Direction of DCI...

Hi all,

With Finals only days behind us and closing yet another season, I can not help myself asking the question where DCI is headed. Over the last 6 years or so, I have slowly seen big changes to our great hobby been pushed through. The Madison Scouts Reunion Project has clearly proven that doing drum corps as it was, is still the way to go. It is obvious that there is an agenda to change the Drum corps activity by DCI and probably a few directors. I am sure we are all aware of these changes, but just to name a few..

Elimination of local circuits

Bb and F horns

Amplification

Woodwinds at I&E

These changes by itself have been justified for reasons I personally don't agree with, but that is a discussion on its own. But, looking at these changes from a distance over time, it is very clear to me that there has been an underlying motivation to slowly change DC. DCI is obviously moving Drum corps into a different direction. I am afraid that it is going slow enough that we don't really see it until it is too late.

Obviously some in DCI have seen that DC can make a few, a lot of $$. To be able to do that, the activity had to slim down. I will be bold and say that DCI is killing DC as it was and still should be. It started by killing the local circuits (DCM etc). This, in my opinion, has been the biggest downfall for DC. Without a strong local circuit, the smaller corps can't exist, and the fan base will shrink down!! It is this sole reason that many corps are falling by the wayside. My biggest frustration with this is, that DCI obviously does not have the kids/members in mind when making these changes, but only have their eyes on $$. If they did care about giving kids a summer activity, they would want to keep the smaller corps alive, to keep the fan base big, and to give more kids a chance to do DC in the summer. DCI on the other hand deliberately killed the local circuits to create a tour for just the big boys..

The change to Bb and F, amplification, and now Woodwinds at I&E, to me clearly is setting up DC in a few years when there are only a few big corps left and "we can't sustain a separate DC circuit", to join the bigger circuit of Bands (BOA etc..).

What is up with DCI wanting all Div 1 corps to be members of the DCI franchise next year, otherwise you will be div 2 or 3?... they are obviously tightening their grip on corps, and soon they will have full control.

Now, It is not too late to become aware of this, and prevent DC from dying, but time is starting to run out, and soon we will be at the point of no return. What to do?...

Looking forward what you all think.

Barry

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's 2006 and Amps are here with Bb Horns.

This year's finals was a true statement that whatever change happens, amazing shows can still come about.

Don't worry about it, just sit back, relax, and enjoy the show.

Indianapolis - moving their headquarters and everything

Well..DCI is going to Pasendena next year and then Indy for a couple of years.

Can we keep the dead horse on BD's flags and not here?? Pretty please??

:laugh:

:blink:

~>conner

South-south east about 150 miles

I love the way oosterwaal spell Reunion. :laugh:

drumhumorTerrance

Regardless of the snickering comments above, ALOT of folks agree with you. There has been ENDLESS discussion here about the subject, and I guess people are just tired of commenting over & over about it.

But again, ALOT of people are concerned with the direction of the activity, as directed by the overlords at DCI.