SUM doing DCA minicorps?

Yes, they are.

Fran

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That pic cracks me up. I forgot all about us throwing that pose in there with Donnie and the mysterious Mello Chest!!

Just bring back the killer mellophone line from 1991, and I will be VERY HAPPY!!!

:)

Word! :) :grouphug:

Stop me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't it make more sense for them to keep doing what they're doing, and DCI and Blast! throw fans each others' way? Does DCI have some kind of partnership with Blast! in some way?

If not SOI, why not start up a new junior corps with the alum being the backbone of it (director/staff/fund raising/etc.). I don't know if lightning can strike twice and suddenly have a D1 corps, but at least by '08 there could be competitive D2 or D3 corps.

The most reasonable idea yet out the the bi-monty versions of the undead "bring Star back" threads on DCP. Star alums get permission to use the name Star of Indiana. They then start a DIV 2/3 corps the good old fashioned way. Look to Arizona Academy for a role model. They field a corps in 2008 and see where it goes. Heck, 2007 could be fact finding, raising money, jamming etc. 2008 you could tour locally and still make it to finals, perfect scenario from a budget stand point.

As far as Bill Cook throwing a few million at the idea of a full fledged run at DIV 1 past glory, forget about it. Please.

This thread is supposed to be about 08' and beyond hence it is anything but historical.

As to the discussion of the need for a Div1 drum corps in Indiana, absolutely. When you look at all those great band programs, IU School of Music, and the interest in the drum corps activity you have to wonder why nobody has seriously tried.

I think it is fair to say there are members of the Star family who would like to start some sort of drum corps someday. We have so many alums still involved in the activity. It is a constant point of discussion. But it more then likely would not be SOI. That animal has passed on into the historic threads. But a Son of SOI sure would be good for the activity.

As to the previous comment about Mr. Cook believing that DCI would dissappear or somthing, you could not be further from reality. Mr. Cook firmly believed in DCI even after Star left the field. He continued to help in many ways after 93'. In fact he believed that the Brass Theater years would help bring attention and appreciation for the activity as a whole.

SUM doing DCA minicorps?

Yes. We are dipping our toes in to see what it is all about. It isn't 93', but we will not embarass ourselves either. BTW We still looking for a trumpet.

Star-United-Crest200.jpg

Minionthecircle3.jpg

Edited by mchromik