DCI 1st Place Tie Breaker

Is the current tie break system unfair?  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Is the current tie break system unfair?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it goes like this...I could be wrong since I read this in late 2000/early 2001

The ordinal tie-breaker that everyone has discussed is used first...

If that doesn't break the tie, then they look at which corps got the more 1st place scores....

The final resort is the higher GE score...if that doesn't break the tie, then the tie stands

Having said that...

From the competitive standpoint, having one or two numbers from the panel determine the outcome of the entire season is horse####

To me, the ONLY acceptable tie-breaker is to clear the field and make them go again

They're not competing for first and second...they're competing again for overall final placement

Take 2000...we knew the high score was a 96.9 for the Blue Devils...Cadets and Cavies have to go again...if one of them scored below 96.9, they finish 3rd, Blue Devils finish 2nd

If BOTH score below 96.9, then "Congratulations, Blue Devils, you just won your 11th title"

----

Cadets 97.65

Cavies 97.65*

* = due to a tiebreaking rule, the Cavies actually took 2nd..only the Cadets actually won the title

----

No way <**>

To go out there and bust your ### just as hard as the other corps only to have the officials say, "oh well this one number is higher than yours, so your 97.65 isn't as important as theirs...man, you were so close, too...sorry 'bout that"...that's far less acceptable than letting a tie stand to me

If performing again isn't feasible, then the tie stands...people can ##### and moan all they want..."the judges can't make a decision"...well I'd rather see the decision being made during the performances instead of an analysis of the recaps afterward

Let the decision be made on the field

Edited by JMS0527

I think it goes like this...I could be wrong since I read this in late 2000/early 2001

The ordinal tie-breaker that everyone has discussed is used first...

If that doesn't break the tie, then they look at which corps got the more 1st place scores....

The final resort is the higher GE score...if that doesn't break the tie, then the tie stands

Having said that...

From the competitive standpoint, having one or two numbers from the panel determine the outcome of the entire season is horse####

To me, the ONLY acceptable tie-breaker is to clear the field and make them go again

They're not competing for first and second...they're competing again for overall final placement

Take 2000...we knew the high score was a 96.9 for the Blue Devils...Cadets and Cavies have to go again...if one of them scored below 96.9, they finish 3rd, Blue Devils finish 2nd

If BOTH score below 96.9, then "Congratulations, Blue Devils, you just won your 11th title"

Interesting idea but would that be fair either? Is it likely that your second performance within an hour is going to be as good as you first one? If a "do-over" is what you want, make it to break the tie, but not over final placement. Edited by boilerman_05

I've heard that Phantom's encore in '96 was stronger than the competitive one...that doesn't mean it's more likely in general I realize

So my answer is that it's more fair than the alternatives

And I don't think it's fair to say that corps A is second even though corps A's score is lower than corps B who performed only once earlier

Edited by JMS0527

See my edited post

Unfair. There should be a one-on-one march-off between the two corps. Imagine how exciting that would be. I seem to recall hearing that this happened once at a regional many years ago -- can anyone confirm whether it is true?

It happened between Phantom Regiment and Madison Scouts at the Drum Corps Midwest finals in the early 1980s. The show got over WAY late (I was there)...Remember that the corps have to warm up again to be ready to perform a second time, so there was a lot of dead time.

Having a march-off would screw up everyone who had an early flight to catch in the morning, and it would be morning before such an event would take place.

Also, it wouldn't work because the stadium crews, security and police forces, ambulance personel, food booth workers, etc., etc. would have to be told in advance that they MIGHT be working a couple hours later than everyone thinks they'll be working, AND they wouldn't know for sure UNTIL the final scores are announced. Can you imagine how THAT would go over? (You mention a tie-breaker is unfair. Imagine what those people would call a suddenly-announced march-off.)

Plus, figure in the extra costs of paying all those people for their extra time that they didn't anticipate. It's not just us... There are hundreds of non-drum corps people who work at our events. And we'd have to pay more for the use of the stadium beyond the agreed upon time.

What about the souvie people. When would they break down their displays?

Besides people with early morning flights, corps buses wouldn't be able to leave on time and everyone's schedule would be messed up. Can you imagine any corps (or visiting band or whatever) telling their people that they couldn't watch the march-off because their buses had to leave?

Exactly why a tie should just be... a tie! If they were at the same level to tie in the first place, then there should be no breaker. Both earned the same spot with the same score, just let it be. In sports there isnt always tie breakers. 10W - 4L - 1T

Exactly why a tie should just be... a tie! If they were at the same level to tie in the first place, then there should be no breaker. Both earned the same spot with the same score, just let it be. In sports there isnt always tie breakers. 10W - 4L - 1T

But if it is for a championship there is, ala 1956 NFL. (2ots)