Any Corps use Jupiter Instruments?

mdsnsctfan

Does anyone know if any corps out there are currently or have used Jupiter Brass Instruments.

I can't imagine that anyone would actually choose to play on a such a crappy horn, but if they got them as a sponsership I might be able to understand.

Back in college, in brass ens. practice, I saw some kid's Jupiter euph literally blew apart in his hands while he was playing it! We all busted a nut laughing :P - those horns are cheaper than DEG bugles - which I hear are made in Brazil from recycled beer cans... just a rumor though :worthy:

(By the by, I own and play a DEG bari bugle, so they're not really that bad... :) )

-TGB

w/Stp: :lolhit: lmao, that's great w/Stp:

Edited by Vanguard07

Back in college, in brass ens. practice, I saw some kid's Jupiter euph literally blew apart in his hands while he was playing it! We all busted a nut laughing :P - those horns are cheaper than DEG bugles - which I hear are made in Brazil from recycled beer cans... just a rumor though :worthy:

(By the by, I own and play a DEG bari bugle, so they're not really that bad... :) )

-TGB

I have a Jupiter pee-shooter type tenor trombone, only used for pep band and marching band stuff, and it's held up very well. It plays way better than my slightly older Yamaha trombone of the same caliber...

Nowhere near the quality of my Conn 88H though.

I've heard Jupiter is starting to make better quality instruments. I have a few craptacular Jupiter low brass instruments in my band, but I didn't buy them. They are adequate.... but you know.

Probably the same corps that would use Bundy instruments :)

Probably the same corps that would use Bundy instruments :)

I used a Bundy trombone for most of high school and college, and even auditioned for and made the Army Band on a Bundy trombone. Granted that it didn't sound as sweet as my old boosey and hawkes that it replaced. But it had much better slide action since the inner slide wasn't 50% brass and nickle from wear. I still have that bundy trombone and sometimes prefer playing on it over my fairly mint Yamaha pro model. When I was given a surprise audition in the field while in the Army Band, I put away the Bach 42 army issue and pulled out that Bundy trombone and passed without any problem.

We had a valve trombonist forget his instrument for a jazz band recording session in college. He managed to rent a Jupiter valved trombone for the session from a local music shop, since there wasn't time to drive back home and back. It was a fairly nice horn even back then when Jupiter wasn't as large as they are now. I think he even considered buying that horn. It wouldn't be my first choice for a new horn purchase, but it'd probably be worth a try if at a brass show where you got to play the horns before you bought one.

But then again, trombones are an odd animal, you're not always critical about their intonation tendancies on partials as you have an easy means to adjust. You can make due with most trombones as long as their slide action is smooth.

Of course the bundy sounded much better after I stripped most of the thick lacquer off the bell. It was pretty hard stuff to get off too. The bundy even survived a semester of college marching band. Even though one day I chucked it a good ten yards after it's slide got damaged by another trombonist who couldn't do a four count turn as instructed. It was a really bad day, as we did five field show performances that day and our slides collided on four of them. Marching trombones in a field show is just a bad move IMO.