SAY WHAT?

I would bet that two of the lowest attended finals were Jackson, MI and Miami, FL. A long trip for most drum corps fans, and ungodly hot and humid both places. I didn't attend either of those Finals, but I have heard stories that the attendance was pretty low both years.

Its kind of ironic that "membase" guessed that one of the Montreal championships would be one of the lowest attended Finals ever. In fact, the 1981 Finals in Monteal still holds the record for the highest official attendance with 35,947. It was an awesome sight from the field. Olympic Stadium was packed all the way around into the end zones. The crowd noise was insane. As much as I love Finals when it is in Madison, I don't believe attendance there has ever approached 40,000. I would LOVE to see the 1981 attendance record fall sometime in the future, however.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would bet that two of the lowest attended finals were Jackson, MI and Miami, FL. A long trip for most drum corps fans, and ungodly hot and humid both places. I didn't attend either of those Finals, but I have heard stories that the attendance was pretty low both years.

I was at Jackson and I don't remember how big that stadium was but then concert side was full. If there was a big drop off in attendence I didn't see it.

Also at Dallas the concert side of the Cotton Bowl was completly full. But other than Orlando it seems finals will not come south again for a while. I thought KC was a killer venue.

If it means coming to a dome to get it back down south though.... nevermind. DC + Domes = Suck.

Also remember any "official" numbers only include paid attendance. Alot of times we see FULL concert sides, you have to include all the corps kids and staffs (especially at regionals) that fill in on the ends.

With that said....I've been to Finals alot in the past 10 years (missed Denver, Buffalo, and Madison 02) but Boston last year was the biggest crowd I've ever seen personally at a drumcorps show.

I have a strong feeling 07 is going to break the record for attendance.

In 2004 at TOC in Pasadena didnt that get close to 10,000 people. And that's just a special event, I'd say that is a rather HUGE sampling and a indication of what to expect for finals next year. I would guess at least low 30,000 as a conservative number. Combine the attendance numbers alone just from the 3 TOC Shows alone is rather impressive, I can just imagine how many people just from within the State of California will be in those seats. It will be very interesting

Edited by Zeke

next year we may break the record - maybe 40 something?
Check your old DCWs and DCNs. 40,000+- attendance was commonplace in the Golden Age, and not only at all the Nationals.

Check your old DCWs and DCNs. 40,000+- attendance was commonplace in the Golden Age, and not only at all the Nationals.

Yeah, but you have to take into account the manna that fell from Heaven on the crowds then, too, which was a big draw. #### DCI and their budget cuts!

hmm, I seem to have forgotten to get some of those from before I was born. Do you mind posting these numbers for all of us poor saps who weren't lucky enough to be alive in the "golden age."

Attendance had a lot to do with how many corps were participating too.

I'm pretty sure that attendance peaked in 1981, Montreal. The corps attendance

peaked as well. Here are some interesting numbers:

Qty Year Place

98 1981 Montreal, QUE

98 1982 Montreal, QUE

81 1976 Philadelphia, PA

78 1977 Denver, CO

75 1975 Philadelphia, PA

73 1994 Foxboro, MA

69 1992 Madison, WI

68 1990 Buffalo, NY

67 1978 Denver, CO

67 1985 Madison, WI

67 1988 Kansas City, MO

67 1995 Buffalo, NY

66 1979 Birmingham, AL

65 1980 Birmingham, AL

65 1987 Madison, WI

65 1997 Orlando, FL

64 1996 Orlando, FL

62 1986 Madison, WI

60 1989 Kansas City, MO

60 1993 Jackson, MS

57 1974 Ithaca, NY

57 1984 Atlanta, GA

57 1991 Dallas, TX

56 1998 Orlando, FL

52 1983 Miami, FL

48 1973 Whitewater, WI

39 1972 Whitewater, WI

Wow... look at the difference between 1982 and 1983.

Edited by audiodave