Cool Retreat Moments

Yeah, the Americanos almost had it out with a corps (I want to say it was Jersey Surf) in 01. We were all linned up, and their entire horn block had their foot on the line. So, my horn seargant went over to ask them to move. The guy agrees, and the immideately goes to parade rest with his foot on the line...well, some not so nice things were said, and the traditional Americanos A began to migrate over to that spot. FUnny thing is, I can't remmmember how the whole thing got resolved, but I'm pretty sure they moved.

And yes, the Bite the Chain chant was what we used to say to Blue Stars when they were getting ready to laugh

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

div II/III finals week last year. Raiders were next to us (Memphis) during retreat. their horn sarge was walkin through their ranks with a small bag of popcorn and letting each member reach in and get a few pieces. the next day, an age-out in our horn line had a huge barrel of cheese balls. he was going through our ranks with it giving each member a chance to reach and grab some. and when i say huge, im talkin Sam's Club huge. and while this was going on, Jersey Surf (who was about 3 corps down) and Memphis were swapping pieces of candy. how do you ask? by throwing them across the other corps to each other of course. of course some pieces "accidently" hit other corps, but oh well. and then, just about every member in the Memphis horn line pulls a balloon out from the gauntlet and places it in their mouth and starts blowing it up. and then to top it off, during america/o canada, a bari player swaps horns with a contra player and just starts blowing the crap out of it. i dont even think he knew the music. i think thats it, but then again i was in the front on the block so i didnt see everything. maybe someone else can mention some more.

One word: Gunther.

B)

Also:

Art

bArt

cArt...

You know what I mean if you know about it

Edited by oswald

if the corps standing next to us at retreat took best color gaurd, we would yell over that means you'll be in 3rd place, sorry color gaurd people,no disrespect intended, we thought if you didn't win any captions they automatically gave you best color gaurd so you'd have a trophy to take home

in 1982, the cadets were starting to make their run up to their very successful career in the 80s and beyond. at the huntington, wv show, the cadets beat the vanguard for the only time that season. the bridgemen were next to us at retreat. when it was their turn to play off the field (they took 3rd that night), their DM came up to our DM and said something before they started playing. they played "shaft" as they went off the field that night. after the show, our DM let us in on the conversation. the bridgemen DM major said, "this one's for you 'cause you got it tonight . . . "

Played Baritone for impulse in 2001.. chucked a box of lemonheads into Esperanzas horn block at a retreat in Iowa... heard these little click and clacks lol... it was funny

In 1989 (after I aged out and started teaching), I got to watch many corps every night for the first time in my life. My favorite show of all time was Phantom's New World Symphony that year. SCV, of course, won that year with Phantom of the Opera. I was not a big fan of that show (too dirty, bad intervals, sloppy drums....but awesome GE). In fact, I think the stadium was pretty spilt that night: many thought SCV deserved to win, many thought Phantom desreved first place.

Anyway, during retreat, the 2 corps were lined up next to each other. And of course, once all the other corps left the filed it was just Phantom and SCV. What happened next was awesome to watch (and to hear): Phantom turned to face SCV, and began playing New World right from the top. They didn't back up, they didn't form an arc, either...they just turned and played right in SCV's faces (that's my recollection). The SCV members must have been shaking in their bucks that night....I know I would have been! Phantom's hornline was LOUD that year, but that night they must have tuned it up a notch.

In retrospect, SVC probably deserved to win that night. But I'm willing to bet every member of SCV realized just how good they must have been to beat Phantom that year!

One word: Gunther.

B)

i got to do that for the first retreat in 2003... and i was a rookie so i didnt know what to do- it was my first retreat- so when i went back to get gunther from the snares (before presenting him to the contras), i took a coupld steps into the cavies block (they were just walking in, it was wide open... i didnt see the big deal) and when i got back to the battery they all yelled at me like "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!" and i thought... oh no, this whole gunther thing was just a big joke on me and there really is no such thing and now i'm the one moron walking around the field while everyone else is standing still... GREAT!- but then she pulled out the...mascot... and handed him to me and i went back and did my thing... i could never spin him like kirk or mark (get it mark)... but i did my best...

if the corps standing next to us at retreat took best color gaurd, we would yell over that means you'll be in 3rd place, sorry color gaurd people,no disrespect intended, we thought if you didn't win any captions they automatically gave you best color gaurd so you'd have a trophy to take home

Delightful!