Crowd favorites 1987-2006

Do you not call the opener of Cadets and standing O's as soon as it was finished? Its just my opinion!

97 Cadets are one of the best shows NOT to win. Fantastic show. But there was a whole different level of crowd response by the end. Madison's show was GEARED to set the crowd on their ears.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No disrespect to your years, Nikk, but I think the 06 corps had a better shot at the title. IIRC, PR was solid 3rd in both 91 and 93.

Um...look at 2004. "Attraction" is one of my favorite shows ever (yeah, yeah...I'm a young whippersnapper who wasn't out of elementary school when all the "real" classics were performed...heh heh) and they came in solid third. But still....wow!

Do I remember 2002 differently than everyone else? Am I the only one that remembers the crowd being LITTERED with Cavvies tattoos and this HUGE crowd reaction?

I was at Finals in 2002 and the Cavies box was the big event and show of the night, no question. The next was the long-haired guard girls from BD. The Fireman and pledge was over the top for most (but that's the Cadets recently).

Listen harder. Trust me, you can do it. You wouldn't want me giving up and saying "72-87 - who knows, they all sound the same" would you?

It all depends what era of corps you're from. Since the beginning of the mellinium, allot of the corps sound the same to me. I'm sure allot are different but after going to shows every year, I can't easily tell the difference. Give me the 80's and most of the 90's and I can probably name every show from the first piece by listening to them. Can't do that from 00' +

I was at Finals in 2002 and the Cavies box was the big event and show of the night, no question. The next was the long-haired guard girls from BD. The Fireman and pledge was over the top for most (but that's the Cadets recently).

Agree with first two sentences. From my vantage point that night in Madison, no one around us thought that the Cadets were "over the top" with that show. Also would argue that it doesn't even compare to today's Cadets far out show concepts, but I am also turning into an "old phart" as my current corps-mates would argue vehemently.

:blink:

Agree completely that 97 was Madison Scouts all the way. What a great year for drum corps overall. Awesome, awesome phantom, cadets, and BD.

doesn't hurt when the souvie people are giving out free tattoos =)

funny, In 02 I was around the 45 on the upper-deck, and the crowd was rolling their eyes at the Cadets...and most of the current members from other corps tended to agree. (though, I'd kill for Cadets 02 in comparison to 05 and 06).

To me, PR seemed to receive as warm a reception as anyone at the shows I was at in 01 and 02.

It all depends what era of corps you're from. Since the beginning of the mellinium, allot of the corps sound the same to me. I'm sure allot are different but after going to shows every year, I can't easily tell the difference. Give me the 80's and most of the 90's and I can probably name every show from the first piece by listening to them. Can't do that from 00' +

And see, there's two ways of saying this. You could be saying "it's all just the same recycled junk" or you could be saying "It's out of my era and I can't really tell the difference, but I like it." I get the impression you're saying the latter.

That's the way I feel about the 70s and early 80s. I can never remember which tune is "Pegasus", which tune is "Legend of the One Eyed Sailor" and which tune is "Channel One Suite", but I've listened to them all like a billion times.

And see, there's two ways of saying this. You could be saying "it's all just the same recycled junk" or you could be saying "It's out of my era and I can't really tell the difference, but I like it." I get the impression you're saying the latter.

That's the way I feel about the 70s and early 80s. I can never remember which tune is "Pegasus", which tune is "Legend of the One Eyed Sailor" and which tune is "Channel One Suite", but I've listened to them all like a billion times.

Well, to be honest, I don't like it. I liked being able to buy the cds and know which corps was which... and enjoy the music selection. I don't like today's arrangements, there's hardley any melody. Sounds more like licks and solos, no musical theme. I know I'm not the only one who thinks this and I've said this before.

On the other hand, I can name Channel One Suite, Russian Christmas Overture, Candide, etc. because that was when corps played most of the melody's from those pieces. I don't hear that anymore in corps today. I will admit that the visual aspect has grown leaps and bounds. Corps are doing things that weren't even thought of when I marched but I think what's losing is that because corps are spending so much time on visual effects and props, the music is getting lost and less time is being spent on music. I see allot of down time and holes where there's little or not music going on, or one section isn't playing for as long as a few minutes. Man, I would have loved to have that much down time when I was performing!

For me, I want to be entertained, it was all about the music being played on the field with the drill. The music drove the drill, not the other way around. It seems like DC today is putting the buggy before the horse. But again, this is just my opinion on the activity. I'm sure allot of people like it the way it is now. But most of people my age and older are the ones going to shows and buying merchandise. If corps do not start appealing to the people who pay for it, numbers will start (and already have) going down, along with the dollars. I can say for certain, this last finals will be the last I go to. And honestly, the only reason I went this year was because the tickets were a gift. But unless they are local shows, I'm not driving great distances to see a show nor will I buy videos and cds because why spend hundreds of dollars on something I don't enjoy to watch or listen to....