Drum Corps on The Thames/ New London, CT, Show

I was really hoping that someone else would offer us their thoughts and impressions on this show. I love reviews ... for shows I've seen and those I cannot attend.

I also love drum corps shows and this was a very good night.

The clouds were hanging low over the field on the hill behind the school in Uncasville, CT, last Saturday for The Division II/III “Drum Corps on the Thames” Show, but the spirits were running high. Those of us in the northeast who have seen a few too many shows cancelled this summer due to rain, field conditions and other scenarios, were ready to hold up giant umbrellas over the field if we could just get to see the show. The cloud cover gave us a nice gift, though. Really good acoustics. The sound just hung there in the moist air and plastered our smiling faces. It was a happy crowd.

The show was ably sponsored by the good people from the Surfers Alumni Association and 7th Regiment, whom I learned were named for a Civil War unit out of Fort Trumbull. Their program says they are looking for more kids for next year who want to “work hard and have fun“. If you know a kid who needs a corps in central CT, tell them to go work hard with the other good kids in 7th Regiment. Looks like will also have a lot of fun.

I got there just in time for the start of the show and several corps were still arriving. Early arrivals were up the hill behind the field, latecomers were packed in the lot at the bottom of the field. The crowd was good sized for the start of the show and grew much bigger by the end. I imagine many drove considerable distances like myself, but it was well worth the effort. Many of the kids from the first half of the program joined us in the stands for the second half and they were a great addition to the audience.

First off was the new corps from Brooklyn, Vision Elite. I saw no sousaphones anywhere. What I did see was a team of highly talented kids putting on a very lively and entertaining performance. I saw a really nice horn line, a very able drumline, a small but competent pit and a guard with good dance moves who are picking up flagwork in quick order. What I also saw was kids neatly dressed in dark red t-shirts and a drum major in a white t-shirt with black pants on all. Guard wore all black with a colorful scarf worn in various manners according to individual style. I went to their website. They are looking for volunteers to help the corps on their road to Madison, including people who sew. Uniforms are in the hands of those who can and those who care. This corps is going up. This was only their third show and I was not the only one in the audience who was impressed. Someone is teaching these kids what they need to know.. They have marching skills. I simply love their hornline. I do not like to count, but I believe they have four trumpets, all talented, two with good solo ability. They have three mellos on brass tone instruments. Their upper brass sound is quite well developed. They have, I think four euphoniums, one very skilled, two who have chops but are still learning to wrestle this beast and the other with developing skills in both areas. They could use a few more baritones and are working out balance issues in lower brass. They have a small tight impressive battery. Two or three highly skilled snares, one excellent tenor, four, maybe five, bass. Strong lead bass player. They have chosen wisely to lead off with an Earth Wind and Fire medley and to end with a jiving rendition of Quincy Jones’ Birdland. What a great way to start off the show. Yowsa!

Next to take the field were Targets. They are doing a well put together Gloria Estefan show with Conga, Coming Out of the Dark and Get on Your Feet. They had the audience clapping along with the last one. Guard is wearing hot pink dresses that would make Gloria proud. They start off with red fans and have some really nice flags. They also have some decent weapon work, particularly a saber. They had my favorite guard flag of the night. A long sheer blue deal with two poles, ably handled by a guard soloist who flowed toward the rear of the field in Coming Out of the Dark with it trailing behind her like a cape. Very nice. They have a more interesting drill this year and with it, they are working on hornline stamina. The new white uniforms they got last year look sharp and crisp. I like the way this corps seems to appreciate and encourage all comers. It is a win/win situation for the kids the corps … and the audience, who “got on their feet” when they passed in review.

Next on was the Raiders, who received a big welcome applause as DIV III champs. They have a smaller hornline, this year and, I think, a bigger guard. The theme is Coast To Coast. They are using beige cloth panels across the front of the field behind the pit for staging for the guard, who surprise us with three uniform changes. Some very nice solo work in the guard. They have an audience grabbing opener with the horns and battery marching in small close rank units in moving straight line patterns with a guard girl playing traffic detail with a whistle. The theme is Coast to Coast and they open in Big Apple with Adam Gorb’s Awayday. The guard adds flowing skirts for ballet style moves in the ballad, Pat Metheney’s Letters from Home and they all finish in west coast fashion Strawberry Soup. The hornline is loud , competent and appear to be having a great time and draw the audience in well. Good show, good corps, and they may, indeed, be having some good news letters to send home from Madison, come August.

There was a slight pause in the schedule (which was running ahead of time) before the next corps, the Blue Saints, who then made haste playing Get Me to the Church on Time. Fun opener. They followed with a traditional version of Ave Maria . This is a corps with kids of many ages, young to older, and they make efforts to maximize themselves by moving people to second instruments at times. The announcer made mention of the fact that this is the oldest continuously operating corps from Canada, and we were all happy they made the trip. As one of their first shows they are clearly learning on their feet and they are doing well. They closed with a lively rendition of Billy Idol’s White Wedding . They did a very good job with this last one and it was clearly the most popular with the kids in the corps as well as the audience, who applauded enthusiastically. I look forward to seeing the progress they make in the next few weeks.

Spirit of Newark NJ was next on the field. They have replaced their blue and white uniform jackets with white and black ones with sashes. I think this is a nice improvement. They look sharp and it is not just the jackets, they have made a strong effort to improve their visual skills. I would say their hornline is playing with more confidence this year. Improved visuals can do this for a corps. Last year near the end of the season I went down to field for their last show and I was surprised by the intensity at field level that was not quite making it all the way up in the stands. This year they are focusing upward. Their drill is more eye-catching with a moves like a nice horn ripple during a drum feature. They again have a very nice drum feature in both the battery and pit. You can feel the audience anticipate this and move with the beat. It reverberates through the stands. It is good to see them having some much deserved success this year. Keep up the good work, Spirit.

The next corps were the Citations, one of the only corps I have actually seen earlier this season and I must say, they are MUCH improved. When I first saw them in Nashua, I could see they are putting together a good show this year. It is called Labor’s of Love and I would say this describes what is happening within this corps well. They are going Broadway again with music from Aida, Rent and Wicked. The hornline is quite a bit smaller than last year, but they have the cream and, like cream, they are rising to the top. They are another corps that has made improvement in visual performance. Nice sound in the hornline and they are hitting their impact points. The guard is bigger and better this year. Much improved skills. Good staging. They have a pleasant and well done boy/girl scene with two couples for Another Pyramid/My Strongest Suit from Aida. Musically, this was my favorite piece from them for the night. Defying Gravity looks like it is becoming a corps anthem and it is a big crowd pleaser. Considering how much improved they are in just a few shows, I hope to see their momentum carry them through to a medal in Madison... Go for it, Citations.

Next on the field was St. John’s. Their show theme is Eccentricity and that it was. They open with the theme from Lost In Space, move on to Danny Elfman’s Back to School, go traditional with Swearingen’s Into the Joy of Spring and jump back to Elfman with Nightmare Before Christmas. They have what look to be some eccentric props, too. Six neon colored upside down oil drums scattered on the field. These are not just props. They prove to be percussion instruments. Even though I think they may have been made of heavy plastic, they still looked heavy and bulky when the drummers picked them up and moved them around. As the announcer quipped afterward, this is one of the few times when the drums looked to be almost as big as some of the drummers. This corps is young in age, although I see several seasoned veterans out there on the field. Yes, they have a tiny hornline and at one point it was augmented by four of the guard girls who picked up mellos and joined the hornline. Guard judge took a break and brass field judge took them in. A couple of the percussion switched captions, too, I think. Pretty nice pit, especially when a couple of kids from the battery put down their field drums and go to drum sets. I saw a little guard girl carrying a lot of brass off the field while the other girls handled the guard equipment. Speaking of the guard, St John’s always has nice flags and guard. Did I enjoy the show? Yes. I did.

The last Division III corps of the night was the hosts, 7th Regiment. This corps knows how to put a good show theme together and they pay attention to details. It is fun to perform and to watch and it challenges it’s members to learn and grow. This year they are doing “Drive Time” and they cover huge repertoire with bits and pieces from 14 songs, from Beatles to Beach Boys, to Black-Eyed Peas to Garth Brooks to Bizet. They must have remote on that car radio, because the guard girls keep their hands on the wheel in the opener (well, except maybe that one time they flipped them in the air … don’t you just wish you could do that when you are stuck in traffic? … like I said this is a fun show) They also set up some low overpasses for them to motor over. The drill design is advanced for the size and ability of the corps. The hornline is working hard here. The battery is small but pretty darn good. This is an entertaining and energetic show. They put forth a good effort for the home crowd and they have many supporters.

About this time you see the first of the Division II corps advancing toward the field and you stop and think that you have already seen a good show … eight very competitive corps. Had the show ended here, I would still say it was well worth the trip and the ticket.

Once upon a time I would have said to you no summer would be complete for me without catching Vanguard, Cavaliers, Phantom, Scouts, Cadets, … (and Troopers) …etc, etc. etc. Now I know my summer’s were incomplete whenever I missed shows such as these Division III kids on the rise.

And now, I think it safe to say, my summer need include Jersey Surf, East Coast Jazz and Spartans squaring off. It’s showdown … err … showtime!

If I am going to be honest (and please remember that I do try to always be positive and honest in my opinions) then I have to say that I personally feel that the lighting at this particular field is not the best for larger corps. There are real dead zones that do affect GE. Those of you who attend many shows will understand that this is not unique to this field and should just be accepted as a part of life in drum corps. This is not intended to be criticism toward the hosts. They are good people and the school who lets their field be used for shows is to be commended, not vilified. I am just stating facts, here. It affected two of the DIV II corps more than the other Saturday night.

East Coast Jazz was first of the three to come out … with the clear intent on reminding us that they are Div II World Champs. Hard to believe it was the first time I have gotten to see their show this year, although I have spoken to many drum corps friends who have already had the pleasure this summer. I have had varying reports up to this time. If there is anyone out there who had any doubts, have no more … East Coast Jazz is alive and well and intent on being at the top again. This was a good effort. A nice show. They open with the corps spread out as far as the stage right end zone and a trio at center front ... one very good trumpet, a mello and a baritone. There is a cozy club feeling going on here. Pull up your table and kick back. The corps zigs and zags into their next formation as the trio entertains us. All of a sudden they are there in the spotlight, too, and they open up and hit you with the full sound of their hornline. Nice. The tempo is upbeat and the hornline is moving smoothly. Their drill is quite clean. They have their usual trumpet solos with a nice baritone one in the mix this year. Their guard is lovely in spandex with bright blue on the bottom, mint green on top with shiny silver scarves wrapped about their waists. Many have their hair loose and the effect is casual night on the town. Their flags are solid colored, first yellow, later burnt orange and medium reddish purple at the end. Their guard may be smaller this year but they are highly skilled. And, again, quite clean. The battery and pit is indeed quite large. I think I counted nine snares, four or five tenors and five bass. Many mallets in the pit. There are at least three percussion features and they are very, very, very good. After what a friend had to say, I was expecting them to knock me off my seat as a great drumline will do to my mystified soul, but this did not happen for me on Saturday night. There is a hey, how are you hand visual in the middle somewhere and they go into “Take the A Train" for the last part of the show. There is some nice arranging here and they are playing it well. It is a well constructed, traditional jazz corps performance I, personally, prefer it to last year’s, although I seem to be in a minority there with my buddies, who are jazz corps fans. Will they take the A-Train all the way to the top? Possibly, but as I said before the season, I foresee a real race to the finish in both Div II and Div III again this year.

Second in the DIV II northeast trio was Jersey Surf. I saw them before in Nashua, too. They have made some really big strides in drill and technique. Forms and lines are much better defined. This is one of the corps whose overall show was partly lost under the lights. Yet you could clearly see how much bigger they are than their competitors. There must be thirty-six in the guard. The opening flags in nature boy are actually several different shades that are grouped by color but so spread out they create a huge multi-toned swirl pattern. During the tango dance of the hornline and guard girls, it is a nice percussion feature. It is paced for good effect with dramatic touches of the tortured lover boy counter melody. Well done.. There is a touch of Sparkling Diamonds and the easy going ballad of Your Song. This flows very well. They finish with the fast and furious can-can flourish. There are issues in the hornline that do show improvement. The season is still young and they just need to keep working at it. This really is a well thought out, well designed, well received show and they are working very hard to improve delivery. Way to go, Surf. I look forward very much to your next performance.

The show closed with last year’s Div II Gold Medalists, the Spartans. You could see the audience just lean forward in anticipation. The three part backfield opening had an interesting effect in this lighting. It lost some overall impact. It highlighted, however, the tube effect happening under the lights to the rear of the pit. (There is a light pole here that creates a diffused spolight.) They wave the long, narrow black tubes (looks like vacuum cleaner hoses to me.) in fast spirals over their heads. Creates the air of many winged creatures of ill-intent circling overhead. The hornline is divided in three parts with a solo guard flag waving and dying in each area. It suggests long ago and far away there were battles fought and lost. They end center field with a nice guard flag solo and into this steps the soprano soloist (this kid has personality) into the spotlight with an small ensemble on his shoulder. The visuals going on behind were somewhat lost under these lights. I might have missed them completely had I not seen them before. No problem with impact when the full hornline has swung around and opens up. They are here. Percussion drums in the big guns. Wow meter on high. It sweeps in fine Spartan tradition for two movements. When they pause, finally, it is for the ballad. The mello soloist nailed it tonight. It was so good the audience actually clapped before the last note … I think it is a high B held out for a very long count at the end. And then they just sat there stunned. This solo has a cry in the wilderness quality that just grabs me. There have been good improvements in the drill design and delivery here. The guard has been moved forward and they are dancing a celebration to something beautiful that may have passed. The movement title is Glorious Human. The last two movements are rife with conflict and the drill is fast paced. They have definitely changed the ending. I would speculate that they are still working out the ending drill. They finish with a hand gesture. Yes, it is what some would call a “traditional Spartan show”, but this is not what they did the year before or the year before that. They will never do this again. Do not miss this show. This is a corps that knows who they are and their themes are self explorations into the human psyche. They are powerful and subtle and challenging all at the same time, and they are delivered with precision and style. There are no gimmicks on this field but there is an open door … a passage to their inner soul. Yes, I love the Spartans.

There was, again, no encore. Did someone pull the plug on encores this year? No matter ... just follow the tall drum major in black with the red cumberbund and the high plummed helmet and he will lead you right back to the Spartan hornline who will set aside everything ... plates of food, uniforms and equipment, leave family members standing ... grab their horns and form the arc. These kids just want to play ... and they will play Fire of Eternal Glory for themselves (and if you want to stand in and listen you are welcome) with reverence and passion and when they kick it up, they will knock you back with their fierce inner flame. And when the low brass plays the finale, I am not ashamed to say there is a tear in my eye. Thank you, Spartans.

The announcer was a good guy and he reminded us that there is another big Div II/III show in Bridgeport, CT, next Saturday night that is being put on by the Park City Pride. I plan to be there. Won’t you join me for a great night of drum corps?

And, please, afterwards, share your thoughts with us ...

(edited for many typos ... many typos left ... gahhhh)

Edited by oldguard

thanks for the great review

thanks for the great review

I second that! Very nice review, you always make me feel like I was there...

Thanks for the kind words.

I am glad you got to see your kids perform this year, Dadx2. From some of your previous chatter on the boards, I take it you have been stationed somewhere that you cannot share with us. May God bless and protect you and your family and may you all be together again soon.

Thanks for the kind words.

I am glad you got to see your kids perform this year, Dadx2. From some of your previous chatter on the boards, I take it you have been stationed somewhere that you cannot share with us. May God bless and protect you and your family and may you all be together again soon.

Thank you. I knew for a few weeks I may be back in time to catch their show, but didn't want to ruin the surprise. Pretty much a great gift for all of us. I wouldn't have traded places with anyone that evening.

Nice review! I saw both Jersey Surf and East Coast Jazz in Beverly and I was very impressed for that early on, but unfortunately have missed all the others due to the cancelations we have had this year! I couldnt make it this week or likely this coming weekend, so thanks for putting me in the seat!