The future of DCI

For the last several years shows have been getting more theatrical. I believe this really started with corps naming their shows. back in the day they played some songs that may have flowed together. There were themed shows in the past but they were few and far between. Phantom with Spratacus in recent times "I believe" reincarnated the trend.

In the last 2-3 years corps have taken things to new levels. Amps will only hasten the trend further. Last year Cavaliers had ladders all over the field, but everyone complained about Cadets. More "costumy" uniforms ala Cadets,Southwind and Cavaliers CG. Crown sang more then anyone else now most D1 corps have some type of vocalization.

What do I see happening in the next 5-7 years.

Total on field members 140, with 110-120 playing, 6-8 "prop masters" 2 soundboard people and larger pits and a chorus.

Scoring that includes judged singing with deductions for mechinical malfunctions and prop failures

More instructors for voice and stagehands.

Higher cost due to the larger membership which means less corps overall

A switch in instrumentation.

Only 2 classes of corps based on skill level and not size. Corps will either be full size or small 30-60 members.

More corps in DCA then DCI due to the weekend schedule and lower cost.

More Indoor corps competing alongside bands.

It may not become true but it's my gut feeling.

I have no problem with themed shows. It makes more sense to have a concept to what we're hearing that ties it all together than the old 80s shows that were like "okay, here we are, we are going to play four songs for you." I have no gripe with that part.

I agree about the theatrical tendencies, though. Seems like some corps are trying to make drum corps something it's not.

And yeah, nobody was complaining about those stupid ladders! I hated that.

Edited by Studio Tan

Many people DID complain about the ladders actually. Personally, I thought the ladders were a nice design choice for the Cavaliers and that show. It fit into their theme (the Chicago fire), they utilized them well to present different height "dimensions" visually, and then as a very effective staging tool later in the show. Wonderful!

Edited by rut-roh

Drill would be performed in small hoverpads and not marched... allowing performers to flip around and rotate while playing long runs on their horns, also giving access to the 1/25 step size and 2 counts drill sets. not to mention flags would holograms

For the last several years shows have been getting more theatrical. I believe this really started with corps naming their shows. back in the day they played some songs that may have flowed together. There were themed shows in the past but they were few and far between. Phantom with Spratacus in recent times "I believe" reincarnated the trend.

In the last 2-3 years corps have taken things to new levels. Amps will only hasten the trend further. Last year Cavaliers had ladders all over the field, but everyone complained about Cadets. More "costumy" uniforms ala Cadets,Southwind and Cavaliers CG. Crown sang more then anyone else now most D1 corps have some type of vocalization.

Most D1 corps have some type of vocalization? Really?

Because I can only think of 5.

Also, everyone didn't complain about the Cadets, lots of people liked our show :)

What do I see happening in the next 5-7 years.

Total on field members 140, with 110-120 playing, 6-8 "prop masters" 2 soundboard people and larger pits and a chorus.

Scoring that includes judged singing with deductions for mechinical malfunctions and prop failures

Only 2 classes of corps based on skill level and not size. Corps will either be full size or small 30-60 members.

It may not become true but it's my gut feeling.

Stop, take a slow breath, and repeat after me

"The sky is not falling. The sky is not falling. The sky is not falling."

Most of those are really pretty silly. Also, singing is already scored in Ensemble Music and Music GE. They will not add a singing caption.

I thought the ladders were stupid and didn't add enough to the general effect of the show to justify schlepping around all those props.

When I first saw their show, I had that fear as well. They used them in the ballad well, and then I was afraid they would just sit there and not serve any other purpose. Then they went on to utilize them extremely well later in the show, first to stage the percussion and guard during some features, and then when they fed the entire hornline inside the "form" set up by the ladders towards the end of the show. I thought it was brilliantly designed the way they did that.

I don't think we can call 1982 "recent."

Chorus? Crown had a quartet two years ago; this year, one corps has a solo singer. It doesn't seem to me we're moving towards choirs.

All this prop and stagehand business -- seriously, were you watching drum corps in the '80s? '87 Star and SCV? '87 Sky Ryders practically built the set of "West Side Story" on the field. '88 VK had Pee-Wee Herman on a bicycle in their show. What about all the Phantom masks all over the field in '89 SCV? Those weird step-things in '85 Freelancers? Props are nothing new. If history is any guide, this, just like nearly everything else, is cyclical. Right now some corps are using a lot of props, but a lot of others aren't.

If your prediction about 140 members came true, there might be fewer corps not because of rising expenses but because of a shallower pool of members. The old 128 max came from the number of members that could comfortably fit on three buses; I don't think it'd be a stretch for a corps to find room for five more members on their buses. The big expense would come in if they had to get another bus, but no one's going to do that for a measly five members. Of course, this is assuming that your prediction comes true, which is a big assumption.

Do you mean adding woodwinds? Because we've already had more than one "switch."

Because...? At any rate, I don't really see a problem with divisions based on the previous year's scores, if done intelligently. Doesn't WGI do something like this?

...or more regional junior corps. I have a hard time seeing all but one or two of the current Div I corps not doing a national tour of some kind regardless of what the future holds.

What's an "indoor corps"? "Alongside" bands? Do you mean drum corps competing against high school bands in high school band circuits? I don't even see how that's possible. Scheduling?

I think this is all a little alarmist.

BTW, ladders and other props which have broken the "fifth wall" -- i.e., the space above the performers' heads -- have been in use before Cavies last year. Glassmen used ladders in the '90s, I believe. Heck, they flew a kite in '92. What about '95 Cavies and their ladder-like poles for "The Planets"? '97 Scouts? I'm just sayin'. Cavies' ladders last year were nothing especially new. Not that there's anything wrong with that.