On tour...

zachsbugle

Who showered with their horn?  

133 members have voted

1. 1. Who showered with their horn?

• Did shower with horn
    • Didn't shower with horn

Oh, I think you're referring to the Pride of the Lions, of Regina, Saskatuan (I don't know how to spell it)

YES. yeah. I don't know how to spell it either. lol.

it's tight how people who do canadian bands do it for a long time.. the girl I lived with was in it for 10 years.. I've met others who've marched for 7 or 8 years as well.. that's a long time..

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How else would you clean your horn?  Our horns, at least the sopranos, didn't have valve felts.  We had rubber that the water didn't affect.  when you used water to remove the silver polish didn't you get water sopts? That's why I always polished my horn after I washed it.

nope. it's actually in the instructions :P I actually read them this year, it's amazing the things you learn on long bus rides. it says to rinse silver under running water.

Are you talking about the wrights silver polish? I've never washed it off before i just use a rag to wipe if off once it dries. If you dont can it hurt the plating?

We had guys who would kick a bar of soap around the shower whenever it was large enough, and have "Soap Soccer" games (in the buff!). I don't know if the girls had simular games in their showers, but I'd like to think so. ^0^

But WE choose these products. (Granted, some use Silvo, not I :P )

hahahaha, how scandalous! I think it'd be fun to play soccer with some soap but, I dunno about yours, our girls showerroom was usually too crowded to do anything and I guess it'd be kinda dangerous to do stuff while people are shaving.. :( I feel like I've missed out on so much now. I should've been born a boy.

silvo? I've never heard of that.. yeah I think they should sponsor the activity but then, I wonder if they've ever even heard of us. :/ Maybe someone should write them a letter letting them know just what a big part their product plays in the daily life of a member. At Wal Mart they actually stopped selling DCT; the lady had no idea what it was when I asked about it. It's getting harder and harder to find nowadays. :( I know Blue Knights are sponsored by General Mills though, I think more corps should go after food companies for sponsorship. It seems logical since soo much food goes through the truck every day..

Are you talking about the wrights silver polish? I've never washed it off before i just use a rag to wipe if off once it dries. If you dont can it hurt the plating?

yes I am, no it doesn't. yeah I used to use a rag too. It works, but you still get little bits of polish stuck in hard to reach places. Well. Tell you what, I've got my wright's right in front of me on my table since I still use it on my trumpet. I'll copy down the instructions for the edification of all :)

*Apply with a clean, wet cloth or enclosed sponge.

*Polish thoroughly to remove all tarnish.

*Add more water as needed.

*Rinse silver under running water.

*Dry with a clean, soft cloth.

It doesn't hurt the plating anymore than wiping it off with a cloth does and it's sooo much faster and more thorough.

I've always showered with my horn.

On the silver polish it even says -- "Rinse with water". We are currently playing Die-nasty B-flats. As far as I know -- the valve felts are actually rubber so showering wit them isn't a problem. Its quick and easy -- our contras just give 'er a quick wipe and take 'em into the shower.

And yes, the showering scene is pretty funny. I remember one shower that was so hot no one could stand in it, so we took turns running through the shower than soaping than running back through.

Lotsa funny #### in the locker room.

I also know a guy who marched for 11 years of junior corps, I think he marched grenadiers last summer. I think he marched 9 or 10 years with Kiwanis.

Anyway -- the key to a quick horn clean is to shower with it. It comes out shiny and all you have to do is dry and polish a little.

I shower with my baby (horn) on tour and at home. He gets really dirty on tour and in band class....

I also know a guy who marched for 11 years of junior corps, I think he marched grenadiers last summer.  I think he marched 9 or 10 years with Kiwanis.

Really? That's a long time. What's his name, I might have marched with him.

For that matter, when did you join? I might have marched with you.

I'm Pete Mason, and I was a Bari and Euph player from 1997 to 1999; I came over from out west (along with Terrance, Mike Freed, and Rosemary), but I am from Washington, not California. I hung out with Tony & Helena Almaguer, Derek Shannon, Randy Mills, and Beaver.

If none of this makes sense, then I probably didn't march with you, but that's OK! :)

Edited by Disco Pete