words of wisdom for an age out?

A little off-topic - One of the food truck moms sponsored my ageout cross, so I was lucky enough to get a hug and some tears with mine. :-D

Back on-topic - This is what I would write if I didn't know who I was sponsoring -

"Bones."

Honestly, that one word would probably say it all.

Well that's the thing- I did cook at the winter camps this year, so I might very well know the ageout. I just don't know specifically which kid I have. Hoping to find out tonight at the show and at least can customize the note before Saturday.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aging out is the strangest feeling in the world. You have to leave people and an activity that probably meant the most to you. It was all an intregal part of your life - then suddenly....WHACK! It's almost the opposite of graduating from High School or College, when most of us were happy just to grab our diplomas and get the heck out of there. There's a big difference between classmates and corpsmates. I don't remember too many kids that I went to school with, but I see people that I marched with in my sleep. I have no regrets about that. In fact, I'm very thankful for it. :)

Those weird dreams you have for the rest of your life about how you're back in corps but on the field naked/don't know the drill/are overage anyway/or somehow know the drill, are normal.

Woah. You're freaking me out. You have those too?

That's common?

It's been 13 years since I aged out and I still have those dreams occasionally.

For many parents, the ageout ceremony is like the alpha and omega - a beginning and an end. To me, it seemed more like my son finally came of age, it was a visual feast but left me feeling empty because it wasn't enough for me. It's a private thing for each and every corps member. I know one of my son's really good friends was in the Blue Devils and to see the two of them on the field hugging each other - today still brings tears to my eyes.

The best words to use - ".....to the journey"

Those weird dreams you have for the rest of your life about how you're back in corps but on the field naked/don't know the drill/are overage anyway/or somehow know the drill, are normal.

Ok, I really thought I was the only one who has those. All of a sudden I feel a little less strange.

I'm sponsoring a Crossmen age out cross- with the cross, I can give the age-out a little personalized note.

Right now I'm trying to figure out what I want to say and can't find the right words. I don't know who the age out is, or if they are a rook-out, or a long time member.

I have to drop off the note in Allentown, so I only have a few days to come up with something!

So here's my question-

What would YOU put in your note to an age out from your corps?

Dear Age-out,

Take it all in. Every breath. Every sound. Every sight. Every Smell.

You may not realize it now, but what you are doing, RIGHT NOW, is going to be something that, no matter how hard you try, you will not be able to forget. It will shape you into who you will or will not be. It will be out of your head for YEARS and then, in a flash you will hear a sound, or smell a smell (like diesel fuel, DCT, and weak purple gator-water for me) and it will be back. What you are doing right now will fill your heart with passion, then turn around and fill it so full of maudlin that you might not find the words. What you are doing right now is helping make someone else's memories fond. You are inspiring other kids, to get out their horn, their pad, or their flag and practice their Remington's, 8's, or drop spins.

If you're reading this right now, take a mental snapshot of the past 3 months and store it away. You'll remember the Performances, but remember the filler - laundry day, free day, bus clean out day, because those will be the really funny poignant moments that you will call upon. Because one day you will have Husbands, Wives, and Children that will act bothered to hear your stories of leaving your shoes on the field of your last performance, but will smile when they see how your eyes light up talking about it.

If you are reading this right now, know that, in spite of the gloom and doom of many nay sayers, I am well pleased to have you representing this class of 2006 age-outs.

:)

Be thankful for what you had. Most people will never know the feeling of performing at this level.

A door closes and another opens. There is another drum corps land where there is no aging out, and many of those corps are wonderful, filled with people just like you. In a very real sense, there is no "finish line".

Regardless, you will do well in whatever you chose in life. You are very well prepared.

F. Dorritie

(former Crossmen arranger/instructor)

It's just drum corps.

Seriously, when all is said and done, it's just drum corps. I know it's fun and all(not even that really), but honestly, it's not that big of a deal. There are gonna be a lot of age outs, many of them won't make it past quarters or semis. And only a handful will be Champions. I never made Finals in three years with three different div I corps. I know I was ###### at the time, but really, now that I'm headed off to boot camp and then Iraq, how I did in drum corps just doesn't seem that big of a deal.

So to all the age outs, no matter how you do this season, it's just drum corps. You'll live and move on.

Edited by Morgoth Bauglir

It's just drum corps.

Seriously, when all is said and done, it's just drum corps. I know it's fun and all(not even that really), but honestly, it's not that big of a deal. There are gonna be a lot of age outs, many of them won't make it past quarters or semis. And only a handful will be Champions. I never made Finals in three years with three different div I corps. I know I was ###### at the time, but really, now that I'm headed off to boot camp and then Iraq, how I did in drum corps just doesn't seem that big of a deal.

So to all the age outs, no matter how you do this season, it's just drum corps. You'll live and move on.

This can't be true, because if it were you wouldn't have written that. :)

It's just drum corps.

Anyone that took so little for the drum corps experience must have missed some lessons along the way. Maybe 3 different corps in 3 years made it "just drum corps".

Oh, you never made finals, so sad. Maybe chasing was the reason you never did.

Many people seem to miss the lessons along the way, but it's good, you seem to still be searching for some lessons in your life, maybe boot camp and shipping out will mean something. :blink:

Living breathing things seem so unimportant to you, I believe you belong right where you are going.