Quarterfinals lineup announced

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I spent 3 seasons on the road with Southwind ('02-'04) as their head cook. When I first signed up, I didn't know anyone affiliated with the corps. At the time they were associated with the Scouts and Capital Sound. I chose to tour with them, because I was tired of seeing them in the shadow of another corps. They just needed people to believe in them. Since then, the corps has grown in so many ways, and are shining all on their own. Think about the strides that they have made over the past few seasons. They are a class act. The staff and members are the most amazing people, both on and off the field. So when I read negative comments like "Screw Southwind" on the forum, it is hard for me to respect those people, and the comments that they make. Everyone has favorite corps, and corps/shows that they don't care for... but this forum is for people who love drum corps to come together- there is no reason to get nasty. They are in the Cinecast, because according to DCI's ranking system, they earned the right to be there. Let there fans be happy for them.

Edited by sklenn

I spent 3 seasons on the road with Southwind ('02-'04) as their head cook. When I first signed up, I didn't know anyone affiliated with the corps. At the time they were associated with the Scouts and Capital Sound. I chose to tour with them, because I was tired of seeing them in the shadow of another corps. They just needed people to believe in them. Since then, the corps has grown in so many ways, and are shining all on their own. Think about the strides that they have made over the past few seasons. They are a class act. The staff and members are the most amazing people, both on and off the field. So when I read negative comments like "Screw Southwind" on the forum, it is hard for me to respect those people, and the comments that they make. Everyone has favorite corps, and corps/shows that they don't care for... but this forum is for people who love drum corps to come together- there is no reason to get nasty. They are in the Cinecast, because according to DCI's ranking system, they earned the right to be there. Let there fans be happy for them.

I don't know if anyone is saying "Screw Southwind." Persoanlly as I said in the first response I do not care for the Mandarins show this year and I love the Southwind show. Honestly, I thought they have been getting screwed all seaon long, but my point was that the judges had not agreed and in the head to head competition Mandarins were on top, and thus deserve to be. Persoanlly, I will enjoy the #### out of the SW show. I think it is one of the more entertainig shows out there this summer. Good luck to them and the Mandarins, I wish DCi would just go ahead and show the entire Quarter finals show so that no one is left out. THey are all class acts!! :blink:

Wes Perkins

BK '97 '98

If memory serves, didn't Southwind miss being in the broadcast last year for the same reasons the Mandarins are missing it this year?

BTW, welcome to highs and lows of DCI. Does anyone remember the top six live broadcast on PBS years ago? A real bummer is being seeded 7th for finals but winning 6th place...and not making the broadcast. But to be honest, I would rather have 6th than be on the broadcast (if given the choice).

Imperfect system, but it works.

Well, Mandarins might not have made the cinecast, but if they have beaten Swind the past few times, it sounds like they will have the last laugh because they will be performing Friday, whereas Swind would not be. Personally, that's the position I'd rather be in.

Yea, but...being that Sacramento is on the west coast of the country, the cinnecast is how many local fans get to see the corps, a corps that is ranked 17 regardless of what all the "but it is an average" people say. Also, for those who have marched in a lower ranked corps, performing in top 17 is somewhat of a deal, not a big deal but it is nice.

Best of luck to all the competeing corps on Thursday.

I think it's a shame that the bottom six corps are determined "not worthy" of being shown on Cinecast.

So sad.

Over 800 kids spent just as much blood, sweat and tears as the top corps - busting their butts, sweating

in this record heat, and trying day after day day after day to improve.

While the friends, parents, neighbors, relatives and schoolmates of the top 17 corps get to see them

perform, the lowest scoring six have no such respect. Not only does everyone not get a chance to see

them, but they have to explain they won't be seen on the screen because they just didn't cut it.

I understand that broadcasting this is not cheap and I also understand that attendance earlier in the day

may not be as high as in the evening.

But I think it is a slap in the face to those kids who have tried so hard for months and were basically told

they just weren't good enough to be shown with the others.

Yea, but...being that Sacramento is on the west coast of the country, the cinnecast is how many local fans get to see the corps, a corps that is ranked 17 regardless of what all the "but it is an average" people say. Also, for those who have marched in a lower ranked corps, performing in top 17 is somewhat of a deal, not a big deal but it is nice.

Best of luck to all the competeing corps on Thursday.

West coast fans with season pass will most likely see them on Friday. Also, I have marched in a lower ranked corps. I missed out on Semis by 0.05. I know what it feels like, and I would much rather have marched semis.

Something else.

That is all that is taken into consideration. We're not talking about a drum corps equivalent of the "BCS formula" here. The criteria is clear and I'm sure all the corps knew what it would be before tour. Mandarins may beat Southwind, but they did not generate a score average high enough to be seeded ahead of them for Quarterfinals. Perhaps they should have gone to more shows. This is only bad for people who want to see the Cinecast. People going to Quarters, Semis, and Finals will see Mandarins twice (if they come in 17th on Thursday) and only see Southwind once. That's all that likely matters to the corps and its members as well.

But it wasn't an issue of Mandarins not attending enough shows. They were at DIFFERENT shows from Southwind, and based on the judges at the differing shows, scores were high/low. Allentown, though different nights, used the same panel of judges for both nights and Mandarins' score was once again ahead of Southwind. Seeing as how Mandarins beat Southwind at EVERY meeting (which were the major DCI shows), it seems a bit ridiculous that Southwind landed in the Cinecast.

If memory serves, didn't Southwind miss being in the broadcast last year for the same reasons the Mandarins are missing it this year?

Not sure...possible, but seeing as how Mandarins and Seattle both beat Southwind last year to make Semis, it wasn't really the same situation. This year, Mandarins seem pretty well-primed to make it to Friday night, but they'll miss being seen live. I agree that it's an imperfect system. Perhaps more weight for the "averaging" should be given to the focus shows that occur each week where all (or almost all) corps compete head-to-head.

Same with Bluecoats and The Cadets. Coats now have the 5th slot even though they have beaten the Cadets in all (or most) major shows this year. Kinda sucks for them but i guess that's drumcorp LIFE!!!

Yes. what a slap in the face for :blink: The Bluecoats :rock: They earned the right to go on after <**> Cadets <**>