27th question

So, I know very little about the 27th organization as they left DCI long before I was a fan (other than I know that they scored really high one year in percussion yet very low as a corps).

Anyway, I didn't want to post this in the other thread as to not steal the thunder there.

1. To understand the other post correctly, 27th new at finals week in 1986 that they would no longer be fielding a corps? Isn't this incredibly unusual, at least by today's standards?

2. Was it just financial? Can somebody enlighten me on the reasons why they went under?

3. Also really weird to me is that it was still a competitive corps when they folded. Most, or at least a lot of, corps that fold may be competitive, then start drifting off in competitiveness, then start losing membership, perhaps drop down a level in competition, then fold. I guess it's more of an observation than a question. I suppose Magic was in a similar situation a few years back, but they were removed from a top 4 finish just a handful of years earlier.

4. Slightly unrelated, but I see from corpsreps that they played almost the exact same show in 1979 and 1980. Did the members play the exact same music from one year to the next, or were the arrangements fresh? How did members feel about having to play the same music for two straight years?

No no. Most corps, competitive included, die because of financial reasons.

Freelancers were competative as well, as most Western corps were at one point. It's all about the money.

In Oregon and (possibly) Washington, a law was passed that called Bingo Halls "Gambling establishments" which then were subject to excessive taxation (instead of non-profits). That killed a LOT of corps over here.

Believe it or not, SMOKING bans also had a big hit in decreasing finances, as what bingo halls that were still open now had to be non-smoking. Been to many halls that have that rule? The donating clientele were rather nonplussed at this law and stopped coming to the games.

As of this year, I'm more worried about the price of gasoline (diesel included) killing the ability to travel to shows. I wonder if corps know they can make their own diesel for about 50cents a gallon, by hauling away their towns restaurant grease and converting it to biodiesel.

But then, you'd have to have a refueling truck.

As for your final question, I've seen more than a few corps repeat shows with changes to design (both musical and field). It's kind of fun to watch the changes and notice the improvements.

Edited by apoch003

I figured I should give out the "how to make biodiesel" recipe and maybe I can get into the hall of fame as the man who saved drum corps!!!!

Or just maybe I don't want to see more corps fold, you decide.

http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make.html#start

So, I know very little about the 27th organization as they left DCI long before I was a fan (other than I know that they scored really high one year in percussion yet very low as a corps).

Anyway, I didn't want to post this in the other thread as to not steal the thunder there.

1. To understand the other post correctly, 27th new at finals week in 1986 that they would no longer be fielding a corps? Isn't this incredibly unusual, at least by today's standards?

2. Was it just financial? Can somebody enlighten me on the reasons why they went under?

3. Also really weird to me is that it was still a competitive corps when they folded. Most, or at least a lot of, corps that fold may be competitive, then start drifting off in competitiveness, then start losing membership, perhaps drop down a level in competition, then fold. I guess it's more of an observation than a question. I suppose Magic was in a similar situation a few years back, but they were removed from a top 4 finish just a handful of years earlier.

4. Slightly unrelated, but I see from corpsreps that they played almost the exact same show in 1979 and 1980. Did the members play the exact same music from one year to the next, or were the arrangements fresh? How did members feel about having to play the same music for two straight years?

Time for you to read up on 2-7!

http://www.27thlancers.net/history.htm

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums//ind...&hl=lancers

Part of the financial issue was that back then if you didn't make the top 12, you didn't get show money the next year. (someone please correct me if I'm wrong on that) Now its structured so that corps outside of the top 12 also get funds for each show from DCI, just at a lesser amount than the top corps.

27th always had a commitment to its members that those people who chose to march in 27th and were accepted as members should bear as little financial responsibility as possible. Like most corps 2-7 relied on their Bingo income and "personal appearances" (parades, openings, etc.), as well as "prize money" from DCI to run their operation. Members had little financial obligation other than the bare necessities - a small (I think around $100 back in the mid-70's) tour fee, purchase your own shoes, boots, gloves, etc., and locals were asked to volunteer as bingo helpers when the rehearsal schedule allowed it.

Throughout the years, particularly in the early years, there were specific fund raising commitments (the corps actually sold fresh eggs door to door!!), but George and Patsy preferred that the members concentrate on their performance, and not on holding a can at the local traffic circle.

That being said, when I joined in winter of 1975, the buses were old. They were (I'm pretty sure) 1957 GMC coaches. Forget the missing a/c, lack of bathrooms, and other creature comforts, these buses ran only through the blood, sweat and tears of the management staff and the drivers (and I'm not using bs&t as a cliche; I witnessed all three.) We spent many a tour night crowded onto two buses while the third was repaired. No, we were no different than many other corps in that respect, and that isn't my point.

It reached the stage in 1986, where, as legend has it, a member approached George B. and said she was afraid to get on the bus for the next segment of the trip because she was afraid of what might happen. Others may embellish this, or give their own version of the story, but this is the story as it was told to me. George took this to heart. (And if you know George, his kids - all of us - were always the number one concern). He announced that until the organization could put newer, safer, vehicles on the road, the corps would be inactive, as the safety of all members of the organization were first and foremost.

As far as I know, there was no talk of disbanding the corps before their performance at DCI prelims. I wasn't there, but I've never heard that.

Repeating 2/3 of the 1979 show in 1980 was one of the best things the corps ever did. They improved on a great product and used enough freshness to make it seem like a whole new show - and they nearly won the whole shebang!!!

Edited by A27Lancer
  • Like 1

Nice post, Jimmy!

Thanks Apoch! I'm sure Lancerlegend, Lancerlady, Lancerfi and many others can add to the truth. People who understand the drum corps family can understand the heartbreak that went along with the decision to not field a corps in 1987. Nobody will know the heartbreak the Bonfiglios must have felt when reaching that decision. That made 1994 all the more special.

A part of me will be on the field every time the Bridgemen and Anaheim Kingsmen perform, as their organizations suffered a similar demise.

p.s. I think the decision to allow non-alumni into the 1994 corps was a brave and right decision. It gave people who never got the chance to march with 27th their opportunity to show they have what it takes. The break-up of ANY corps does not just effect that organization, it saddens the entire drum corps community. These alumni corps popping up are an opportunity for ALL of drum corps to (as Steve Rondinaro put it) "recapture a little bit of their lost youth" .

Best of luck to all alumni corps, especially Bridgemen, Anaheim and (make them throw babies, please) Madison!! :beer::tic::tic:

The corps members in 1986 certainly knew what a dire financial situtation the Lancer organization was in all summer long. The buses were unreliable and dangerous, and caused delays in nearly every trip - eating into valuable rehearsal, sleep and warm-up time. On top of that, the horns were ancient and the uniforms were rag-tag. None of that is meant to belittle in any way the heroic dedication of George B., his family and staff. They dedicated more than can be believed to keep the corps afloat for that last summer.

While rumors that the corps would fold began almost as soon as the 13th place finish was announced, the members were officially told by George on Friday night that the corps would become inactive until a time (if any) that safe buses, working equipment and financial stability could be secured. It was a long, sad night in Janesville. . .

During the day, members and staff prepared the huge "Goodbye" sign and somberly headed into Madison to watch Finals competition. Perhaps it is the only case of a corps folding at Championships. Unusual and sad.

Everytime I return to Camp Randall Stadium, I think I catch a glimpse of the Lancers' message - waving in a gossamer scrim along the back sidelines. . .

WE GAVE IT OUR ALL. WE HAVE NOTHING LEFT TO GIVE. GOODBYE TWO-SEVEN

Edited by Xmen89

Everytime I return to Camp Randall Stadium, I think I catch a glimpse of the Lancers' message - waving in a gossamer scrim along the back sidelines. . .

WE GAVE IT OUR ALL. WE HAVE NOTHING LEFT TO GIVE. GOODBYE TWO-SEVEN

A tear just came out of my eye...

Xmen - you are a true gem! ^OO^