Pacific Crest at Warrenton

I'm a little surprised that PC's score didn't really move at all from their last show over two weeks ago. But, I wasn't there, so I can't really comment.

Was anyone there who also saw PC earlier? Have they not improved over the last 2+ weeks? Do you think the score was justified vs their earlier season efforts? Have they made changes to the show over that time ?

Just curious ....

I can't speak to their earlier scores or performance, but I can tell you from being at the show last night that their score was about right (perhaps even a touch high). They have a good show, and they did a nice job performing in the stiffling heat and humidity (it was 96 degrees at show time). They just have a lot of cleaning to do relative to the competition.

They just have a lot of cleaning to do relative to the competition.

Does anyone know if PC was practicing the whole time these past 2+weeks, or were they literally "off"? I seem to recall from a couple of years ago a discussion that a lot (some?) of the members have jobs in the summer (accommodating the regional tour, of course), so I'm just curious what their schedule was like since thier last show.

No agenda here or anything, I just am interested in PC's approach.

They had a rough night. The score was at the lower end of what I would have given them, but I think it was relatively fair. The brass in particular had a rough time of it during the show, and I think the corps in general was tired out from a long travel day on Monday and rehearsing in the Southern heat on Tuesday. I don't think they had their horns since last Thursday, so that also may not have helped the situation.

Their rehearsal/performance schedule is here: http://www.pacific-crest.org/downloads/06P..._asofJune26.pdf

I believe that their number will jump as they get into the groove with tour. I think they are better than last night's performance, and I doubt they will be 5 points behind Mandarins and Southwind when all is said and done.

Chris

Thanks for the info and link :)

I forgot about the fact that they would have had a long travel day before that first show back.

Best of luck to PC the rest of the way -- I've really liked their style the past few years and I look forward to seeing them next Thursday (and Friday ??? :) )

Well, since the California State Open on July 15th, they had rehearsals/camps on the following days (according to their calendar at the website):

July 16th & 17th

July 20th-24th

July 27th & 28th

Well thats likely why they are dirty - not much time on the rehearsal field. I'm guessing it will take some time for them to get in tour mode and get adjusted to the heat, humidity, lack of sleep, long bus rides etc.

Not taking a full tour has its advantages, but it also has its drawbacks...

Well thats likely why they are dirty - not much time on the rehearsal field. I'm guessing it will take some time for them to get in tour mode and get adjusted to the heat, humidity, lack of sleep, long bus rides etc.

Not taking a full tour has its advantages, but it also has its drawbacks...

No need to turn this into yet another referendum on the merits of the full tour. In the past the corps has lost to some corps who do the full tour, and they have beaten some corps who do the full tour. They seemed a little tired (though they certainly gave it everything they had) and it was definitely hot. I was just standing there and I needed a whole bottle of gatorade to rehydrate. I would guess this happens to most every corps at some point during the season, and in this case it happened to PC at a relatively inopportune moment.

Chris

PC, 99-03

I'm a little surprised that PC's score didn't really move at all from their last show over two weeks ago. But, I wasn't there, so I can't really comment.

Their score did move - it went down. They are behind the likes of Mandarins, Magic, Southwind, Esperanza ... well, everyone except for Pioneer (at this writing).

Regarding their long travel day, the flew cross country on Monday while every other corps has been riding the bus.

If they can clean and get acclimated, they can move up, but they only have a week to perfect what they're working on while on the road. So it's not like they have a month to fix their problems like all the other corps that have been practicing 12-14 hours a day, day in and day out (but I digress).

you really think they don't have what it takes to "make up" for what you consider an apparent lack of rehearsal time? this is a drum corps that works its butt off every single second of rehearsal...a corps i might add that came out to finals for the first time and sent 6 corps home. yes, they have a week before finals, but these are smart people who know what they are doing. just because they have a couple days off during the tour doesn't mean that every single one of these kids is working any less hard than "full touring" groups. not only are these guys putting together year after year of spectacular shows, their members are doing it on top of jobs, school, sometimes both. and if you ask any of the members, do you really think they feel they are missing out??? i guarantee you the answer is no. people know what they are getting into when they decide to join Pacific Crest, if they didn't want to do it, they would go somewhere else.

everyone should please stop bashing this wonderful group just because you don't necessarily agree with their methods.

Edited by tubawarrior