My 8+ hours with BD yesterday

First some background. I never marched corps, but was a music ed major, and have followed the activity since '86.

I took a 1/2 hr. drive to Beloit yesterday to watch BD practice. I haven't had a chance to watch them rehearse since '91 so I was pretty excited.

I watched to drumline warm up while the horn line marched basics. There were camera men all over the place making a high def dvd.

This is the best line since '90 in my opinion. I'm not a big fan of the sound of the dynasty snares. They sound better when all eight play, than when individuals play.

Then the whole corp did drill no music. There was no stadium seating, so I couldn't really see what was going on, so I went to see Talladega Nights while drill and lunch was going on. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time - good movie.

I returned as sectionals were starting. Being a trumpet player - that's where I went, and watched Wayne Downey run the sectional. 24 trumpets. Wayne can run a sectional. Very postive and encouraging. They get such a big sound. I watched that for 1 hr.

Then I walked over to the stadium where the battery and pit were on the field. The horn line soon joined and another 1 1/2 hrs or so. This is by far the most relaxed rehearsal I've ever been to. Lots of encouagement, no yelling or screaming at all.

After supper it was full corp - everyone playing - no metronome until 9:30. I know people say that BD's visual doesn't compare to Cavies, but I thought it was great. There is so much going on, and the kids make it look effortless.There is a lot of running going on while playing. There was a point where an instructor asked one of the upper lead trumpets what note he was playing. He said f# - and the instructor said "if you're going to play it - play it. Don't squeeze or pinch." Comments were made about phasing, and intonation. The temp dropped from around 80 to 65 in about an hour, so maybe that contributed to the intonation problems. I didn't notice the phasing. Mainly tempos were being worked on.

The new ending is great. There is a 12 bar drum break, then the new music. I don't know when this was added, but is different than the San Antonio apd.

My only disappointment is that they changed the opening solo statement from The Godfather from a trumpet to baritone solo. I don't get it. The movie was a trumpet, and it sounded great to me on the San Antonio apd. Oh well. I can live with it.

Overall I was extremely impressed with BD. My favorite show since 2000. The whole corp is very very talented, and bring a lot of energy to the field. They might not have the screamers or solos people are accustomed to, but they've got the whole package, and are a class orginization. I had a great time, and hope they win DCI.

The new ending is great. There is a 12 bar drum break, then the new music. I don't know when this was added, but is different than the San Antonio apd.

My only disappointment is that they changed the opening solo statement from The Godfather from a trumpet to baritone solo. I don't get it. The movie was a trumpet, and it sounded great to me on the San Antonio apd. Oh well. I can live with it.

Is this the same ending they did in Atlanta? If so, it's better than before, but it still needs some oomph.

Maybe they changed the opening trumpet solo because that guy kept fracking... it was TERRIBLE in Louisville, and I heard he fracked at other shows, too. I dunno...

I have to agree... it's the best production they've had since 2000. This makes 2003 look like 1993, seriously.

Good luck to BD!

Sounds very similiar to their practice in Allentown. Lots of positve instruction and no yelling or screaming.

No yelling or screaming seems uncommon to you guys?? :beer:

I haven't been to a drum corps rehearsal this entire decade that contained any yelling or screaming. Who still yells and screams at the kids?