The Cadets/The Cavaliers

I'm going to be a member of the Phantom Regiment.

I'm going to see a show with the Phantom Regiment.

I think "the" would work in front of PR....however, I hope they never go that route to make it an "official" part of their name.

I like how when you stream a Legacy audio show clip from season pass, it'll say at the top: "2003 Phantom Regiment" or conversely, "1995 The Cavaliers." Gah! I think I would cry if I wound up streaming "1993 The Phantom Regiment."

Or worse yet: "2004 The Santa Clara Vanguard." Augh! Would that make it "The Vanguard Yell" too? :P

b**bs ---> "THE VANGUARD!!"

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:grouphug: So... :laugh: you march in a corps. A corps is an article. In fact, it's definitely an article. That makes it a 'definite article.' b**bs (Follow me here...) Now, this corps' name is THE. They are commonly known as "the THE."

Now...listen to the announcer.....(wait for it.....)

"ON THE FIELD...FROM ANYTOWN, USA....the 'theTHE' ! b**bs

:P

Johnny Marr had a band called The The.

I just listened to the beginning of the Cadets APD from SA...

Dan Potter: "The Cadets may take the field for competition"

Just get rid of the 2nd-person pronoun "you"...then it's fine

I've noticed Brandt Crocker has never used the definite article when announcing that Phantom's on the field or when announcing their score

"On the field...from Rockford/Loves Park, Illinois...performing their 2006 program, Faust...Drum Corps International is proud to present...Phantom Regiment" Only definite article you see is the one before "field"

I don't think it's wrong...just making an observation there

I have....depends on the show

Not that I'm calling you a liar or anything. In Rockford they were just from Rockford, Illinois. In Naperville they were from "nearby Rockford." I heart Mike Kaplan. Crowd still didn't give them any attention, what with the stands mostly filled with 15-year-old girls in green shirts.

I always use the word "The" in front of any corps name. I used to flunk English from time to time when I was a kid, but I believe it's correct. :)

Ok, I know this is a really dumb topic, but I'm going to post it anyway. Why are they called "The Cadets" and "The Cavaliers" instead of "Cadets" and "Cavaliers"? Why doesn't everyone else have the "The" infront of their name? I hear the announcers say, "The Cadets, you may take the field in competition" vs "Santa Clara Vanguard, you may take the field in competition." Why isn't it, "THE Santa Clara Vanguard, you may take the field in competition!"?

So, if someone marched The Cadets, do they say, "I marched in the The Cadets"? :P Of couse not, but would be more correct if "The" is part of their name.

Dumb, I know, but I am just curious!

Because there would be to many corps that start with the letter C. :P

Still waiting for an answer on "I marched Blue Devils."

I've heard it this way so much and for so long that it's never felt odd. Normally I'm the last person to bend to popular usage when it comes to grammar, but in this case there's really no fighting it. I mean, when people ask you where you marched, do you always say "I marched in the" or "for the"?