Mon Valley Express

I dunno, i think other small corps who live on a shoestring should be aware of potential issues if they too get burned on a bus issue that basically breaks the bank

We had the motor on our equipment truck grenade on the way back from DCA two years ago (it might have something to do with down-shifting from 5th to 2nd). That is the primary reason we only took the minicorps last year. But we recovered and we are bringing the whole corps again this year and hopefully every year from here on out.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Tony said above about that borrowed truck, that could have broken us, but we had a few people from the corps step up with some money and other assistance that kept us from have a complete financial breakdown. I am still very thankful to them.

I hope MVE can work through whatever problems they may have at this time and be able to return to the competitive field in the near future. I am sure it is what you want to be able to do, but only when it makes financial sense.

'Til we meet on the field, I wish you good luck with whatever your future holds. Keep your heads up, your options open, and have fun.

that spurs a thought for MVE,.....................................we were contacted about a year or so ago about participating in a corps to perform at Steelers games as the "Steeler Corps",............similar to the Redskins Band,...................................the contact came to us through Steve at DCW,.................

That was tried , along with the offical drumline, neither went very far. Unfortunately others screwed that up for everyone else.The drumcorps community here is its own worse enemy sometimes.You should have been at the almost mini trial we had to go through because of the other corps that were in South and North Park before us.

Jeff,

First, I'm very sorry I missed the opportunity to see your corps at the Arnold, Maryland, contest. I am aware of the corps' misfortunes traveling to this show and am saddened that this apparently triggered a chain of events that will prevent your corps from attending the festivities in Rochester.

We all look forward to seeing you next season.

As a suggestion, you might find some benefit in contacting Tom MacDonald from Capital Brass (who previously posted in this thread) offline. He is putting that corps back together and may have some creative ideas you can utilize in rebuilding MVE's foundation, keeping your corps' name in the public eye, and generating some local performance opportunities.

The best of luck to you and the members of Mon Valley Express!

Jeff,

Sorry to hear the bad news. Is there any hope of financial/personnel help from the General Butler Vagabonds? They still have a corps hall, buses, successful bingo and the parade corps has been getting a little older from what I've heard. I had heard that the Big A wanted to take a more senior corps route in the future anyway.

Anyhow, sorry to see Drum Corps lose another of our family.

Pearl

Man, thinking what's out in that corner of the state and :( .

About 4-5 hours to Reading and Rochester for competative corps. But MVE seemed to have that small corps family type feel from the posts I read. Geez, can think of 3 Alumni corps in a shorter drive but no no competative corps. Again MVE was filling a big empty hole in that area for DC. :(

It felt alot like a family too. had more fun in the last coupple of years with the group of people in the corps, than I've had in a long time. It was alwasy great to march alongside them.

Jeff,

Sorry to hear the bad news. Is there any hope of financial/personnel help from the General Butler Vagabonds? They still have a corps hall, buses, successful bingo and the parade corps has been getting a little older from what I've heard. I had heard that the Big A wanted to take a more senior corps route in the future anyway.

Anyhow, sorry to see Drum Corps lose another of our family.

Pearl

There is nothing in Butler but a handful of little kids banging on drums and tooting on horns for parades. The corps still runs a gigantic money making bingo and has a corps hall and another corps hall for rehearsing.

There have been two senior corps to come out of the General Butler organization in the last 10 years (Butler Soundwave and Nightstorm). The thing is, Andy has to spend that money that is generated from the bingo! Yes, that would be a great place to start a senior corps, plus it's 20 minutes from my house.

After hearing about this from my mini-me last night, I'm just glad I had a bottle of Bacardi & some gin to calm me down... I can honestly say that Mon Valley has been one of THE biggest things in my life and there's no way I can let it die now. After I graduated high school, I went through a music withdrawl, basically. I didn't have a contra to play and the only drum corps music I ever heard was on my burned CD's. I jumped into MVE and I've enjoyed every minute on & off the field with the great group of people I've been lucky enough to meet.

Music is in my blood and I just don't know what to do next...

reminds you of how important it is to keep these local groups going

Jeff,

I am deeply sadened to hear of this news....you guys deserve so much better than this! But, I am glad to hear that you will still be doing things locally & hopefully you will be able to come back strong in the very near future! Don't ever give up, but be hopeful & continue to press ever harder towards the goal!!!

My heart and prayers go out to you & the entire Mon Valley Express organization.

Best Of Wishes for a speedy return to the Field in '07!

Jeff, please keep us informed of any gigs the corps will be doing.

Just 'cause ya ain't competing doesn't mean we don't want to see ya!!!!

Yeah, I know, flag for using a triple negative. :laugh: