Bluecoats bass hole on finals night.

Alright, so I haven't been around DCP in the last week because I've been dealing with returning from tour, so I'm not sure if this has been covered already. I noticed on finals night that Bluecoats only had four basses but I was pretty sure I saw five at quarters and someone I know said they saw five at semis also. So, does anyone know why there were only 4 basses on finals night? Hopefully it wasn't a BD 2000 type issue.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, so I haven't been around DCP in the last week because I've been dealing with returning from tour, so I'm not sure if this has been covered already. I noticed on finals night that Bluecoats only had four basses but I was pretty sure I saw five at quarters and someone I know said they saw five at semis also. So, does anyone know why there were only 4 basses on finals night? Hopefully it wasn't a BD 2000 type issue.

from what I understand, he has a blister on his foot that became infected and developed into cellulitis ( a hardening of muscle groups infected by a certain bacteria) and was hospitalized.

That's was bad news! I hope that he is well.

drumdoctorTerrance :)

So do I terrance... my daughter has cellulitis when she was younger... she was on an iv for a week to fight the infection. <**>

there weren't 5 at quarters.... there were 4.

edited for my absolutely awful grammar mistake.

~>conner

Edited by PhantomR

We were leaving the stadium bar before the towards the end of intermission at quarterfinals (just as the Bluecoats' staff were checking in :P)...according to a visual instructor, the bass drummer did indeed develop a very serious infection in one of his feet / legs and was hospitalized. The line closed his spot visually and musically, a rather impressive feat with a week left in the season.

from what I understand, he has a blister on his foot that became infected and developed into cellulitis ( a hardening of muscle groups infected by a certain bacteria) and was hospitalized.

You can also get it from mosquitos. Two years ago, the mosquitos were so bad I had to put on repellent at noon while trying to do some gardening. The next day I could barely get out of bed. I stayed in bed three solid days unable to eat or even get up the energy to take my daily shower. All I could do was sleep. The fourth day I felt my energy was back, but my right leg felt weird. I got out of bed and it was fire engine red. I got to my doctor right away and he diagnosed it as cellulitis, something I had never heard of before. I had to have an ultrasound to remove all doubt that it wasn't a blood clot, then went on antibiotics. Two years later, my right kneecap is still much larger than my left. I was very lucky, I've since found out.

You can also get cellulitis from dirt. It's nothing to be taken lightly. I hope he's doing okay now. What a bummer to come down with it prior to the World Championships, and what a credit to the bass drum line that they were able to cover for the missing drum.

Actually, covering for a missing bass is easier than trying fit someone in, even if they have the chops. Fixing the drill is the real trick, depending how it was written. You might just open up the intervals, or if you are lucky the bass line is the end of the drumline form, so you just move everyone up a spot (if #5 you just end with #4). Hopefully not too much adjustment is needed, but losing any member late in the season stinks. Losing valuably rehearsal time changing drill and parts, and the poor kid misses out in many cases.

Blue Devils did this in '88 I think. Lost a guy early on and just never filled the hole. Surf did it one year as well.

I saw a clip of Bluecoats, it does look like they moved the #4 guy to the #5 bigger drum. Can anyone confirm?