"audience award"

I don't see why they couldnt just give each person a single ballot as they entered the stadium (a lot like the way they do handouts to fans at ballgames). If it was scantron based I don't see why they couldn't have them all counted by the next night.

Hmm, who is going to count almost 20,000 ballots (assuming everyone votes)? That would take more than a few hours, unless you had an army of people.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's great to see such a casual disregard for such a large portion of the paying audience just because of their age.

Whoa there. If they are paying audience then what's stopping them form paying for program. Just like anyone else there: if you want to vote -- buy a program. If you don't -- then don't. How is that disregard for anyone? Geez, this is just idle speculation for a "fun" award anyway ....

It's great to see such a casual disregard for such a large portion of the paying audience just because of their age.

It goes both ways. As people pointed out, text messaging would target the youth and snub the older fans, while ballots in the programs would have the inverse effect. I didn't see you complain about the snub to older fans if text messaging were used. Or is that just casual disregard for a large portion of the paying audience as well? (i.e., the older fans who tend to pay more for their tickets, attend more shows, buy the programs, join Friends of DCI, etc.).

I'm just countering. Someone else was the first to shoot down an idea because it was "biased towards the younger fans".

Gotcha. If this were to be done, there would always be some sort of unfairness or lack of equal access to all no matter what method was chosen. I mean, age aside, you'd could also have the "home corps advantage" at play, too. That's why I think that, if it were done, it would always have to be viewed with a grain of salt -- a "fun" award. Still, I think the winning corps would appreciate the acknowledgement regardless.

It goes both ways. As people pointed out, text messaging would target the youth and snub the older fans, while ballots in the programs would have the inverse effect. I didn't see you complain about the snub to older fans if text messaging were used. Or is that just casual disregard for a large portion of the paying audience as well? (i.e., the older fans who tend to pay more for their tickets, attend more shows, buy the programs, join Friends of DCI, etc.).

Nice try, but I didn't even post in this thread promoting one system over the other. I think this kind of "fan voting" thing will fail no matter how it's done. I only posted because someone else was doing exactly the same thing you're accusing me of: ripping on one system because it might be harder for them while having no problem making things harder for another group.

Edited by Morgoth Bauglir

Nice try, but I didn't even post in this thread promoting one system over the other. I think this kind of "fan voting" thing will fail no matter how it's done. I only posted because someone else was doing exactly the same thing you're accusing me of: ripping on one system because it might be harder for them while having no problem making things harder for another group.

I suggest you re-read your two posts where you made it clear that ballots in the programs favored the older fans and the younger fans were jipped, followed by your comment on how there is a casual disregard for a large portion of the fans. It seemed pretty clear there was a bias.

I agree with you though - no system will be perfect (as many others have pointed out).

I did read them. I said nothing for or against text messaging. I only pointed out that someone who made the initial comment about one system "being skewed" had no problem with that skew if it favored him. That is the only thing any of my posts address.

Edited by Morgoth Bauglir

I did read them. I said nothing for or against text messaging. I only pointed out that someone who made the initial comment about one system "being skewed" had no problem with that skew if it favored him. That is the only thing any of my posts address.

Hence my comment on your bias - not commenting on the bias of text messaging. Whatever. You don't get my point. I'm done.