Tonight, Everybody Won!

Hey all,

I agree with both sides of this discussion. Yes there is only 1 corps with the highest score, and yes everyone who marched is a winner. At the same time, would you prefer that DCI goes the "ultra feel good" BOA route? Not give ANY scores, and just say who the highest scoring corps was and that everyone is a winner and just super for coming?

I really don't like that. This is a competitive event, and there is going to be a 'winner' or 'highest score'. Drum Corps members can handle it.

And yes, I really do believe that everyone who competes is a winner too.

Let's not go "PC crazy" about it though...

Edited by jjeffeory

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

this has been the best year for DCI, imo.

it just beat out my previous favorites, 2002 and 1999.

~>conner

ok, enough of the arguing! they are all winners because of what they have put themselves through this season, whether they have a gold medal to show for it or not.

i just want to add my sincerest thank you to all members of all the corps in all divisions this year. it was surely a year that will remain in my mind for a long long time. congrats to the cavies on number 7 and special congrats to phantom on such a terrific year.

already can't wait for 2007 and pasadena baby!

Hey all,

I agree with both sides of this discussion. Yes there is only 1 corps with the highest score, and yes everyone who marched is a winner. At the same time, would you prefer that DCI goes the "ultra feel good" BOA route? Not give ANY scores, and just say who the highest scoring corps was and that everyone is a winner and just super for coming?

I really don't like that. This is a competitive event, and there is going to be a 'winner' or 'highest score'. Drum Corps members can handle it.

And yes, I really do believe that everyone who competes is a winner too.

Let's not go "PC crazy" about it though...

Well said. This crap they seem to teach in schools these days." Everybody is a winner ".... and" Everybody is alike who tries hard "..... and blah blah..... Like heck. I don't want to dimish THE EFFORTS of all these kids. What they do is incredible and they should be very proud of themselves for what they did this summer. But the post thread blares out that " YOU ARE ALL WINNERS ". Well, when these kids hit the real world with careers and so forth, they'll find out that not everyone who worked their butt off becomes " a winner ". There were 3 "winners " this year. Not every Corps " won ". That fact was established in healthy competition that in of itself should be instructive and rewarding for all it's participants.

Edited by X DM

Well said. This crap they seem to teach in schools these days." Everybody is a winner ".... and" Everybody is alike who tries hard "..... and blah blah..... Like heck. I don't want to dimish THE EFFORTS of all these kids. What they do is incredible and they should be very proud of themselves for what they did this summer. But the post thread blares out that " YOU ARE ALL WINNERS ". Well, when these kids hit the real world with careers and so forth, they'll find out that not everyone who worked their butt off becomes " a winner ".

They are all winners in my book and Dude you are just taking this way to far, we all know what DC is about. The person is makeing a General Comment to everyone.

Edited by bobk9258

Well said. This crap they seem to teach in schools these days." Everybody is a winner ".... and" Everybody is alike who tries hard "..... and blah blah..... Like heck. I don't want to dimish THE EFFORTS of all these kids. What they do is incredible and they should be very proud of themselves for what they did this summer. But the post thread blares out that " YOU ALL Won ". Well, when these kids hit the real world with careers and so forth, they'll find out that not everyone who worked their butt off " won " . There were 3 Corps that " won " this year. Not every Corps " won ". That fact was established in healthy competition that in of itself should be instructive for the future and personally rewarding for all it's participants.

Dude, X DM, did you not get hugged enough when you were a child? Lighten up! I thought the OP's intent was pretty clear, and you had to go and ruin it with such bitterness and spite. Of course there is only one winner! Tell me one person on this forum who does not know this!

They are all winners in my book and Dude you are just taking this way to far, we all know what DC is about. The person is makeing a General Comment to everyone.

Hey, I disagreed and made my own general comment, and I'm not the one " taking it way too far ". If I did, I'd be engaging in profanity with the guy which I didn't. The guy didn't acknowlege that there could be a couple of definitions of " who won ". Why then should some of us here be compelled to accept only his definition of the phrase " you all won " ? I'll accept that there can be disagreement on this definition, and then get off the thread as it's already gone on more than it should have, and people are getting personal and testy on basically something that's no big deal.

Edited by X DM

Don't try and pull that "engage in profanity" nonsense...He didn't need to acknowledge the literal definitions of "who won" because only a completely ignorant person would miss the point.

You don't need to come here to be compelled to do anything. But really, there are times when opinions, no matter how true or legit, are best kept to oneself.

"If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all."

I'm sure everyone's heard that before! And it doesn't always apply. But it does here.

Go away...