Drum Majors And Their Rituals

DM.com?

Dare I even ask?

Drummajors.com

Would you believe that I am the elder statesman there?? I marched BD before most of the board there was even a leacherous gleam in their daddy's eye!

Edited by 84BDsop

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whether we like the DM salute or not, the salute is rather short in duration ( or should be ). Those who are in favor of abandoning the DM salute for more " artistic freedom " to do perhaps a wave, must be prepared that future DM's may take it upon themselves to do all sorts of things on that podium introducing their Corps that may be a lot more grating than the short salute we have now. I do happen to agree that seeing performers in spandex and lounge singers and fairy tale excursion shows should not be introduced by a traditional military salute to the audience by the DM. That begs the question as to what should be scrapped first, the lounge singers or the military salute of the DM. But that's for a topic for another thread for another day. My guess, those who are in favor of the abolishment of the salute by the Drum Major will find that come to fruition in the not to distant future. Likewise, we will not call them " Drum Majors " any more either. They will be called something like " Show Barkers " which will be more fitting if you think about it.

Great reply,,, actually in reality I believe the salute is important. As our "art" progresses we tend to forget that our activty is militariistic in it's origins. I feel that we need to keep much of those roots. You are right, there's a reason that they are called "Drum Major". Thier roles within the performing group go beyound the conducting.

I'm called on yearly to judge DM auditions and you usually can tell how that person will funtion by the salute.

To the point, the salute should be short, to the point, and within the style of the group he/she represents. I would agree that a wave from VK drum majors would be appropriate.

Seriously, I can't stand a salute with more that 4 moves....... and please no more batons..... in slow motion......

there's an old saying about more than two shakes....... I bet it could be tied in here.....

oh cumon the phantom baton is kewl.. simply casue its phantom.....

and i have often said the kiltie drummajor could pull one out from under his kilt... tho everyone seems to think that thats just wrong.

sigh

Our Drum Major still has has a slow motion salute. Here's what happened the one day she tried something new. See the press release below.

Snapette's Lazer Pointer Starts Field Fire

IceDen Hockey Dome, NW Canada --

The Snapette's entire pit section was seen hanging from the

drum majors podium that can erect a neck breaking 50 and a half vertical

meters high. The corps drum major Teri Stocky experimenting with a laser

pointer for a baton has refused to come down from her post for several

hours since the flames were put under control.

The corps spokesperson, Father McManick said, "not only did we warn

her from pointing a laser pen at the cymbal section but from badly

teasing our pregnant Royal Papal Lap Dog causing her to chase the red

light into a red rubber bell iContra."

The corps director, Sister McMeanitt C.C. said, "for the lame duck

of g...d. Our armpit calloused cymbal line helplessly tried to deflect

the lazor in all directions away from the dry field. Within seconds a

small grass fire rapidly grew out of control from end zone to end zone,

causing our frightened pit section to climb the drum majors podium for

fear of their lives."

The colorguard captain said, "no equipment or marching members were

hurt but just in case, Father McManick was practicing his slap shot with

a mobile bingo hall silent warm up paddle in case any stray sparks or

mosquitoes came near the butane tanks on the 40 and a half foot long BBQ

with smoker in the rear."

Wish You We're Here.

SNAPETTES!

http://www.geocities.com/snapettes/2001_Meters.html :lol:

oh cumon the phantom baton is kewl.. simply casue its phantom.....

and i have often said the kiltie drummajor could pull one out from under his kilt... tho everyone seems to think that thats just wrong.

sigh

Phantom ... yes... but do you know how many times a year that gets imitated... barf

Great reply,,, actually in reality I believe the salute is important. As our "art" progresses we tend to forget that our activty is militariistic in it's origins. I feel that we need to keep much of those roots. You are right, there's a reason that they are called "Drum Major". Thier roles within the performing group go beyound the conducting.

I'm called on yearly to judge DM auditions and you usually can tell how that person will funtion by the salute.

To the point, the salute should be short, to the point, and within the style of the group he/she represents. I would agree that a wave from VK drum majors would be appropriate.

And I happen to like the useage of the baton by the Phantom Regiment DM when he or she conducts the Corps. It fits. A happy" wave " to the crowd by a Phantom Regiment DM introducing his Corps to an audience and then accompanied by a serious classical musical refrain like " Defiant Heart " from Shostakovich or something from Tchaikovsky, etc would just look silly and out of place to me. Yet a baton to conduct " Brazil " by the VK DM likewise would seem out of place...... but a " wave " to the crowd by the VK DM instead of a military style traditional salute to start their comedic oriented show theme seems appropriate..... but then again, a happy " wave " by the Troopers DM instead of a salute to introduce themselves to the audience should warrant a firing squad execution of that DM in my opinion.... ( hey, only kidding )

Edited by X DM

Phantom ... yes... but do you know how many times a year that gets imitated... barf

Been there....did that in 03 at the Glendora, CA show....crowd laughed....so did Regiment's DMs when I told them about it as we lined up for retreat.

Is there still a need for drum majors to salute? Isn't waving going to connect a little bit more?

Why do they have to remove their head gear? I would wanna wear a helmet if I was up on a podium that high.

More saluting while reviewing the stands. Even more saluting while receiving scores. There should be a cap on this.

I can't remember the last time I watched a drum major mark time. Come ON!

There should probably be more drum majors allowed... 5 or 10 would do the trick. Does anyone really want to a hear a Doctor Beat? Especially in a live show early in the season

Standardizing podiums would level the playing field. Bb Podiums anyone?

Mom

How many times were you dropped on your head to be able to make a post like that?

How many times were you dropped on your head to be able to make a post like that?

I can't remember; however, I do recall a pretty bumpy ride one day on TOUR. Read the press release below.

Elko Indian Reservation and Rehab Lodge, Nevada -- The Snapettes plan to enter

an official record books for a land speed record of Mach II, for the 40 and a

half foot long BBQ with smoker in the rear. The full hornline led by two very

nervous drum majors individually riding inside each of the recentry acquired

Sinclair Fuel Green Dinosaur Mascots. powered by donated duel butane tanks that

arrived this morning from the Osmond Family Weight Loss Clinic and several newly

found cheering fans along the HWY. 80. The dozen shoulder mounted 36 inch contra

harmonicas, duck taped to the sides of the BBQ created a thundering and powerful

blues like chord that made goose bumps as it cresendoed higher as it passed by

and decrescendod with lower moaning like sound of a jet fighter crossing the sky

off into the distance. Unfortunatly the white plastic flags mounted across the

top of the BBQ were completely shredded after it had reached full speed..

The corps spokesperson, Father McManick said, "wow...I'm glad I decided to

ride in with the Mobile Bingo Hall as he fanned himself with a silent warm-up

paddle. BEEEEP! This just in. We have made radio contact with the landing party

at BurningMan. Teri Stocky our drum major said that that that that they they

they they had more than enough fuel fuel fuel fuel to circle the Black Rock Rock

Rock Desert a couple of times before coming to a to a to a a to aot

allllltttooo dusty halt. The mascots almost got caught up in a signature S pull

near the last turn, but came to a perfectly spaced company front for the final

few yards. The mascots and BBQ are a little scorched, muddied and blackend as

they streaked threw a volcanic mud pit on the final lap."

The corps director, Sister McMeanitt said, "the natives back here at the

reservation are having a fine time Talking Shop, at the Mobile Bingo Hall, THAT

btw, has one of the fastest ball blowers around. The rest of the corps will be

arriving tomorrow, setting up full camp and getting ready for a parade tomorrow

evening BEEEEP! This just in. The Sinclair Fuel Green Dinosaur mascots have

been herded together and are now in a perfect parade box formation, facing the

strong desert winds.

The color guard captain said with a wry grin, "I think THAT was a fast

ride, pardon THAT pun." Then she fell face down from the steps of the 40 and a

half foot long BBQ with smoker in the rear, for the lame duck of g...d. Wish You

We're Here.

SNAPETTES!

http://www.geocities.com/snapettes/2001_Lame.html B)

What year was it where the Impulse DM did the pull, then snapped the baton over his knee and threw it away? '04?