Cadets guard/character uniforms...

Valid critique, bashing or martyrdom?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Cadets guard being singled out for criticism?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • No opinion / don't really care.

...recent posts (reference: here) seem to indicate that the Cadets guard uniforms are being singled out due to the nature of the show, especially here on DCP.

Keeping in mind that other corps (most notably Cavaliers 2003) have also received some criticism for their guard attire here (and elsewhere), would you say this is a valid point... is it a case of hopping on the bash bandwagon?

Edited by bawker

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No. See also: Madison Scouts.

As an aside, when people post cocky topics such as "How will you react when Cadets win Worlds?" - it just invites the "unfair" criticism that burdens ye faithful of the Cadets.

Its been posted previously in this forum and others how much I give to corps the beginning of the season. I choose ten corps at random and give an amount to each of my choice.

If your that interested, Im sure you could find it.

~G~

See, its not all my fault ! The threads are created, and Ijust "have" to reply :

The uniforms are not up to the standards that are reflected in the marching and playing of a defending world champion. If you are going to do it, do it right. Its not amateur night at the VFW. Using costumes and props, better then have a budget for it or someone with talent to get them up to par like the rest of the standards of the corps.

You already know, you are controversial, you already know these costumes are going to be talked about. Seriously, does anyone really think some of this criticism isnt warranted and wasnt expected by those that are in charge over in YEA ??

Its an activity that is being judged, opinions are going to sprout like mushrooms. Had the response been overwhelmingly favorable, threads like this wouldnt even exist.

Had the costumes fit better with the show, been more creative, or more classy, or manufactured better,a gain, this thread wouldnt even exist.

~G~

I would say that the answer would have to be yes, if for nothing else than the fact that this is one of the elites of the activity. bawker, you pointed it out very well when you mentioned that Seattle Cascades' use of narration is hardly ever mentioned on these boards. When you're an elite corps, you're going to get more than your share of criticism, regardless of what programmin decisions you make.

I would also argue that the costuming this year has gotten unfair criticism due to the unorthodox nature of the show. Honestly, I think that if these uniforms were to appear in a show that is otherwise straightforward, say Bluecoats or Phantom this year, we wouldn't have nearly the level of discussion that we do. I mean hey, Phantom has guys wearing freakin' codpieces, and that's hardly been a source of controversy. :P

As in all aspects of life, if you choose to push the edge of the envelope and be controversial, then you need to be ready to accept the...controversy. Duh! Cadets chose to do an unorthodox show so they cannot possibly be surprised at the controversy that it has generated. If they didn't want controversy, they would have done something safe.

I'm surprised no one mentioned that atrocity of the 2005 cavaliers.

No offense but they looked like women on the field.

First off, Bawker, that reference comment wasn't what I was expecting, and is pretty worthless. If the Cadets were doing a classical, deep, dark, evil Faust show, then I'd say they wouldn't attract any more flak than PR has. They'd attract flak for shifting gears without a clutch.

Second, could you clarify the intent of the topic? Is this regarding the Cadets guard unis as a whole, or more the three (four?) character outfits?

Edited by Gentleman Marcher

First off, Bawker, that reference comment wasn't what I was expecting, and is pretty worthless. If the Cadets were doing a classical, deep, dark, evil Faust show, then I'd say they wouldn't attract any more flak than PR has. They'd attract flak for shifting gears without a clutch.

Second, could you clarify the intent of the topic? Is this regarding the Cadets guard unis as a whole, or more the three (four?) character outfits?

It's entirely up to you, although previous weeks posts have also lamented the costuming choices for some of the characters in the show.

This thread is basically an exercise in proving a point that bias is where you choose to look for it, though. :)