The curse of Success

I'm curious - how did people react to the Cadets when they won so much in the 80s, or of the Blue Devils in the 70s and again in the 90s? Is this, almost resentful anyone but them, attitude new or was it present then as well?

What I'm really referring to is how the corps were perceived while they were experiencing their respective winning streaks. Were people tirred of the Cadets winning so much (83, 84, 85, 87), and the Blue Devils (76, 77, 79, 80 and again in 94, 96, 97, 99). These years stick out to me because they were all in such close proximity, just as the Cavaliers recent streak has been.

I won't lie, I have my own fair amount of bias based on my marching experiences concerning the Cavaliers - but I think I am fair in my discussion of them for the most part. I am wondering how much of the flack they get has to do with their success. This also pertains to other corps, because it seems that people always seem to enjoy corps more when they aren't a threat to the established order. I've definately noticed a lot more discussion about Bluecoats and Regiment this year - much of it is not flattering, but I guess it must be taken along with competetive success.

as far as competing corps go..

noone likes the whoever is in the #1 spot.. yet everyone tries to get it. look at sled dogs..

as far as judges go..

a corps that consistently wins, has to prove themselves MORE than everyone else, if they want to keep winning. that top corps is on a different level than everyone else, and will be judged to a higher standard, not because that judge thinks that corps is good, but KNOWS that corps is good, and should be able to do it better than everyone else. especially if that corps is going for a repeat, or a 3 peat. if a corps does the same show two years in a row, and the 2nd year is at the same level, or slightly "less" than the previous year... do you think the judges will reward them for that? no.. they have that corps at a certain level/pedestal.. its up to that corp to prove themselves why noone else can beat them.

as far as the audience goes..

besides the people who are die hards for their certain "beloved" corps, i dont think the audience in general cares... as long as they are entertained and the "best" corps wins. of course everyone wants to see their favorite corps take home the gold.. but people also like (im assuming at least) some competition.. if a corps goes undefeated for 10 years straight.. everyone will probably get tired of that happened.. but if for 10 years straight, the winner is completely up in the air until finals night, and the placements are close (and their performances reflect that).. then i think everyone would be happy for the most part

Every finals I have attended, which is admittedly not very many, the biggest crowd at a souvie booth has always been for the corps that ends up winning.

If souvie sales determined the winner, the Cavaliers would still be on top. :worthy:

I don't remember any attitude toward either BD or Garfield back when each of them were dominant, nor any toward Vanguard when they popped through in the early 70s. I'm sure there was some, but it wasn't exhibited by anyone I knew who was marching against those corps. Most marching members appreciated the quality of what they were doing, as did the fans.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but most of the criticism I'm seeing this year of Cavaliers is coming from those who support another Illinois corps. That being the case, this seems more of a Cubs/Sox argument than a nationwide debate.

Edited by mobrien

I'm curious - how did people react to the Cadets when they won so much in the 80s, or of the Blue Devils in the 70s and again in the 90s? Is this, almost resentful anyone but them, attitude new or was it present then as well?

Yes, those attidues existed toward Blue Devils in the early 80s and toward Garfield (as they were known then) in the later 80s. In the early 80s (when buttons/pins were popular) you'd go to shows and see people wearing buttons that said "Anyone but BD". Later in the 80s, it was the same sentiment for Garfield.

But this kind of sentiment I think is pretty typical - look at sports teams who are dominant for several years like the Steelers in the 70s and the Cowboys in the 80s or the Yankees. They were the ones that everyone was gunning for. When you're at the top, you've got a target on your back. There's even an audio interview with Jeff Fiedler on DCI.org recently where he says exactly that.

Edited by PRAng

Cire, that's spoken like a true BD alumn.

As for the other comments - the buttons that PRAng talked about really answer my question. People talk about how bad it is now, but you don't see people actually wearing buttons and t-shirts saying it.

I believe it largely depends on how the director, staff and corps handle the success. Some corps have won and remain humble and respectful, so they remain popular.

There's probably no quicker way to unpopularity in our culture than arrogant, condescending winners. That's where some directors and corps have run into problems.

welcome to America, where we fight to get the little guy to the top, then once they are they, we do everything we can to rip them down.