Bluecoats Stretch Run

Now that they stayed consistent with last year they are saying the same thing about next year. Can people please just give Bluecoats credit where credit is deserved!

The question of the thread is what they need to do in order to move up in to the top tier (1-3). It wasn't about "saying nice things about the Bluecoats". There are threads for that already.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it funny that people said that same thing last year when Bluecoats placed 5th. They wondered if they would be able to stay there or if they would fall in rankings this year . Now that they stayed consistent with last year they are saying the same thing about next year. Can people please just give Bluecoats credit where credit is deserved!

No one is disparaging the 'Coats...there are plenty of homer threads on here to attest to that.

However, recent history has shown that the very tip-top of the pile (above 4th place) is exceedingly diffiult to gain entrance to. 27th Lancers, Cavaliers, Cadets and Star of Indiana...and that's it in relatively recent years.

There have been quite a few corps that have made it up to the Top 5, as referenced earlier in the thread, who have since fallen back down in the standings a bit. I'm pretty sure all of us here want to see some new blood at the top. :)

edited for corrections sake. :)

Edited by bawker

The question of the thread is what they need to do in order to move up in to the top tier (1-3). It wasn't about "saying nice things about the Bluecoats". There are threads for that already.

Exactly, I don't think cleaning will be enough to help them move. I'm thinking something unexpected like SCV's bottledance!

So therefore I don't see them moving up poistion wise.

"Next year is the true test. Do we see Bluecoats stay in the Top 4 and come out with a concept that is ready to compete with the big boys? Or, like the Glassmen, Blue Knights and Boston Crusaders, do we see them falter and fall back to the 5th-10th spots?"

I find it funny that people said that same thing last year when Bluecoats placed 5th. They wondered if they would be able to stay there or if they would fall in rankings this year . Now that they stayed consistent with last year they are saying the same thing about next year. Can people please just give Bluecoats credit where credit is deserved!

Whoa there, Turbo. :)

I'm still looking for the 6 way tie for 17th to lead into Semis, and a 12 way tie for 12th. :worthy:

Bloo has done a helluva job in climbing the ranks the last 5 years, but, we have seen others do the same thing before, and then proceed to fall back to the 5-10 spots. (But it would be freakin awesome to see a new corps added to this mix in the medal race.)

The Bluecoats shouldn't be looking ahead but rather be checking their rear view mirror....other corps are closer than they appear.

Bluecoats just need to keep cleaning and doing their thing - where ever they place, it will be a great season for them.

Why do so many people get riled up when they see this saying?! It's more of a joke among the Bluecoats bretheran than anything else. Makes me chuckle to see the DCP hoi polloi take it so literally.....lighten up Francis and let the 'Coats have some fun with it. Besides, did anyone say that the 'Coats WEREN'T concerned with the Cadets? Or SCV? The 'Coats have never been barking up 3rd and 4th place, so let it ride......

DW

I would love to see someone new take the whole thing home. Not really this year, because I have an age-out buddy that plays mello in Cavies.

For a while this season though, I was thinking bloooo could take it. Right now, I believe they're a lock for 4th. Cadets are not staging a great late season surge, and I believe Cavies/BD/PR are too close for comfort in the first 3 spots. Really anyone can take it, but I'm thinking 1-3 is pretty much a lock. I think that BlueCoats design is a great one...way better than last year even. But even though the scores are close, I think seeing them get into the top 3 this year is a long shot. Possible? Yes. Not likely though.

With just about a week left to go in the season what do you think bluuuuuuuue has to do to push and possibly jump a spot or two or three.....

My Thoughts:

1. Clean Clean Clean (From watching the season pass video, there are alot of sets that spacing is just a hair off fix those and they will then be in the visual class of the cavs - meaning the viewing visual of the cavs....the clean spacing, good feet etc...)

2. GE this is the biggest weakness at the moment, I think if they clean the sets and spacing that will move the scores somewhat, but maybe they can ad more "GE" to the show with little things....(I think by finals they need to find a way to get the beginning "hand to hand connection" to go from the field into the stands kinda of a connective wave.......:)

The Coat's show is truly non-stop....think the only thing drillwise that bothers me is the "pod" and "groups" segments, yes I know its free form but when BD, Cavs do the same type of drill they maintain a "visual" clean appearence, where as right now the 'coats look "blurry" think its from non-uniform space in the pods and the white of the uni-pants blending maybe they need to expand the pod spaces so that the grass defines the pods more.....

Think the Bluecoats have a tremendous opportunity come next week, I hope they find the right "magic" to do it.

###

Great thread...

My thougths...

1. 2nd "cute" movement needs some tougher licks. Just a crazy trumpet run or two, something that makes your jaw drop.

2. Ballad needs more color guard work. Seems stagnant (even w/modifications)

3. Ending. Seems middle-of-the road. Nutty drill movemement in final moments should either stretch the field or collapse into a tiny ball. If possible, add a "fake" ending.

IT'S SOOOO CLOSE!!!!

To all wondering about whether the Bluecoats have the staying power to remain a contender long term, put into perspective their recent trend; it's really been like no other corps in the activity. The comparisons to Glassmen, Boston and Blue Knights rise to the top 5-6 isn't really valid if you look at the corps progression. In each of those cases the corps had a 1-2 (maybe 3) year metioric jump in placement (likely due to staff turnover and some quality programming). The Bluecoats have maintained a core group of people on the staff and have seen a jump from 13-12-8-7-7-6-5, a steady trend upward that appears to be continuing this season.

Someone mentioned that the 'Coats also have taken the steps necessary to compete with the big boys (establishing a bingo game so financing top designers and instructors is possible). Nothing appears to be changing so it's kind of unfounded to assume anything other than quality performance and the highest level of competitiveness will continue.

But, DCP is full of opinions so I guess you're entitled.....

DW

###

Great thread...

My thougths...

1. 2nd "cute" movement needs some tougher licks. Just a crazy trumpet run or two, something that makes your jaw drop.

2. Ballad needs more color guard work. Seems stagnant (even w/modifications)

3. Ending. Seems middle-of-the road. Nutty drill movemement in final moments should either stretch the field or collapse into a tiny ball. If possible, add a "fake" ending.

IT'S SOOOO CLOSE!!!!

Have you seen the new tag ending that they put in for the Cookeville show? They kind of do what you are describing.

DW