27th question

I go by Mae Zingali's house almost every night on my way to rehearsal. It's up for sale. Mae is living in Las Vegas now with her nephew. I spent a lot of time at that house. I was there constantly when George wrote the '79 drill. He had toys all over the table - a Spirograph, bits and pieces of wire and cable to twist and turn. I remember the day he came up with the rotation for "Folk Song Suite". He plotted the dots and said with his eyes bulging, "We'll rotate the whole F******* thing!!!!!!". And he did. And oh my!

Nancy, I remember your dad with much fondness. He wasn't around as much when I was in 27, but my memories of him are still clear. The whole crew from the Reveries, those that went to 27th, and those that went to North Star were some of the greatest people I ever met. Young people marching today must find it inconceivable that people from the same neighborhood (there must have been hundred's of us through the years that grew up in Revere) could put together a national powerhouse! And Revere contributed to two powerhouses - North Star AND 27th.

There have been other urban areas that supported two national contenders. However, keep in mind that although it's a suburb of Boston, Revere has a population of about 40,000. I don't mean to take anything away to those people who came from the surrounding towns and those who travelled great distances to march with us. I just feel a very special fondness for the "Homies" I marched with. The Nancy Scopa, Mike Doherty, Tommy Upton, Steve Solombrino, Marie Ferrante, etc. etc. etc. people that I knew as little kids that I shared the field with over the years (a bit teary eyed right now). Hope I can make it to the reunion....

When I listen to 86, it always brings a tear. 27th is such a fond memory, and you would not believe how many people here in Japan know of them. It's quite a pleasure to hear people's reactions when I say I marched there. Pretty neat.

Someone mentioned George B's hand gestures. He had one he used for "Sermons on the Mount" which was an index finger pointed at you, but twisting as it came thrusting toward you. Others may remember!

When I listen to 86, it always brings a tear. 27th is such a fond memory, and you would not believe how many people here in Japan know of them. It's quite a pleasure to hear people's reactions when I say I marched there. Pretty neat.

Someone mentioned George B's hand gestures. He had one he used for "Sermons on the Mount" which was an index finger pointed at you, but twisting as it came thrusting toward you. Others may remember!

I remember it well. LOL means "laugh out loud" and is overused. I really did "LOL" when I read your post.

I remember it well. LOL means "laugh out loud" and is overused. I really did "LOL" when I read your post.

I remember all too well. I was on the receiving end of those hand gestures when I was late getting back to the bus after a show.

Just a FYI, Shelly Irvine played tenors while Ron Kerns was in the front line. They both went to of University of Akron. They started Panyard in Akron Ohio, not California.

Corey Smith, Bari 84, 85, 86 here, hit me up sometime. On the road with the Scouts.

--

Corey Smith

Tour Director

Madison Scouts Drum & Bugle Corps

director@madisonscouts.org

office. 608.237.8775 x 20

cell. 901.351.7561

4606 Pflaum Road

Madison WI 53718

fax. 608.244.1541

madisonscouts.org

I remember all too well. I was on the receiving end of those hand gestures when I was late getting back to the bus after a show.

Hey Chris, "Where's my dang burgandy suitcase"? :P

Hopefully on the bus......somewhere !!! :sleeping:

Try to imagine that line being said with a thick southern drawl. Now, try to imagine it being said over and over and over again. It took me 20 years to get that line out of my head. Now it's there again. Thanks Steph. :worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

I go by Mae Zingali's house almost every night on my way to rehearsal. It's up for sale. Mae is living in Las Vegas now with her nephew. I spent a lot of time at that house. I was there constantly when George wrote the '79 drill. He had toys all over the table - a Spirograph, bits and pieces of wire and cable to twist and turn. I remember the day he came up with the rotation for "Folk Song Suite". He plotted the dots and said with his eyes bulging, "We'll rotate the whole F******* thing!!!!!!". And he did. And oh my!

Nancy, I remember your dad with much fondness. He wasn't around as much when I was in 27, but my memories of him are still clear. The whole crew from the Reveries, those that went to 27th, and those that went to North Star were some of the greatest people I ever met. Young people marching today must find it inconceivable that people from the same neighborhood (there must have been hundred's of us through the years that grew up in Revere) could put together a national powerhouse! And Revere contributed to two powerhouses - North Star AND 27th.

There have been other urban areas that supported two national contenders. However, keep in mind that although it's a suburb of Boston, Revere has a population of about 40,000. I don't mean to take anything away to those people who came from the surrounding towns and those who travelled great distances to march with us. I just feel a very special fondness for the "Homies" I marched with. The Nancy Scopa, Mike Doherty, Tommy Upton, Steve Solombrino, Marie Ferrante, etc. etc. etc. people that I knew as little kids that I shared the field with over the years (a bit teary eyed right now). Hope I can make it to the reunion....

Jim, thank you so much for remembering my Dad with kindness. He went full out from maybe 1963 to about 1969 or 70. During the early 60s he was the manager and I remember a get together where he gave the reigns to George and the rest is history.

He thought it was a great idea that I join the Reveries as it was the original feeder corps and where my sisters had begun and that's where I met lifelong friends, some went to 2-7 and some to North Star. In 72 or 73 I was going to march in 2-7 but Pa Scopa didn't love the idea because of my age but as you know by 1974 the guard had 11 and 12 year olds although you never could tell.

I too am teary eyed thinking about the friendships we made so long ago - we didn't know it then but they would be everlasting. I too think of the years we marched as more of a homie crowd. The guard was mostly a Revere crowd during our era as well.

I'm so happy that you're here on DCP to share your memories and stories. I truly look forward to your posts! :worthy:

Your parents were such wonderful, kind people and I will always remember them. :sleeping:

Try to imagine that line being said with a thick southern drawl. Now, try to imagine it being said over and over and over again. It took me 20 years to get that line out of my head. Now it's there again. Thanks Steph. :sleeping::worthy::worthy::worthy:

No problem, GLAD I COULD HELP!!!! b**bs I hope it haunts Y'ALL the rest of your lives. :P I made it through y'alls initiations though. I should get a medal just for what I survived! b**bs