Prelims...why not scheduled

OK, we all know summer is really hot. We also know that July and August are a bear for competitions in the middle of the day. SO, why doesn't drum corps schedule prelim competitions in the morning, say from 8-noon and give everyone, judges, corps etc a break in the hot afternoon.

Now, before anyone says its too early for corps performances, it isn't. Back in the 70s prelims started early in the morning to accomodate all the corps that had to perform. With less corps to perform, I would think it would be smart to just do it in the morning and protect them from having to perform in the hottest part of the day.

Just a thought.....

OK, we all know summer is really hot. We also know that July and August are a bear for competitions in the middle of the day. SO, why doesn't drum corps schedule prelim competitions in the morning, say from 8-noon and give everyone, judges, corps etc a break in the hot afternoon.

Now, before anyone says its too early for corps performances, it isn't. Back in the 70s prelims started early in the morning to accomodate all the corps that had to perform. With less corps to perform, I would think it would be smart to just do it in the morning and protect them from having to perform in the hottest part of the day.

Just a thought.....

1. Housing sites are getting further away from contest sites, it seems. Corps with a 8am gate time would have to get up about 4am to be at the show site 2 hours early.

2. The corps with an early morning start wouldn't have any rehearsal time that day before the show - just warm up time at the show site.

3. As corps arrive at the show site, you might find that 7am is a might bit early for making noise in many locations.

4. Corps are practicing through the hot afternoons in 100+ degree heat. Other than having to wear their uniforms, they are pretty much used to the heat.

5. Many of these regionals are inside now - Indy, San Antonio and Atlanta. Still an issue when they are outside getting ready but the show conditions are much cooler.

Just some reason why it might not work or be necessary.

because the show is indoors

Maybe he means quarter finals. Say corps 22, or whatever it is to 13 in the morning, then top twelve at night?

Andy

Actually, I should clarify...I'm not thinking that clearly today...

What I meant was, say today in HOTLanta...Do prelims from, say, 9-1 PM, then the fans, judges and corps wouldn't have to do prelims in the hottest part of the day. Its one thing to practice, its quite another to do a complete performance.

Just a thought...I see some very good reasons why this might not work, which was why I asked the question...thanks!

Actually, a the div 2/3 focus shows used to do just that. We had so many corps performing that the first ones were normally stepping off about the time that we were getting up.

However, I don't think this is that necessary for div 1 since there aren't as many corps. Also, it couldn't help performance at all - in fact, it could turn into a huge handicap. We're not all morning people.