Potential Danger

First of all, I don't think Hopkins had anything to do with this proposal. Yes, I realize he has said on occasion that he envisions 10 or 15 supercorps, and I fail to understand what he is driving at. I think these are two different issues. YEA runs a lot of band shows so GH is accustomed to seeing tons of bands and kids and he tends to focus on the scholastic side of things. His ideas on this side of things, and how drum corps relates to them, is one thing, but somewhat different from the proposal that the corps directors will focus on in September.

He may be right about the number of supercorps, but the good folks at DCI are trying to expand the activity as best they can. They must protect the health of the activity, and the corps must adhere to certain standards in order to protect their future. I don't think the business model that ultimately gets put into place will be done so in order to hurt anyone. I believe the activity will always welcome expansion, as well as administer to the health of the existing corps and their ability to tour.

Many of the issues that Cowtown brings up go way beyond governance structure. And he makes some good points. But some of those things were bound to happen, and the long list of corps that are no longer with us cannot be blamed on DCI...or George Hopkins. We've debated this often on this forum, and I miss those corps as much as anyone. I also miss prelims (in the morning), I do miss G bugles and small pits (although I also like what we have today), and I miss a good ole fashioned Patriotic show. I miss corps like Bridgemen and VK because they gave us something so unique and entertaining, and we have nothing like those two at the moment. I miss the frequency of shows locally or regionally, and I really miss the PBS telecast. Hey, count me in for missing all of those things. They were all good for this activity.

But I can't blame DCI for the direction it must take, nor can I blame the corps for doing what they must to exist, thrive, recruit, get the kids down the road and back home safely, and to remain competitive. I also can't predict the future. What started this thread was a post that made all kinds of assumptions about the death of DCI, how the little guy was going to get hurt, how certain people were going to take over DCI, yet no proof was offered. This has now scared a lot of people who want answers when none have been offered, at least not publicly. DCI and the active corps are full of amazing people. They care. They want growth. They want what's best for fans and for the members. They want a healthy DCI. Until more is known, damaging comments, like those in the initial post, will only scare more poeple while offering little evidence of the so-called problem.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DCP worry too much.

The story I've been hearing is that division II/III corps would become members just like the division I corps, and that all corps would vote to select who is on this new executive board. Like today, that new executuve board is intended to include a mix of corps directors and outside experts. Is any of the above incorrect?

That sounds good to me. I like the board of directors idea as long as they are independent and not made up of corps directors or anyone currently working for a corps. I think the current model is the one that's setup for power mongering and decisions that benefit the "rich and richer."

It's no secret that when Sam Mitchell was Executive Director of DCI, he had proposed a new "chapter" for the organization. To be honest, I understood his logic at the time, although I didn't want to see it happen. There was a pall hanging over DCI unlike anything I'd ever seen before, and there were good reasons for it. Then Dan came in with the attitude that if something was wrong, drum corps was too important for it not to be fixed. And today, we can't even imagine that earlier period, although we all know we went through it.

Change and evolution have been going on ever since, and overall, (despite what one might think about some of of he competitive or creative issues), it's been good for the activity. We're no longer talking about drum corps dying...We're actually looking at ways to posture the activity for it to grow and thrive and deal with the issues of today and the perceived issues of tomorrow. DCI is no longer in the position of reacting to the marketplace, but creating the marketplace. Compare the attendence at all the regionals (including ones that didn't exist a few years ago) and it's clear that new markets are being tapped.

If drum corps isn't going to be around in five years as stated in the initial posting, someone better tell all these new people to go get a new hobby.

Man Mike...good and reassuring post...Have you considered journalism as a career :)

If DCI is really the evil empire you suspect, maybe you could get a different hobby. You know, one you could promote instead of tear down...

Instead of wringing your hands at the "demise" of DCI, call someone you trust (and if you don't trust anyone, I think I can identify the problem). After the financial debacle that was Birmingham, DCI was literally days (hours?) from closing the doors. Don't think this stuff happens without the hard work of everyone involved, not just a few greedy hands, cause no one gets rich in drum corps. If they did, I'd be in it, too.

My favorite post ever. :worthy:

Oh and BTW..if corpsreps listed a corps placement as 205, that means that they finished 5th in division II or Class A. There have never been more than 2000 active corps competing at the national level..ever. :blink:

haahaaa :worthy:

Man Mike...good and reassuring post...Have you considered journalism as a career :)

I have, but The Onion said I was too much of an absurdist to appeal to their audience. :)

Fewer local corps (I miss you...Racine scouts ...

Better not tell the corps that competed in Division III in Madison that they no longer exist.

Better not tell the corps that competed in Division III in Madison that they no longer exist.

There has been somewhat of a reduction in the smaller groups, though...even 10 years ago, there were 33 Division III corps for Prelims...this year, only 16.

Edited by bawker

who does DCI Serve?

Looks like DCI

(Yes, I know...DCI is the drum corps, kind of like the NHL is pro hockey teams, how'd ya'll like that stike season?)

I live in Chicago. We treated the hockey strike with gratitude, as it meant we had a year's break from being embarrased by the Blackhawks. :P

The current broadcast format is a teaser, a broadcast promotion of drum corps. If people could record the full performances like in the old days on PBS, they'd have less incentive to purchase the official product. Looking at the '05 revenue statements on DCI's 990, sale of merchandise is a significant portion of their overall revenue. All of this points to "good business practice", and is TOTALLY consistent with one of the aims of the founders of DCI (to make sure that the corps were being compensated for their effort).

Little corps started dying in the 70s, but it's hard to pin much of it on DCI. The little corps I marched with from 74-77 finally had no more money because they had management that couldn't put together a sound funding plan to grow the organization. That problem was being repeated throughout the late 70s up here in the buckle of the drum corps belt. Drum corps' peak involvement mirrored the baby boom; as the boomers aged out of potential membership in the late 70s, it made sense that there were fewer parents to fund and volunteer time with a time and money intensive activity like drum corps. Add in the competitive marching band boom of the 80s and 90s, and you have a lot of kids who might have wanted to march drum corps in high school who now feel (or are told... :sshh: ) that they're getting a similar experience in high school MB.

Maybe it's cuz I come from the non-profit world, but a relatively small Board of informed, independent Directors can be the best thing for an organization. I've worked with companies with Boards of 24+ active members, and trust me, Board meetings are usually twice as long and half as productive as they should be. Large boards can make sense for an org who depends on their Board members to be personal funders/guarantors of their company (if you want to be on the Board of most big-city symphonies or theatres, plan on personally raising $50,000+ each year you're on). But DCI doesn't require their Board members to be individual funders, so they don't really NEED that many people on the active Board. Get it down to 5 or 7 members who are all totally vested with the responsibility of working together with management to further the org's mission statement, and you end up with a non-profit that has the ability to move quickly like the best for-profits.

Not to be too pointed, but for those concerned about the littler corps and their relationship with DCI, ask yourself this. If DCI wasn't around to host Div 2 and 3 national Championships, who would do it? The corps themselves? Not likely - it would be too expensive to produce. In essence, the smaller corps national championship is able to ride piggy back on the larger corps' event. Yet they still go on, even though DCI can't be making much if anything on their events.. That, to me, is a solid indicator of the responsibility DCI feels toward the smaller corps in the activity.

Edited by mobrien