Jackson MS show

i know the finals were held here in 1993, but do you think a show could come back? i know housing was a big issue, but with a show there would not be as many corps and plus new schools have been built. both i went to (middle and high school) have plenty of space for housing 2 corps. sleeping space and more than enough fields. if DCI really wanted to, they could cram 3 corps into each school. plus the high school was built in 2002 and the middle school was built in 1996. there is still the same stadium from 1993, but there have been more built since then. and i know with the Jackson Generals around here, more people are starting to know a little more about drum corps. its just a thought, since personaly i think they need more shows in the southeast.

please discuss...

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't remember the name of the school, but there's a good-looking venue called Robinson-Hale Stadium in nearby Clinton that looks like it could function well for a show and seats about 8500:

Clinton%20MS%20Robinson-Hale%20Stadium%208500.jpg

Edited by Galen

i know the finals were held here in 1993, but do you think a show could come back? i know housing was a big issue, but with a show there would not be as many corps and plus new schools have been built.

Hey Patrick (fellow mello)!

There are enough very nice housing sights in the Jackson area to support even a large show.

The issue in 93 I think was poor planning and poor timing. Alot of housing had to moved at

the last minute because some schools had already started school and decided that they didn't

want a bunch of high school and college age half naked people running around the school.

It's unfortunate that so many had such a bad experience there. Most of the Jackson area is

very nice, but most of what people saw in 93 were the worst parts.

If planned properly, a show in Jackson is very do-able and could be a pleasant experience.

Can't remember the name of the school, but there's a good-looking venue called Robinson-Hale Stadium in nearby Clinton that looks like it could function well for a show and seats about 8500

That's my alma mater - Mississippi College. B)

In 93, Blue Knights stayed here.

Up until 2 months ago I lived in Clinton. I lived there for 20 years. Very nice place.

I have to say that I was sad that my tour this summer did not hit Mississippi this year.....largely due to the Pascagoula show being washed out (###### Katrina!)

Hopefully Tupelo will not be the only one and DCI will add another Mississippi show. It's good for the area :)

What was Bluecoats site like in 1993? Spirit's site wasn't that bad, ultimately, but it was about the worst we had all season. Some stuff was stolen from us during our time in Jackson and the bugs/snakes were actually worse than the handful of days we spent in Florida at the beginning of tour.

I was told by members of Boston that their site was brutal because of things other than the school they were at. Apparently it was really close to a chicken processing plant, as I recall, and the odor was making people ill. Also, while rehearsing, some helicopter flew over spraying stuff.

What was Bluecoats site like in 1993? Spirit's site wasn't that bad, ultimately, but it was about the worst we had all season. Some stuff was stolen from us during our time in Jackson and the bugs/snakes were actually worse than the handful of days we spent in Florida at the beginning of tour.

I was told by members of Boston that their site was brutal because of things other than the school they were at. Apparently it was really close to a chicken processing plant, as I recall, and the odor was making people ill. Also, while rehearsing, some helicopter flew over spraying stuff.

I was marching with Boston and all that was true. And to top things off we also had standing water in the mens locker room that had been there a while before we got there. It had Craw Dad's swimming in it. :worthy: We had to take the football teams training tires and make a path to take showers. Then there was the laundry mat. With the spent rounds littering the parking lot.Not a fun experience.

yeah, it really sucks that so many corps had a bad experience while they were here. i can promise you that things have changed. and yes, high school band camps do start around the end of July, so the show would have to be earlier in the season. I really would like to get this started. I hate tellin people i was in drum corps and they are like "you play the drums?" or "what is that?". the only thing people know about around here really is Lion's Band. I think drum corps needs to be introduced to this area again. The people that do know about it only know about the top Div. I corps and maybe a few others. Think about it, if we were to have a show that included Memphis Sound, Spirit, Revo and Teal Sound, I really think that could help out those corps. I know that marching bands around here are already very competative. so if we could let people know about the smaller corps, then some of that talent would transfer, making them place better at finals which would then have them catch the eye of more people which would then in turn have more people show up at auditions.

just some thoughts....

What was Bluecoats site like in 1993?

It was in one of the worst parts of Jackson. We had to walk down a street littered

with dilapidated crack houses to get to our practice field. Other than going to

our practice field (which we did as a group) we really couldn't go anywhere

outside of our housing site.

I don't think we had any incidents though. The worst that happened is supposedly

a couple locals came into the gym trying to pawn some jewelry to some of the

members of the corps.

Apparently, other corps had it worse. As you pointed out, BAC had a tough time.

I've heard rumors that shots were fired near (at?) someones housing site.

That's what you get for arranging housing in the inner city.

The suburbs of Jackson are just as nice and safe as any other city suburbs (if not more so).