) during ballad section of "Armenian Dances."

I would have to say 72 SCV...They were up on Blue Stars by 2.7 and Kingsmen by over 3 points after Prelims, only to finish 3rd come finals..There's actually a story behind Vanguard's fall that night...Hopefully PeeWee will see this and give details since he's an old guy.. :P ....Hint: Involves a broken watch, 1/2 mile sprint to stadium in uniform and horns, and a hornline which phased the first part of the show....Was it a half mile or more?? Darn memory!!!

I can't tell you for sure how many people went down but in 88 during Finals for DCI South in Birmingham, during the final drill move when the Madison hornline was unwinding the spiral, one guy fell (didn't see what happened to cause it - but it looked like maybe somebody stepped on his foot or something) and because of the file that was moving from left to right (from the audience perspective) across the front sidline at least 3 or four more horns went down as they piled up.

The amazing thing was that because they recovered so fast, it didn't last long. And everybody was back up way before the last chord.

(This is the same corps that one DCI a few weeks later...)

not a major snafu...just funny. I think it KK last year in San Antonio. One of the contras lost a bell during the opener...don't know how, it just went rolling away (I didn't even know they came off). He marched the rest of the show with a curled brass bazooka on his shoulder. Kudos to him for making him look like he didn't notice it though. It was the funniest looking thing I have ever seen a field judge carry off the field.

He marched the rest of the show with a curled brass bazooka on his shoulder. Kudos to him for making him look like he didn't notice it though.

OK, now thats an image I'm gonna be giggling about all night! What a hoot it must be to be inside your head!

This happened in 1989.

I stand correctomundoed!! Thanks!

:)

not a major snafu...just funny. I think it KK last year in San Antonio. One of the contras lost a bell during the opener...don't know how, it just went rolling away (I didn't even know they came off). He marched the rest of the show with a curled brass bazooka on his shoulder. Kudos to him for making him look like he didn't notice it though. It was the funniest looking thing I have ever seen a field judge carry off the field.

I think Kanstul contras/tubas have detachable bells.

Does anyone have a picture of this? :P