words of wisdom for an age out?

I'm sponsoring a Crossmen age out cross- with the cross, I can give the age-out a little personalized note.

Right now I'm trying to figure out what I want to say and can't find the right words. I don't know who the age out is, or if they are a rook-out, or a long time member.

I have to drop off the note in Allentown, so I only have a few days to come up with something!

So here's my question-

What would YOU put in your note to an age out from your corps?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sponsored an age out from Spirit in 2001. The corps didn't make finals, much like your situation now as Crossmen likely won't be in finals. We were proud of the corps for carrying the torch and surviving insurmountable odds in 2000. That progress carried over into 2001. I would want all members of that corps to know how proud we as alumni were to have them wear our colors, our uniform, and to have them carry our name. I wouldn't focus at all on placement, nor would I even mention it, because that is not important...just share your feelings from your heart. Crossmen have a lot to be proud of and they have hosts of fans.

Edited by ssorrell

So here's my question-

What would YOU put in your note to an age out from your corps?

Well, funny you should mention that. This past Friday's Fanfare column on DCI.org dealt with that very subject.

Mike

Aging Out

Anyone got a story for a future Fanfare column? It could be about anything corps related. If so, please send to boomike@dci.org. Thank you.

Be prepared to cry. Save your money for expensive therapy when the next summer comes around and your whole body ACHES to be on the field.

Have even more therapy every time you smell a combination of cut grass and diesel fumes.

Sponsor a kid! It helps a WHOLE HELLUVA LOT!

Those weird dreams you have for the rest of your life about how you're back in corps but on the field naked/don't know the drill/are overage anyway/or somehow know the drill, are normal.

Edited by apoch003

The end of this journey is just the start of a new one. As you pass from member to alumni of the Crossmen you carry with you the spirit of all bones present future and past. I only hope you got as much from your experince as I did watching the corps perfrom this production of " Changing Lanes ." How appropriate that Changing Lanes is your age out show ,as that is what you do now as you move forward in your life .Knowing Bones is always dialed into the radio of your heart and soul.Best wishes and enjoy the rest of the ride

Maybe something along those lines.

The end of this journey is just the start of a new one. As you pass from member to alumni of the Crossmen you carry with you the spirit of all bones present future and past. I only hope you got as much from your experince as I did watching the corps perfrom this production of " Changing Lanes ." How appropriate that Changing Lanes is your age out show ,as that is what you do now as you move forward in your life .Knowing Bones is always dialed into the radio of your heart and soul.Best wishes and enjoy the rest of the ride

Maybe something along those lines.

Jeff, that is great! But I think you should sponsor an age out and write that as your own note! :)

Save your money for expensive therapy when the next summer comes around and your whole body ACHES to be on the field.

Tell them to keep marching...

Sponsor a kid! It helps a WHOLE HELLUVA LOT!

...Or to help someone else keep marching.

Being an active participant in this activity doesn't stop with aging out, it just changes lanes....

A little off-topic - One of the food truck moms sponsored my ageout cross, so I was lucky enough to get a hug and some tears with mine. :-D

Back on-topic - This is what I would write if I didn't know who I was sponsoring -

"Bones."

Honestly, that one word would probably say it all.