DCI 1st Place Tie Breaker

Is the current tie break system unfair?  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Is the current tie break system unfair?

• Yes
    • No

Well....we found something to disagree on! :P

Heh, I know, I was thinking the same thing the whole time I was writing that. :blink:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think tie-breakers stink. If the top two (or three?) corps end up with the same score at Finals, they are both deserving of the title.

If I were a member of the corps that lost the tie-breaker, I'd still buy myself a ring. I really think the BOD voted to put in a tie breaker after the fans pitched a fit after 99 and 00.

Just an FYI... Prior to '96, the tie-breaker was the corps with the highest GE score... which would have been PR that year.

I think tie-breakers stink. If the top two (or three?) corps end up with the same score at Finals, they are both deserving of the title.

But if one corps executed more aspects of the show better than the other, then they were the better corps.

Edited by Studio Tan

Let me put it like this... if you were the corps who lost the tie breaker how would you feel?

Look at it this way. If you were part of the tie-breaking captions that broke the tie to get the trophy (percussion or cg for example) then you would feel really good! Ties suck any way around. The judging is subjective anyway so might as well come out with one winner.

But if one corps executed more aspects of the show better than the other, then they were the better corps.

How is that so? It just means the other corps performed at even a higher level on the captions they did win, even if there were fewer of them.

For those who tend to think I am never critical of DCI...I was critical of the tie-breaker change on RAMD when it came out.

Look at it this way. If you were part of the tie-breaking captions that broke the tie to get the trophy (percussion or cg for example) then you would feel really good! Ties suck any way around. The judging is subjective anyway so might as well come out with one winner.

May as well read tea leaves...it's no more valid.

If I were a member of the corps that lost the tie-breaker, I'd still buy myself a ring. I really think the BOD voted to put in a tie breaker after the fans pitched a fit after 99 and 00.

Just an FYI... Prior to '96, the tie-breaker was the corps with the highest GE score... which would have been PR that year.

I liked the idea of GE being the tie breaker.