low scores:

Personally, I'm sort of bummed that corps scored so low... I was hoping (and thinking) the top 3 shows would be scored very high, and the top 8-9 corps would break 90. I don't think it could have been the talent of the corps, because this year was simpy amazing. Was it the panel of judges that kept the scores so low?

~>conner

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I'm sort of bummed that corps scored so low... I was hoping (and thinking) the top 3 shows would be scored very high, and the top 8-9 corps would break 90. I don't think it could have been the talent of the corps, because this year was simpy amazing. Was it the panel of judges that kept the scores so low?

~>conner

I don't think it matters....

Frankly, I think that scores have been way inflated for a while now. 99s? High 98s? Heck, those things have been given out like they're candy...it cheapens the value of receiving those scores.

Back in the late 1980s, after both Cadets and Devils scored 98.4s (the record at the time), the champions got a 97.9 and a 97.1, before we got SCV's 98.8, which was mostly a product of the second-year GE-laden system. In 1990, the champion score was in the high 97s, in 1991 it was 97.0 flat (even though Star's show was freaking great), in 1992 it was 97.5, in 1993 it was 97.4....all of these were reasonable championship show scores.

With the exception of 1996, scores have been super-inflated since then. Every champion (except for 1996) scored in the 98s (including a string of 98.4s)

Frankly, I think it cheapens the achievement of getting into the 98s. And not every show I've seen since 1995 deserves those 98.X scores.

I think the judges read all the comments about scoring from Friday (10????) :P

I don't think it matters....

Frankly, I think that scores have been way inflated for a while now. 99s? High 98s? Heck, those things have been given out like they're candy...it cheapens the value of receiving those scores.

Back in the late 1980s, after both Cadets and Devils scored 98.4s (the record at the time), the champions got a 97.9 and a 97.1, before we got SCV's 98.8, which was mostly a product of the second-year GE-laden system. In 1990, the champion score was in the high 97s, in 1991 it was 97.0 flat (even though Star's show was freaking great), in 1992 it was 97.5, in 1993 it was 97.4....all of these were reasonable championship show scores.

With the exception of 1996, scores have been super-inflated since then. Every champion (except for 1996) scored in the 98s (including a string of 98.4s)

Frankly, I think it cheapens the achievement of getting into the 98s. And not every show I've seen since 1995 deserves those 98.X scores.

The Cavaliers and Cadets tie in 2000 was a 97.65

The Cavaliers and Cadets tie in 2000 was a 97.65

Thanks...fromthepressbox.com didn't have it, they had 2001's scores instead.

So basically, since 1994, only two years have had champions who did not hit a 98 or higher.

In fact, how many corps have scored a 98.X and NOT won a title?

BD in 2004 (98.525).

PR in 1989 (98.4).

In my opinion, scores have been too high the last several years. Last night was more in line with there I think most championship shows should finish. Reserve the highest scores for the truly outstanding shows that deserve them.

Regardless of what the scores are, I don't see how a random number should really matter. It definitely doesn't affect my enjoyment of finals if the champion scores in the 97's instead of a 98 or 99. They're all relative for that year. I was fortunate enough to march Phantom Regiment the only year they won, but our score was a full point below their '89 score that got them second place. I don't remember a single person on that field in Orlando lamenting our final score only being a 97.4. :P

I agree with the previous posts. If a judge gives out a 10, that means, in his opinion, there is absolutely nothing that that corps can do to improve on that caption. Is that even possible to achieve in live performance?

Lower scores are more realistic to me.

I agree with the previous posts. If a judge gives out a 10, that means, in his opinion, there is absolutely nothing that that corps can do to improve on that caption. Is that even possible to achieve in live performance?

Lower scores are more realistic to me.

no, it means that they were superior to every other corps there, absolutely.

not that they were perfect.

~>conner