Tonight, Everybody Won!

Hey, I disagreed and made my own general comment, and I'm not the one " taking it way too far ". If I did, I'd be engaging in profanity with the guy which I didn't. The guy didn't acknowlege that there could be a couple of definitions of " who won ". Why then should some of us here be compelled to accept only his definition of the phrase " you all won " ? I'll accept that there can be disagreement on this definition, and then get off the thread as it's already gone on more than it should have, and people are getting personal and testy on basically something that's no big deal.

You may have differing opinions, but you were hasty in presenting a viewpoint to a subject which was a had a clear figurative statement. By saying that no one but one was a winner, you shredded the happiness that was evident in every corps' pride of marching this year. Sure there are titles and trophies to win, but do you think all these kids marched relentless hours for a title they knew was easily out of their grasp? Many corps could've laid down their horns and flags, and said "We're not going to place first this year, let's not compete." But they did not. These kids have taken pride and joy in their shows. Don't be quick to ruin what all the corps had left.

Edited by Backstrom

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't need to come here to be compelled to do anything. But really, there are times when opinions, no matter how true or legit, are best kept to oneself.

"If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all."

I'm sure everyone's heard that before! And it doesn't always apply. But it does here.

It is all about respect. Thank you PhantomFanT10 for your thoughts, I agree.

You may have differing opinions, but you were hasty in presenting a viewpoint to a subject which was a had a clear figurative statement. By saying that no one but one was a winner, you shredded the happiness that was evident in every corps' pride of marching this year. Sure there are titles and trophies to win, but do you think all these kids marched relentless hours for a title they knew was easily out of their grasp? Many corps could've laid down their horns and flags, and said "We're not going to place first this year, let's not compete." But they did not. These kids have taken pride and joy in their shows. Don't be quick to ruin what all the corps had left.

Good lord.

Do you really believe that someone on message board pointing out (correctly) that in fact, not every corps won tonight, "shreds the happiness" of marching members? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. I'm sure that every corps member is proud and happy to have marched this summer, even if they may feel disappointment at not having won (or finished a slot or two higher than they did).

Do you think that if you told a current member of Blue Devils: "Don't feel bad - you're all winners in my book," he or she would feel any better? Or any worse if someone jumped in and said "well, technically, no, you did not win tonight"?

Why even have competitions at all? Why not just have exhibitions where all corps can be declared equally wonderful?

this has been the best year for DCI, imo.

it just beat out my previous favorites, 2002 and 1999.

~>conner

I remember being young.....so many decades to choose from!

b**bs

Good lord.

Do you really believe that someone on message board pointing out (correctly) that in fact, not every corps won tonight, "shreds the happiness" of marching members? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. I'm sure that every corps member is proud and happy to have marched this summer, even if they may feel disappointment at not having won (or finished a slot or two higher than they did).

Do you think that if you told a current member of Blue Devils: "Don't feel bad - you're all winners in my book," he or she would feel any better? Or any worse if someone jumped in and said "well, technically, no, you did not win tonight"?

Why even have competitions at all? Why not just have exhibitions where all corps can be declared equally wonderful?

This isn't even about who won or not. Take a good look, this thread ultimately exists to serve the purpose of telling evey corps member what a good job they did this season. I'm not sure about you but where I come from, competing isn't all about winning.

Edited by Backstrom

You know, the intention of the thread was for those of us who have marched drum corps to express how proud we are of the "class of 2006". It wasn't about placement, or who the "Championship" winners were. Anyone with half a brain could have figured that out.

And my apologies for calling you out, but just as you get annoyed by the "champions try and make you feel good PC comments", I get annoyed by people who aren't intelligent enough to decern the true meaning behind what is being said. You took a perfectly legit post and f'd it up.

I don't know why I try here sometimes.

You know what, that's not a bad idea at all! These kids bust there butts all year long, and only a handful of them have any shot at winning. Like a previous poster said, why not just send the other kids home for the summer since its clear that none of them have a legit shot at winning? I mean, based on your logic, that is the PC thing to do, right?

Its obvious that you don't get it. The competition aspect is just the gimmick. The real joy is being entertained by these young people and watching them progress throughout the season. The real joy of drum corps is getting hyped about a show, getting goose bumps by clean beats, great drill moves, wonderful brass, awesome guard work, and shows that knock you off of your feet.

If you that don't know what drum corps truely is, go back and take a look at what the Madison Alumni did last night. Look at the raw emotion, the tradition, the tears in people's eyes as they heard music from years past. Its about passion, performing, and creating a bond with people who six months earlier were complete strangers.

If you don't get that, than I can't help you... no one can.

If you think the only thing that matters in drum corps is winning championships, than you just don't get drum corps.

Edited by Newseditor44

You know what, that's not a bad idea at all! These kids bust there butts all year long, and only a handful of them have any shot at winning. Like a previous poster said, why not just send the other kids home for the summer since its clear that none of them have a legit shot at winning? I mean, based on your logic, that is the PC thing to do, right?

Its obvious that you don't get it. The competition aspect is just the gimmick. The real joy is being entertained by these young people and watching them progress throughout the season. The real joy of drum corps is getting hyped about a show, getting goose bumps by clean beats, great drill moves, wonderful brass, awesome guard work, and shows that knock you off of your feet.

If you that don't know what drum corps truely is, go back and take a look at what the Madison Alumni did last night. Look at the raw emotion, the tradition, the tears in people's eyes as they heard music from years past. Its about passion, performing, and creating a bond with people who six months earlier were complete strangers.

If you don't get that, than I can't help you... no one can.

If you think the only thing that matters in drum corps is winning championships, than you just don't get drum corps.

Well said, Thank You for true sportmanship in Drum Corps.