Cool Retreat Moments

My personal favorites are from the Americanos in 01 and 02 from the DCM tour.

At one school there was actually a tree which had been allowed to grow out on to the track. Well, the 'canos weren't the strictest about retreat attention, and I had an idea seeing as how this limb ended up exactly between myself and the person in front of me. I slowly pulled the branch back, and let her rip...the kilties guys thought it was hillarious.

I cannot express the joy of linning up next to Cap Reg (who hold their horns in their left hands). clang, clang, clang, clang

In 2000 I remember the Americanos and their jokes. I'm trying to be hardcore and then I hear that stuff. :blink:

Yes, much fun with Cap Reg. :huh:

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember marching out next to Cavies in 94 for retreat, and I could not believe..they all seemed to be about 6'5"...every one of them! Besides that , there's Mesquitoes in Wi., BD candy fight in '94 somewhere in Ohio, just great memories! Too bad retreat is pretty lame now. The two regular season shows I've seen this year have been DM only...boring! I know the corps have places to go and people to see, but come on! There's memories to be made here for the fans AND the performers. Bring 'em all back on...let the audience thank them once more!

Oh yeah, just remembered 98 finals, didn't bd play right into SCV's block? I thought that was pretty darn funny. I'm sure it was loud, and trying to hold the block together was quite the task I'm sure! Seems like I remember something like that, but I've had kids since then...memory fading...Please...help!

Any Blue Stars remmember "bite the chain" ?

i think that was mostly done by drummers in early 90's but I think some people might of done it to take the mind off of laughing and some of the comments other corps would make so they would not break

This just popped in my head on the way home from rehearsal tonight. Back in my Northern Aurora days, we were pretty much neck and neck with the Glassmen. Midwest tour (first tour) had us up against each other almost every night. I hate to say this but ...... our nickname for them back then was the "noclassmen" (don't hit me .. I know things have changed). On a few occassion, I would get the smell of pepperoni in my nose on the field during retreat ............... only to look over and see the Domino's delivery guy on the back sideline passing pizza's into the Glassmen ranks. :blink:

I can't remember if I laughed or cried .. but I do remember that pizza smelt **** good!

seems like it was either one or the other, but not a medley in those days (either America OR o Canada)

Back in the Mid 80's America and O'Canada were done in mass by ALL div2/3 (A-60/90) corps. I dont' recall how many of us were on the field in 87 but it seems like we were elbow to elbow from end of endzone to end of endzone with about 30 rows deep. WOW .. that's alot of Div2/3 corps you might say. Alot more than there is now anyway. 36 then....28 last year. Here's something interesting to check out http://www.corpsreps.com/scores.cfm?view=s...;showid=1982176 <--- how many of those OPEN CLASS corps are still around?

It was fun.......semi rant over :P

I remember EARLY season 1999 when BD won their first midwest show at Normal, IL. There was a rumor that in 1998, BD hadn't rehearsed America/O'Canada at all until after their first win (which was the first show) and barely anyone knew American/O Canada.... So from what I heard they really sounded terrible and some were making stuff up... hilarious, right? Too bad I wasn't there...

BUT... in 1999 when we first met with them in Normal, and they won the show...and thus got to start the opening measures of America/O Canada, it sounded AWFUL! It sounded like they had never even ran through the piece. And this is probably one of the best hornlines in DCI history! I mean... wow. We all got a really big kick out of it, and you know the Blue Devils! They got a kick out of it, too!

i have a GREAT story from 2003's indy retreat involving an SCV bari player with his foot on the line and the adjacent corps' horn seargent... goooood times :)

6th or 8th you guys put on a #### of a show. I, for one, loved 1992 Regiment. You should be proud.

You guys were rockin', too. I loved 91 and 92 Madmen. The closer was son intense all year long in 92. We did it at UNA a few years later and never could match the intensity, but we tried. It was fun to play (I wish we could've played it in G, the mello parts would've been a lot more fun).