Do you think that Cadets 2006 will one day be "accepted"?

Cadets 2006  

208 members have voted

1. 1. Will Cadets 2006 become "accepted" years from now like Star 1993 did?

• Yes
    • No

As much as I love Cadets for their innovation, I feel, as like I do with most of the drum corps activity, they have gotten away from the true essense of what a drum corps program is (IMO). I feel like I'm trying to watch a broadway show on the field. There's too much going on the field without any emphasis on any of it. I'm all for having themes and concepts, it's been that way for years. But I remember being able to put in a CD and knowing what corps it is and being able to hum or sing to the melody. Now, where is the melody? I can't find one thing that seperates most corps on the dvds let alone the cds other than the uniforms.

Back to the original question... I don't think the two comparisons are very similar. With 93 Star, it was the music that puzzled people. Sure the drill was strange but so was the music. The music that was played is what drove that show, the intensity, the drama. With the 06' Cadets, the drill and guard moved that show, not the music. I felt like i was listening to a film score and not a show written for drum and bugle. Maybe I'm an old cat, stuck in my ways of the corps from the late 80's through the mid 90's, who knows, this is just my opinion. To me, you're asking, "will people except this new way of putting a drum corps on the field?" My answer is: I don't know, but I'm slowly losing interest.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I vote no.

Someone said this earlier and I agree competely. One of the reasons people began to love that show was that there was never a Star '94 or Star '95. The pushed the envelope as far as they could and then didn't come back. There was never this desire to try and top themselves the following year(s) because they were done with DCI. I'm pretty sure in 10 years the Cadets will still be around in some shape or form unless something major happens and they will probably be pushing the envelope. And people will disagree with that in ten years just like they do now, whether justified or not (just to clarify this show was not well designed IMO, hence the placing).

If you feel the need to compare a Cadets show to Star '93, I think the 2005 is likely going to be the one that should draw those comparisions. I know the first time I saw it I hated it but I saw it again and started listening to it more and even enjoyed it a little, although I still fast forward during the Bjork/drumspeak parts. Over time I think people may begin to appreciate that show a little more.

Star '93 was accepted? I didn't get the memo.

I think '06 Cadets will go down with '91 Cadets as something they tried that didn't work out.

I don't think it will ever be accepted by a substantial amount of fans. If anything, it will just be remembered as the first show of its kind. But I do think that in another 5-10 years, newcomers to the activity won't understand what all the fuss was about.

I think it'll be remembered like 88 Suncoast and Spirit. Kinda like, "huh?"