"audience award"

What would you think if DCI were to give out an "audience award" at Finals? Would it have any overarching effect on the activity? (Probably not, IMO.) Since computer voting can be hacked so easily and isn't usually a representative sample anyway, I'd advocate using actual paper ballots either at Semifinals (if they could spare the people to get 'em counted in time for Saturday night) or at the various "major events."

Who would've won this season?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say use crowd meters. You know, the measuring tools to see who yells the loudest. Which ever corps gets the biggest response at the end wins the award.

Even a paper ballot could be filled out any number of times. I don't see DCI hiring the personnel needed to prevent even paper-ballot stuffing.

If there were a feasible, fool-proof way of running this then I would be in favor of it. Strikes me as one of those things that couldn't hurt. If fans don't take to it, it could easily be discontinued.

Even a paper ballot could be filled out any number of times. I don't see DCI hiring the personnel needed to prevent even paper-ballot stuffing.

Put 'em in the program -- you don't get a ballot unless you buy a program. B)

Edited by Orpheus

Actually, I think this would be pretty easy using cell phones. Text number 1 for Cavies, 2 for BD.... 12 for Spirit (based on performance order) to number 555-1234 during a specific time period announced during the show. Can easily be set up to only accept one vote per incoming phone number. Sure, someone could call all their friends around the country and have them do it, too, but that's just a risk we'll have to take -- especially considering it's kind of a "fun" award anyway.

Fully computerized. Low cost. No extra personnel needed. Not perfect but effective.

Actually, I think this would be pretty easy using cell phones. Text number 1 for Cavies, 2 for BD.... 12 for Spirit (based on performance order) to number 555-1234 during a specific time period announced during the show. Can easily be set up to only accept one vote per incoming phone number. Sure, someone could call all their friends around the country and have them do it, too, but that's just a risk we'll have to take -- especially considering it's kind of a "fun" award anyway.

Fully computerized. Low cost. No extra personnel needed. Not perfect but effective.

Does this mean Simon, Paula, and Randy will sit next to Brandt Crocker at Finals? :D

On a serious note, DCA is doing something along these lines. From the DCA website:

Fans vote at the Championship!

Here's your big chance to let your voice be heard! Fans attending the World Championship Preliminaries on Saturday, September 2 will have a chance to vote for the corps they liked best. The corps that receives the most votes will be given the Pepe Notaro People's Choice Award.

Three alumni corps will also be chosen as winners by the fans at the Alumni Spectacular on Sunday, September 3.

Official ballots will be in each copy of the 2006 DCA World Championship program on sale at the stadium. Winning corps will be announced at Finals on Sunday evening, September 3.