Performance Chant

Wow - what a weekend. I had the devil of a time getting to Nats - had to spend the night on the floor in LaGuardia airport due to cancellations on Thursday and got to the Saturday afternoon show at intermission.

Still, at the end of the show, saying "goodbye" I was surprised to hear the announcer mention that AA and ! would be in "in exhibition...ahhh...would be appearing" in retreat at the Div. I finals show.

It used to be ("back in the day") that the Div. II/III champions (or the equivalents) did their show as part of the pre-show before the Div. I finals - I can't see how it would be any skin off anyone's tush to let the kids do their show for the folks who chose to arrive early, along with the Marines (always a treat in my book).

I guess I must have been really stupid tired because what I should have done was started a chant...

"perform tonight! perform tonight! perform tonight! perform tonight! "

I almost yelled out "how many people think the Div. II/III champs should perform tonight - let's let 'em know!" - but I wasn't really thinking until after most of the folks had left.

So, if it doesn't happen next year in Pasadena (will Div. II/III be in the Rose Bowl, do you think?) let's plan on doing something to let them know (besides writing letters and other means of support).

C'mon, what can it hurt?

regards - Jim

My understanding is that II/III will be at Pasadena Community College. I think only finals will be at the Rose Bowl on Saturday.

There is also a rumor that II/III will be in an alternate location for 10 years starting in 2008. No word if finals will be in the new Indy Oil Dome at this point.

DCI is fortunate to have this current crop of corps in II/III. I think top to bottom, this was the best and most quality year for II/III.

Way to go to every II/III corps.

Tom Brace

I was also quite disappointed that Academy and Impulse did not get to perform Saturday night. I'm almost sure that in 2002 the D2/3 champions got to perform in exhibition as part of the Saturday night pre-show. The Marines were good, but honestly, I'd have paid extra to get to see the Academy one more time. With a 43-minute preshow, I was sure we'd get the D2/3 champions...oh well. Nothing to do now but wait for the DVDs.

Is DCI trying to shoot itself in the ****? The Division II, and Division III corps are a large part of this activity (maybe 1/2 or more). Why does the controlling committee act as if it has three bodies, but one heart/brain - dedicated to Division I? The full Division I schedule precludes many high schoolers from participating, the 'weekend corps' allow high schoolers to participate and grow as active members (some even become Division I 'firsts', their first year in Division I (trumpet, mellophone, snare, bass, tympani, etc. players), they would not have gotten there without their experience in Divisions II/III.

If DCI wants to segregate the smaller(younger) corps from its competitions, then maybe it should look to its own past - and remember!! History often repeats itself - too many of us forget the past, in favor of the future, and find ourselves re-living the past!!

Our activity will keep going, if DCI forgets us now, we will be there when they need us to fix their mistake(again)! Should we bail them out? Or should we keep going as a separate entity? Open class don't like us; check out the new rules for advancement.

**** could mean head or foot; which one is right

Is DCI trying to shoot itself in the ****? The Division II, and Division III corps are a large part of this activity (maybe 1/2 or more). Why does the controlling committee act as if it has three bodies, but one heart/brain - dedicated to Division I? The full Division I schedule precludes many high schoolers from participating, the 'weekend corps' allow high schoolers to participate and grow as active members (some even become Division I 'firsts', their first year in Division I (trumpet, mellophone, snare, bass, tympani, etc. players), they would not have gotten there without their experience in Divisions II/III.

Hey ....Pssssst....guess what? The DCI Bd of Directors DO NOT CARE about the Div II/III corps and the Div II/III activity.

PSSSST... guess what? I also heard the DI B.O.D also wear black hooded robes at all their meetings, and eat their own young!! :feednotroll:

Of course they care about DII/III. :blink:

They just dont FOCUS on it.... They are busy trying to ensure the continuation of their own Corps, providing the members of their organizations with the best possible experience, and improving their portion of the activity.

Instead of trying to blame our insecurities about the future of Div II/III on the DI B.O.D, why dont we try doing something to HELP DII and III.

Give your time to a corps as a volunteer and work some bingos, DONATE some of your income to a corps, Help with your talents (if you are a driver, cook, prop builder, instrument repair(er) etc...)

Remember, if you want Div II/III to grow and thrive, we've got to get involved and support it, rather than moan and groan about how we think there is some evil force conspiring to bring our portion of the activity to a cruel end.

in 2003, Blue Stars and Esperanza just were on the field to participate in the finale....caused some spacing issues amongst the Div I corps but that's another topic.

I also heard (from a corps director) about Pasadena City College being the venue for the II/III events, but about a month later DCI.org says finals events for 2007 are all scheduled in the Rose Bowl so i guess we'll have to wait and find out.

It's definitely PCC...

PSSSST... guess what? I also heard the DI B.O.D also wear black hooded robes at all their meetings, and eat their own young!! :feednotroll:

Of course they care about DII/III. :lol:

They just dont FOCUS on it.... They are busy trying to ensure the continuation of their own Corps, providing the members of their organizations with the best possible experience, and improving their portion of the activity.

Dude... with all due respect, the poster you refer to here is most definitely NOT a troll.

Fran