Another Allentown Look [pt. 2]

Buccaneers: a little underwhelming for me personally. I expected more. There were a few phasing issues and some dirty drill sets. Percussion seemed to be the strength during this performance.

Pacific Crest: very entertaining show. Visual program was nicely conceived and executed. Soprano line was a little lacking compared to the rest of the ensemble. And although it would be a logistical nightmare, I would have mic’ed the drum set.

Cascades: nice concept, ballad was effective. The overall audience response appeared to be ‘nice, who’s next’. There were some drill issues - coverage, dressing to basic forms - that should have been cleaned by now.

Southwind: I loved the the show concept. The arrangements were nice - except for the percussion interludes in ‘Claire de Lune’. Probably one of the shows I’ll remember most from this season.

Crossmen: Very entertaining. The visual package was a good match for the horn book. The comments concerning the narration in the radio segment made by others I am in agreement with. Performance issues will keep this out of the top twelve. Maybe an earlier tour start would have helped. [the xmen alums behind me also questioned the late tour start and thought that the loss of the extra week’s worth of shows put them at a disadvantage all season long.]

Spirit: Safe show, familiar tunes. If they get lazy at Madison they can be beaten.

Madison: Clearly on their way back up. The drill is a major step up from the last couple of seasons and it is also their weak spot right now - not as bad as some posters have stated but clearly a step behind the other show components. Kinda missed the screaming soprano line from years past.

Blue Knights: No pun intended, but this is my dark horse for Madison. A very dark, serious work that will possibly achieve cult status down the line. Visual program seemed a little lacking compared to previous BK groups but was still effective for the most part.

Carolina Crown: Killer drill. Very balanced sound throughout. The Star comparisons are justified a little but the overall effect is more accessible to the audience. I want a high camera POV to break down the opening and closing drill sequences.

Santa Clara: First Question: How is this in 6th? It should be fifth at the very least and probably fourth by the time the dust settles in Madison. Drill carries the show theme well and the solo marcher outlining the field is an inspired move. [during the show you catch yourself checking to see where he is to make sure that he is still moving.] Brass seems to be a bit of an issue at the moment.

Bluecoats: Major step up in drill this year. Horn book is nicely arranged - closer is a little less powerful than the preceding segments. If they hold on and max out they should be able to hold on to fourth. I see SCV catching them but not Cadets.

Blue Devils: They have a drill this year. Still a step below Phantom and Cavies in my eyes. As always, music is clean as is the visual program. The cleanliness of the performance is what is keeping them in the hunt. I see them in second not first.

Bridgemen: Ahhhh! Thank You! Had to explain to my girlfriend exactly why people were going bananas just for their entrance on to the field. The comedic effects were great and expected, Pagliacci and In the Stone were cooking bigtime. When the performance was over, those of us in section G just kinda stood there stunned, knowing that we had witnessed something special. Welcome Back My Friends...

Final Thoughts: Great two days in A-Town; I doubt I will be back next year due to the earlier dates but my newly converted fan girlfriend says we will be there if she has to drag me kicking and screaming. If A-Town is no more after 07, I put my vote in for College Park or Unitas Stadium in Towson, Maryland.

I’m out.

gil

Did the Bridgemen do a full field show? Any of their old drill moves?

They entered from the back centered on the fifty. Rifle line did some of the old circle type routines they've done in the past. The horn/perc block stayed centered on the fifty with a reset in the middle of Land of Make Believe. They came to the front for William Tell and then ran to the end zone for Battle Hymn. There was also an audible 'transition set' somewhere in there. I was a little caught up in the moment to be honest.

gil

There was just enough drill to make it seem like a "full show." Actually, only about 20 pages. We kept the horn line inside the 30s, facing the audience, but there was drill. The only things missing were the shuffle (it wasn't pretty when we tried it a few months ago) and marching on our knees (most of us are middle aged, after all).

We did more drill in the '94 Lancers, but Lancers were better known for drill than the Bridgemen. Of course, the Lancers had only been "dead" for 7 years; Bridgemen have been gone for 19 -- it does get harder with the passage of time.

In comparison, the Bridgemen's music book is more demanding. Kerchner's charts are deceptively simple, but layered in very interesting, often complex, ways.

Kudos to the Bridgemen staff for picking just the right mix to make sure that the show was complete, but feasible given the membership. We rehearsed pretty heavily in the spring, but have only had "day of show" rehearsals since June 10. Thats about 25 hours on the field. Some of the corps in Allentown had 25 hours in the last two days! All things considered, I think the corps pulled it off pretty well.

I am just thankful to have been living in Boston in '94 and NYC in '06 -- two incredible experiences. There is nothing more addictive than the roar of the crowd.

I hear that Madison's alums will be doing a lot of drill along with their wall of sound. Can't wait to hear and see them.

Bayonne had the greatest visual transition of all time :P

There was just enough drill to make it seem like a "full show." Actually, only about 20 pages. We kept the horn line inside the 30s, facing the audience, but there was drill. The only things missing were the shuffle (it wasn't pretty when we tried it a few months ago) and marching on our knees (most of us are middle aged, after all).

We did more drill in the '94 Lancers, but Lancers were better known for drill than the Bridgemen. Of course, the Lancers had only been "dead" for 7 years; Bridgemen have been gone for 19 -- it does get harder with the passage of time.

In comparison, the Bridgemen's music book is more demanding. Kerchner's charts are deceptively simple, but layered in very interesting, often complex, ways.

Kudos to the Bridgemen staff for picking just the right mix to make sure that the show was complete, but feasible given the membership. We rehearsed pretty heavily in the spring, but have only had "day of show" rehearsals since June 10. Thats about 25 hours on the field. Some of the corps in Allentown had 25 hours in the last two days! All things considered, I think the corps pulled it off pretty well.

I am just thankful to have been living in Boston in '94 and NYC in '06 -- two incredible experiences. There is nothing more addictive than the roar of the crowd.

I hear that Madison's alums will be doing a lot of drill along with their wall of sound. Can't wait to hear and see them.

Although we were known for our drill/guard a bit more than anything else in my day, we just had too many people on the field. Don't forget we sure did have a long stationary concert in 94, so we really didn't move that much either, however it was a full field show, not rehearsed that much, with people coming in 3 days before performing the whole show!

I was just wondering because no one actually mentioned drill. I believe our rifles may have had the most field coverage in 94, all 26 of us.

It may have been 7 years from 86 to 94, but it was 14 years since I had marched and 15 to 35+ for others, so I'd say all things considered it was the same-we had members from the senior IC Reveries (circa 1966) on the field that night. We went from about 19 to 73 years old......I'm sure in each case people were still rehearsing or still in some way active in playing/teaching/judging.........I don't care what age, it's like riding a bike and the applause never get old!

CONGRATUATIONS BRIDGEMEN FOR A GREAT FIRST YEAR!!

I got hit on the head with a flag rehearsing the drum solo. Someone over-shot the toss over the rifles and "BONK!!!!", right on the ole squash! I'm still seeing stars! :lolhit:

Watching the video, the drill was dirty, but it worked.

Bridgemen - I don't blame you for not doing the company front on your knees. It would take a winch to get me back to my feet!! Wish you could have gotten the shuffle, though. That was the ultimate in NY/NJ cool!!! (Can it be done with walkers??)

Bridgemen - I don't blame you for not doing the company front on your knees. It would take a winch to get me back to my feet!! Wish you could have gotten the shuffle, though. That was the ultimate in NY/NJ cool!!! (Can it be done with walkers??)

Probably even better!

Reading that, "Along came Biali" flashes through my mind (from "The Producers" for those not in the know) :P

If Bayonne wants to do a NEW tune in the true "Bayonne style"...wouldn't that one be a GREAT idea!

<--- member of that 25% :(

no one has told me when the next Remedial Shuffle for Dummies class is to be held :ph34r: