Potential Danger

So, uh, the whole plan is basically that the member corps of DCI (however that will be determined) will appoint a BOD to take care of things for them, and major decisions will still be made through a vote of a congress made of representatives of the member corps?

Actually, that sounds a heckuva lot like Drum Corps Associates. And, right now, the big talk around the all-age realm of drum corps is how DCA is fostering smart and steady growth. Maybe it's a matter of DCI looking at DCA and thinking, "Gee, why didn't we think of that?"

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in Chicago. We treated the hockey strike with gratitude, as it meant we had a year's break from being embarrased by the Blackhawks. :P

The problem is...I'm still embarrased by the Blackhawks. They still suck!! I'll still root for them, however. :sshh:

Go Pat Foleyless Hawks,

Gregg

w/Stp:

Not to be too pointed, but for those concerned about the littler corps and their relationship with DCI, ask yourself this. If DCI wasn't around to host Div 2 and 3 national Championships, who would do it? The corps themselves? Not likely - it would be too expensive to produce. In essence, the smaller corps national championship is able to ride piggy back on the larger corps' event. Yet they still go on, even though DCI can't be making much if anything on their events.. That, to me, is a solid indicator of the responsibility DCI feels toward the smaller corps in the activity.

Oh, so very true. I've been in enough meetings where I've heard Division II & III discussed to know that the Division I directors DO have an interest in fostering the Division II & III side of the activity, and they are willing to see DCI pay for it because it needs to happen. This is not a money-maker for DCI (based on the relative number of tickets sold), but there is a responsibility here that the Division I directors take seriously.

Oh, so very true. I've been in enough meetings where I've heard Division II & III discussed to know that the Division I directors DO have an interest in fostering the Division II & III side of the activity, and they are willing to see DCI pay for it because it needs to happen. This is not a money-maker for DCI (based on the relative number of tickets sold), but there is a responsibility here that the Division I directors take seriously.

:worthy: Really a good sign for the future of Drum Corps. Glad that both DCA and DCI finally recognize the fact that you don't measure the health of DC just by what the top corps are doing.

My dad was involved in the founding of DCI. The original intent of the founders was to make it as democratic as possible: one corps, one vote; profit sharing, etc. This was a reaction to the VFW/AL systems that were purely dictatorial. It may not be the most efficient business model, but it was designed to prevent a small group of people from taking control of the activity.

It's no secret that Geo. Hopkins wants to shrink the activity to 10 "supercorps". He said so publicly in an interview posted on BlueDevils.org in 2001. Reducing the size of the BOD is part of that plan.

And there we go! We were all wondering who would be the first to blame this on George Hopkins. Congratulations not even reading the first post.

Those against inclide the YEA groups and others.

No really, congratulations.

PS - He said that he would like to make a new division with anything goes rules. Not eliminate any other corps.

After all these years of DCI promising more, I’m getting less but paying more:

Tickets prices are through the roof

Can you give me a year and a ticket price for comparison?

Fewer local shows (I miss DeKalb)

Fewer local corps (I miss you guardsmen, kilties jr. corp., knights, rivermen, Illiana lancers, west allis wranglers, kiltie kadets, vaqueros, Americanos, los charros, cavie cadets, Madison jr scouts, bandettes, sagnieres, marion cadets, Star of Indiana, Racine scouts and all the others that entertained me through the years …)

Umm... I don't know about all of them, but a good portion of those that you named were full touring corps, so I'm not sure why you had to use the local qualifier. Also, you appear to be completely ignoring factors other than DCI in the decreased number of corps.

Finals attendance is fairly stale, defiantly not showing a steady progression of growth that would keep a CEO employed for the last 20 year

I don't know about the last 2 years but for several years prior we were on a steady rise in Finals attendance. Dan Acheson can't control everything, and it's silly to think he could. There are so many factors when it comes to attendance that it's not even funny.

The broadcast is now on Cable TV (yes, I don’t have cable) not free TV, and it use to be more than just a package show (don’t know what it will be this year, many never know)

More people are likely to watch something on ESPN than PBS. Those people are who the broadcast is targeted towards. The hardcore fans will go to shows or buy DVDs. The broadcast is all about getting new people interested in drum corps, which will HELP your previous complaints.

So what’s in it for me?

The continued existance of drum corps. Something that you probably wouldn't have if it wasn't for some of the changes DCI has made over the years.

You also have the pleasure of not managing a huge company like DCI and being criticized for everything you do no matter what.

Where is the pay off?

Where is the better?

How did DCI make it better for the fan?

The payoff is getting more young people involved in DCI. As fans and members.

And save that quality of the few corps being better, the Blue Devils, SVC et all were always amongst the top corps, their shows would have evolved after they left the VFW circuit regardless and paying $40 bucks to squint at a CPU screen, hoping the net don't crash is not what I would call being better than seeing a local show

Hahaha, the Blue Devils have not always been amongst the top corps. They didn't even really start competing until 74 and I don't even know that they have ever been in a VFW show. SCV has a very similar history. Your point would have been better made using Cavies and Cadets who have won I believe 12 and 19 championships respectively. Season Pass comes with a lot more than the live streams, you should browse the recordings and other features. I agree however that the stream isn't as good as seeing a local show, but are you honestly so selfish that you would want them to have every big regional in your back yard?

who does DCI Serve?

Looks like DCI

(Yes, I know...DCI is the drum corps, kind of like the NHL is pro hockey teams, how'd ya'll like that stike season?)

You nailed this one. DCI does serve DCI and DCI is the drum corps.

So DCI serves the drum corps and acts in what they believe to be their best interests. Why would DCI try to kill drum corps? That would be putting themselves out of a job.