Direction of DCI...

South ... a couple of hundred miles.

Other than that, the only things constant in DCI history are:

1) Change

2) A segment of the fan base that feels DCI's changes bring bring about the Drum Corps Apocalypse.

Been the same Since 1972, and the end times still haven't seemed to arrive yet.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Regardless of the snickering comments above, ALOT of folks agree with you. There has been ENDLESS discussion here about the subject, and I guess people are just tired of commenting over & over about it.

But again, ALOT of people are concerned with the direction of the activity, as directed by the overlords at DCI.

########.

The "overlords" are the member corps. Every corps has an equal vote.

Div II and III corps have thier advisory board too.

The direction is just fine..don't you remember 10 years ago that we were worrying about their even being a DCI?? The current leadership has brought us back from the brink.

The Madison Scouts Reunion Project has clearly proven that doing drum corps as it was, is still the way to go.

This is a reckless oversimplification of the situation. If you think the MSARP was the success it was (and it was awesomely successful) simply because they played "Slaughter" and stood still for most of their show, you're being myopic. I understand you want things to be how they were "back when," whenever your "back when" may have been, but distorting this event to justify your opinion is... bad.

But again, ALOT of people are concerned with the direction of the activity, as directed by the overlords at DCI.

Ah yes, those evil DCI overlords, conspiring to ruin the activity that they work full time to support. In fact, here's a recent picture of Dan Acheson hard at work...

overlord.jpg

Save DCI from the Overlords!

Well..DCI is going to Pasendena next year and then Indy for a couple of years.

Can we keep the dead horse on BD's flags and not here?? Pretty please??

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

b**bs b**bs b**bs b**bs

I invited a co-worker to the Wednesday night show at Memorial. She had never seen a drum and bugle corps show before and other than my telling her stories about the reunion corps camps she had no preconceieved ideas about what drum corps was "supposed to be". The next day at work she said that the reunion corps was by far her favorite style. She said she like that more structured style as apposed to the run everywhere and through your body around style.

Hummm...maybe the current corps should have the freedom to pick the style they want and still achieve a good score if deserved.

:laugh:

Well,

So far it sounds like I stand (almost) alone in my fear of the death of Drum corps as we new it for a while. But who knows...

If in 5 years DCI has not merged with one of the band organizations, and smaller corps still do well in DC, I'll buy everyone who disagreed with me here a beer!!!! Otherwise you owe me one ;)

Again, I believe some in DCI have a different agenda, and that is changing the activity to be more profitable for a few. It is no longer for "the kids".

I have to be honest and say that I am disappointed that not many here could actually give an educated response, instead of just making fun. I do find this a serious issue, but,.. who am I.

B.

I have to be honest and say that I am disappointed that not many here could actually give an educated response, instead of just making fun. I do find this a serious issue, but,.. who am I.

You have to understand how many times this topic has already been raised, discussed, beaten, and buried in the past. Most regulars around here on either side of the fence are probably a little weary of it, and the discussions always seem to come down to "Is not!" vs. "Is too!" anyway.

As for "death of drum corps as we knew it," that's already happened time and again. Talk to the guys who lament the death of the pre-WWII drum corps for some perspective. Each of us has a different vision of what drum corps "should" be, but whatever our opinions are as spectators and alumni, they're not going to shape the actions of those who are actively involved in drum corps today. I don't like amps, but amps are here to stay, and me not liking them isn't going to change that. You don't like Bb horns, but guess what? Same thing. Whatever era in which any of us may have marched, we have to realize that it's someone else's ball game now. If you had a time machine (like me -- they're pretty sweet) and could go back to any year of drum corps in the past few decades, there'd always be an "old guard" complaining about how much things have changed. The only difference now is that we have the Internet. No need to fear the death of drum corps: it's happened, it's happening, and will continue to happen. It's called "change."

The Madison Scouts Reunion Project has clearly proven that doing drum corps as it was, is still the way to go.

No it wasn't. It was quaint. It was nostalgic. It was fun. It was even good. But it was in no way a barometer for the future. And I remember when drum major Daniel Van Heusen (or however he spells his name) was conducting on the field in competition, not exhibition.

Complain about modern drum corps if you want. But don't mistake applause for reunion corps such as the Scouts as indicators of general dislike for today's corps. I cheered for the Scouts. No way though that I'd want 12 of those shows on finals night.

HH