As if GE judging wasn't weird enough...

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

...Cavaliers win music GE and Regiment wins visual GE o.O

Don't think many people would argue those shoulda been switched.

It shows the arrogance in the DCI judges clique. They think if they tell us the Moon is the Sun and the Sun is the Moon, that we must accept it. No... let me take that back. They've shown they don't care what the fans or participants think. In their warped political minds everything is just as it should be.

Ok, a quick, impromptu proposal for judging:

Brass: 10 points

Percussion: 10 points

M&M: 10 points

Guard: 10 points

Ensemble Visual: 20 points

Ensemble Music: 20 points

Overall Effect: 20 points

Effect reduced to 20% of the total score? That's half what it is now. Whatever else may be wacky about judging, I do think that at least they have it right in one way: nearly half the score is dependent on GE. This makes sense to me, because ultimately, every show is out to create effect first and foremost. Reducing it to 1/5th the total score puts a bit too much emphasis on the technical aspects for my tastes.

I think the problem with the current system is that if you have a different one for each part, how do you judge parts of the show that are specifically designed to marry the two captions? For example, making music effects to accentuate the drill, or vice versa. That could lead to crappy music but really cool drill or really cool music but mediocre drill, even if the total effect is amazing. That's why maybe a caption for just overall effect is better, even if it is broken up to two judges.

I believe you're missing the point that "judges" either can't see or refuse to score what's already obvious to the rest of us. We don't need to change the scoring system, we just need intelligent and honest people using it.

They've shown they don't care what the fans or participants think. In their warped political minds everything is just as it should be.

They shouldn't care. They're judging. It isn't American Idol. They should call it the way THEY see it.

I believe you're missing the point that "judges" either can't see or refuse to score what's already obvious to the rest of us. We don't need to change the scoring system, we just need intelligent and honest people using it.

My point is simply that something that has high overall GE might not necessarily excel in one or even both of "music or visual" on its own. Hence, the thought that maybe you have two judges doing the same thing- Overall GE. As for missing what is obvious to everyone else... I'm the one who started this thread saying the final GE scores were idiotic.

My point is simply that something that has high overall GE might not necessarily excel in one or even both of "music or visual" on its own. Hence, the thought that maybe you have two judges doing the same thing- Overall GE. As for missing what is obvious to everyone else... I'm the one who started this thread saying the final GE scores were idiotic.

I understand. I just think the problem is the judges not getting their current and obvious assigned tasks right (Cavies=V. GE & PR = M. GE). It's the people not the system. The current set of judges would screw up any system if they can't figure that much out.

Ok, a quick, impromptu proposal for judging:

Brass: 10 points

Percussion: 10 points

M&M: 10 points

Guard: 10 points

Ensemble Visual: 20 points

Ensemble Music: 20 points

Overall Effect: 20 points

How about:

Pressbox) Overall Effect: 40 (3 judges averaged)

Pressbox) Ens. Visual: 30

Pressbox) Ens. Music: 30

Pressbox) Colorguard: 30

These three then averaged for a max 30 point score

Field) Brass: 30

Field) Visual: 30

Field) Percussion:30

These three then averaged for a max 30 point score

This system allows for GE to still be the main focus (which in my opinion it should be)

Also forces the individual sections of a corps to live or die together

By averaging the ensemble scores into a total and averaging the field scores into a total the corps which scores highest across all captions and not just runs away in one should come out on top.

What do you think?